Tire Size Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lmeavtitn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Rebel
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I want to get new tires before snow sets in as the factory tires did not do me well last year in the snow. I have already settled on a size as overall height is about the same but it's just wider. I was wondering if anyone has run 305/65r17 on their truck yet and if anyone can post pictures. Thanks!

Last edited:

laffs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What tire size is that? Also for snow tires you usually want to go narrower vs wider.

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
the toyo at2's didnt do well in the snow? thats very surprising. im curious what tire you plan on running instead.

OP
OP
lmeavtitn

lmeavtitn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Rebel
Engine
5.7 HEMI
the toyo at2's didnt do well in the snow? thats very surprising. im curious what tire you plan on running instead.

Terrible in the snow. They are the OEM version of the AT2's though. The "aftermarket" version that you would buy at a tire shop is a different tire, even though it is called the same. The oem tire does not have the same sipe cuts in it and the tread compound is slightly different. This is the reason why most tires that you would get on a new a vehicle do not have the same milage warranty as an aftermarket tire you would get from a tire retailer.

What tire size is that? Also for snow tires you usually want to go narrower vs wider.

The factory size is 285/70r17 and the size I'm wanting to go with is 305/70r17. They are both roughly 32.7" tall. The oem size is roughly 11.2" wide and the size I want to get is roughly 12". I know that going to a wider tire usually isn't a good thing but it's less than an inch wider. Also, the at2's are only m/s rated while the BFG KO2's I'm looking at are m/s and severe snow flake rated so I feel like I would be much better off, even going with a wider tire.

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Best check ya math. The 305's are 33.8 inches tall; the 285's are indeed 32'7". If you went with a 305/65 you'd be at 32.6".

I will mostly agree with you that tire tread design is more important than width on snow. The best snow tires actually pick up a little bit of snow, using the ice crystals to dramatically increase surface area of the tire; the snow on the tire actually sticks to the snow on the ground, (think making a snowman). The more narrow the tire the better it tends to be on ice, especially if studded, as the narrower width increases the weight ok the tires contact patch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
lmeavtitn

lmeavtitn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Rebel
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Best check ya math. The 305's are 33.8 inches tall; the 285's are indeed 32'7". If you went with a 305/65 you'd be at 32.6".

I will mostly agree with you that tire tread design is more important than width on snow. The best snow tires actually pick up a little bit of snow, using the ice crystals to dramatically increase surface area of the tire; the snow on the tire actually sticks to the snow on the ground, (think making a snowman). The more narrow the tire the better it tends to be on ice, especially if studded, as the narrower width increases the weight ok the tires contact patch.

sorry...that was a typo. factory is 285/70r17. I want to go to 305/65r17. 305/65 and 285/70 are almost the same height. I was typing on my phone it its a total PIA.

OP
OP
lmeavtitn

lmeavtitn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Rebel
Engine
5.7 HEMI

Thanks for the advice. I work in the tire industry and understand the dynamics. haha I'm just looking for pictures if anyone has it for look. I'm pretty set on 305/65r17.

eljefe

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I'll probably sound like a ******* asking this, but is your truck factory height?

DS Iceman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Sorry, I don't want to hijack this thread but I see this asks about tire size. I just joined and need to figure out where to put my own questions.

I have a stock 2014 Dodge Ram 2500 Outdoorsman. It came with Firestone TransForce AT 285/60R20 and it is finally time to replace them. I did some research and I know the stock tires had a diameter of 33.46 and I had a fair amount of room in the front, more in the back.

I want to upgrade the tires especially in size and am looking at the Nitto Terra Grappler G2 LT295/65R20 which has a diameter of 35.12. As far as I can tell, everything else will fit (rim size/width) Does anyone know if these will fit without a leveling kit? I don't want to rub at max flex or anything and wouldn't mind another inch or two of ground clearance.

Anyone have good reviews for a bigger tire than stock for their 2014 2500 Ram?

Any info people can share would be helpful. Thanks.