TIRES FOR HEAVY HAULING

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Billet Bee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 HOHD
We have a massive fifth wheel rv that's our home. Our nexens have made it 2 years but now i had a side wall on a steer tire rupture so I'm thinking about which brand to go with. What's everyone going to that are hauling heavy (27k) trailers for mostly Hwy miles? I'm not really interested in changing sizes but I am curious if anyone is going with a load range g or h instead of there e rating?

Last edited:

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Pretty broad question..... you need to know the weight you are carrying on the truck (pin weight + load in the truck) and ensure you are not overloading your truck or the tires. If you are within your listed axle weights (on the door sticker) you shouldn't be overloading your tires (assuming proper inflation and assuming someone hasn't installed the wrong load range tires). Can we assume with a 27K 5th wheel you're truck is DRW?

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
The Nexens that come on our duallies are junk. I barely got 20k out of them until I switched to Falken Wildpeaks and they've been great with excellent traction and minimal wear in the last 20k mi.
Asking for a tire recommendations is like asking what's the best oil. The info is already out there and there are plenty that are great.

OP
OP
Billet Bee

Billet Bee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 HOHD
Pretty broad question..... you need to know the weight you are carrying on the truck (pin weight + load in the truck) and ensure you are not overloading your truck or the tires. If you are within your listed axle weights (on the door sticker) you shouldn't be overloading your tires (assuming proper inflation and assuming someone hasn't installed the wrong load range tires). Can we assume with a 27K 5th wheel you're truck is DRW?
Is it a duelly, that's a joke right , cause no srw can haul a 27k trailer.
My pl is 5200 and I'm at 5200
Front axle is at 5200 and rated for 6000
Rear axle is at 8800 and rated for 9750
Tires are of coarse e rated which means just over 3k on each
Fronts at 80 psi, rears at 65 psi per specs
Nexens are junk and we all know that.
I need a recommendation for a hd tire

OP
OP
Billet Bee

Billet Bee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 HOHD
The Nexens that come on our duallies are junk. I barely got 20k out of them until I switched to Falken Wildpeaks and they've been great with excellent traction and minimal wear in the last 20k mi.
Asking for a tire recommendations is like asking what's the best oil. The info is already out there and there are plenty that are great.
Agreed nexen are junk, ill check out falkens , do you remember what model of falken. Tyvm

OP
OP
Billet Bee

Billet Bee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 HOHD

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
Bridgstone Duravis R500s have a closed shoulder and wear the best on the front on a dually on mine. Set the toe-in per Thuren specs. They were recommended by a hot-shotter buddy of mine, and it was good advice.

OP
OP
Billet Bee

Billet Bee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 HOHD
Bridgstone Duravis R500s have a closed shoulder and wear the best on the front on a dually on mine. Set the toe-in per Thuren specs. They were recommended by a hot-shotter buddy of mine, and it was good advice.
I just researched these and there an extremlly good option to put on the list. Do you know the differance between the r500 and r700, they both look good?

OP
OP
Billet Bee

Billet Bee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 HOHD
how does everyone feel about these choices?
Michelin ltx a/t2
Bf Goodrich commercial all season ta2
Michelin agilis cross climate it
Michelin defenders
Continental terrain contact h/t lt

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
You're in South Dakota. Your severe winters also demand snow rated tires unless you snowbird in the winter.

Two top tires for traction are General Grabber ATX and Falken Wildpeak AT3. General made in USA, Falken made in Thailand.

Go with @tjfdesmo front steer tire recommendation.

tallfetcher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I have the wildpeak at3 load rage E on my truck and they have been a very tough tire, but i don't haul anything close to what you do. The bridgestone duravis should be a great tire or the Firestone Transforce AT2 or HT2. I've put those on hot shot drivers trucks before and they were very happy with them!

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Is it a duelly, that's a joke right
I hang out on a lot of RV message boards and you'd be surprised :)

So, right at payload but under axle weights so you don't "need" a higher rating but I can understand wanting to go that way. I'm not too familiar with DRW trucks - are the rims all rated to handle the higher PSI with a higher rating? Like you say the Nexens are crap so your problems would likely be solved just by going with a better brand. If I had to just pick a brand I'd say Michelin as long as your driving is just on paved roads. I personally am not a fan of anything Bridgestone.

OP
OP
Billet Bee

Billet Bee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 HOHD
You're in South Dakota. Your severe winters also demand snow rated tires unless you snowbird in the winter.

Two top tires for traction are General Grabber ATX and Falken Wildpeak AT3. General made in USA, Falken made in Thailand.

Wer are full time rvers so we go where the weather takes us, and being in the cold ain't it:fishing1:

OP
OP
Billet Bee

Billet Bee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 HOHD

Both are to aggressive for what I'm looking for . We need a hwy tire

OP
OP
Billet Bee

Billet Bee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 HOHD
I hang out on a lot of RV message boards and you'd be surprised :)

So, right at payload but under axle weights so you don't "need" a higher rating but I can understand wanting to go that way. I'm not too familiar with DRW trucks - are the rims all rated to handle the higher PSI with a higher rating? Like you say the Nexens are crap so your problems would likely be solved just by going with a better brand. If I had to just pick a brand I'd say Michelin as long as your driving is just on paved roads. I personally am not a fan of anything Bridgestone.
Oh I know, allot of crazy stuff on rving forums. More then likely all I need is a better brand. Yes the rims will hold up without issue and yes were on paved roads 99% of the time

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I've been running a 4-season tire with a snowflake icon/rating that qualified as traction devices for mountain passes. It's a generally good tire and the traction in snow is good but not nearly what a true snow tire would be. I mainly like it so I don't have to swap out tires to go over the mountain passes to stay compliant with the rules. I'd hate to be in an accident without the right tires. I'm not sure who ultimately makes them but the sidewall says "Open Range All Terrain". I get them at Les Schwab. I've gotten pretty good mileage out of them. I'm on my second set - got about 50K from the first ones and am going to get at least that out of the second. Not a lot of towing/hauling though. And, it's just a SRW 2500.