Tires or springs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pickelman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2011 1500 hemi and tow a gooseneck living quarter horse trailer with a tongue weight of about 2000lbs.
I get a rollover feeling that I don't like. Would I be better with 10ply tires or hevi duty coil sprimgs?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Load E tires along with either springs or air bags(will ride better unloaded).
With 2K on the gooseneck ball keep in mind the GAWR is 3900 lbs and empty most of 1500s rear axle weight is already just over 2K lbs. Going over the GAWR can get you in trouble with the law IF they stop you. I only mention this because you hauling a horse trailer and it may be considered commercial.
Don't be surprised if there is a bunch of payload police that tell you need a 2500 because 2K is too much tongue weight...lol

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Look into a set of axle to frame air bags like the AirLift 5000 or Timber Grove. They are capable of more support than the bags in coils but higher rate springs will probably be less $$$

Firetruck41

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 Mega Cab Hemi 5.7
There is no way I would tow 2k lb pin weight with a half ton. But if I did, I would definitely have load range E (10 ply rated) tires. The heavy duty airbags would probably be second on my list. Those might help, but then again, the fact that your are probably way over payload, and towing capacity might be a problem that can not be solved that easily.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
This is like a guy going to a weight loss clinic and asking if he should eat pizza or cheeseburgers to lose weight. 2000# pin weight + whatever else you put in the truck is laughable for a 1/2 ton. What you really need is the right tool for the job.

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
I have a 2011 1500 hemi and tow a gooseneck living quarter horse trailer with a tongue weight of about 2000lbs.
I get a rollover feeling that I don't like. Would I be better with 10ply tires or hevi duty coil sprimgs?

Are you sure you have 2,000 of pin weight? That must be with the horses loaded on. My big 38' 5th wheel has only about 1,800lb pin weight unloaded so your pin weight makes me scratch my head. Either way it sounds like it is a bit much for your truck by the rollover feel you are getting. As others have said you can add better air bags & more ply tires but if you are way over on your axle weights you are not doing yourself any favors by dumping money into a truck that is not meant for that kind of weight. If you can swing it I would look for a used 2500.

OP
OP
P

Pickelman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The 2k weight came from mfg.,but that sounds high to me also. I may need to get it weighed at a truck stop to get correct weight.