Street/strip tire advice please.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Racer9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Truck currently has 22's, 32"x9.5" tires are like new. I have a set of 17's that need tires.
I am lowering the truck and am concerned about the 22's rubbing, mostly the front.
The truck is going to be a nice summer driver, taken to shows and dragged occasionally. I have another truck that is my daily which I will use to haul the Ram any distance to race.
Current options;
1: Run the 22's and hope they don't rub.
2: Get a set of tires for the 17's. Those tires will almost surely be shorter and narrower. That will actually lower the truck a little extra, but possibly less traction on the track. Rpm change isn't enough to worry about as long as I stay around 30". I can get a pair for the rear that are 30"x8.7", and some fronts that are 30"x7". I like the wide rear, narrow front tire look. I'm not sure how those will hook, so I could...
3: Get a pair of rear tires just for the track. Those could also be shorter giving me a little extra rpm.
4: Go to 20", those seem to be more money but also more popular, so more sizes.
5: ????Advice????
Thanks.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Truck currently has 22's, 32"x9.5" tires are like new. I have a set of 17's that need tires.
I am lowering the truck and am concerned about the 22's rubbing, mostly the front.
The truck is going to be a nice summer driver, taken to shows and dragged occasionally. I have another truck that is my daily which I will use to haul the Ram any distance to race.
Current options;
1: Run the 22's and hope they don't rub.
2: Get a set of tires for the 17's. Those tires will almost surely be shorter and narrower. That will actually lower the truck a little extra, but possibly less traction on the track. Rpm change isn't enough to worry about as long as I stay around 30". I can get a pair for the rear that are 30"x8.7", and some fronts that are 30"x7". I like the wide rear, narrow front tire look. I'm not sure how those will hook, so I could...
3: Get a pair of rear tires just for the track. Those could also be shorter giving me a little extra rpm.
4: Go to 20", those seem to be more money but also more popular, so more sizes.
5: ????Advice????
Thanks.
For drag racing you want to use the smallest diameter rim you can (your 17's) and a tire around 28/29 inches tall so you have some sidewall to flex and help with traction.
I run 305/45/17 Mickey ET Street R's on both the truck and car,and both pull sub 1.6 60fts,but i wouldn't daily them,as they're not the best in the rain,and they also have a relatively short life span as a street tire.

Attachments

• IMG_4846 (2).JPG
    IMG_4846 (2).JPG
    182.6 KB · Views: 5
OP
OP
Racer9

Racer9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah, that's about what I was thinking. I was kind of hoping to just buy 4 tires, but I guess in order to get good results I need 6.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Yeah, that's about what I was thinking. I was kind of hoping to just buy 4 tires, but I guess in order to get good results I need 6.
Mickey Thompson has a 17 X 9" rim that's fairly light at 24 lbs,and if you can get them on sale,they can be one of the better bargains. You want the 17" 5 on 5.5" versions if you do consider them

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357