To RamBox or Not to RamBox ... plus other questions (multi-function tailgate)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Any way to add the tailgate and assembly to an older model? also thinking of adding that cool step too. :)
Sure, it's just a matter of applying the correct amount of money. How much money you got and how badly do you want it? :cheers:

If you're wondering if there's an easy way to add the MFT to your 2009 then no, it's not something that would be easy or cheap to do. It's not even something that's been done on a 5th gen yet as far as I know. But I'm hoping to try adding one to my 2020 Laramie if I can source a reasonable priced MFT from a salvage yard.

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
I ordered with RamBoxes primarily because I got tired of climbing into the bed every time I needed something out of my bed-mounted tool box (last three Rams). I don't particularly miss the space over the wheel wells, I can still fit a pallet or sheets of plywood in the bed.

thkbaron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
didn't read through the whole thing......I love my boxes as I store all kinds of crap in there but I can't put my four wheeler in it. This mainly due to the tonneau cover installation and bigger tires. It's just too wide. Keep that in mind. If you have zero chance putting a four wheeler in. I wouldn't consider going any other way.

Razzman

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited CCSB
Engine
6.7 Cummins
When I had the 1500 I loved the clean lines of the truck and always thought the ram boxes screwed that up. Now that I have the 2500 with them I love them, so easy and convenient.

BillyGoat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Rambox’s are a great feature and I can still haul my 4x4 ATV- Grizzly 700 but it’s tight. I don’t think it will fit now with oversized tires. Makes for a great temporary beer cooler, but the ice melts fast depending on temps :)

If parked in the sun in the heat of the summer all day, they have a tendency to warp as mine did- every piece is plastic/moulded even the outside panel. My right side warped pretty bad as this side faces the sun. Replaced under warranty, but the alignment is terrible- no simple adjustments. I am out of warranty now and they won’t touch it... This same panel detached 6mo later and had to pay $$ to remove and re-attach. They use automotive adhesive to attach. Love the concept, just not sure if it’s worth the problems IME.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

SecuRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Rambox’s are a great feature and I can still haul my 4x4 ATV- Grizzly 700 but it’s tight. I don’t think it will fit now with oversized tires. Makes for a great temporary beer cooler, but the ice melts fast depending on temps :)

If parked in the sun in the heat of the summer all day, they have a tendency to warp as mine did- every piece is plastic/moulded even the outside panel. My right side warped pretty bad as this side faces the sun. Replaced under warranty, but the alignment is terrible- no simple adjustments. I am out of warranty now and they won’t touch it... This same panel detached 6mo later and had to pay $$ to remove and re-attach. They use automotive adhesive to attach. Love the concept, just not sure if it’s worth the problems IME.
Wait, what? The outside panel (that you see when looking at the side of the truck) is plastic?

I haven't looked at one in person but from the pictures it looks to be metal just like the body around it. Did this change in 2021 versions?

Dennis2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My truck 2019 Ram 1500 with ramboxes. First let’s me say I love them but! I had problems from the beginning with fit. There are posts on this site about fit and finish somewhere. They replaced my boxes but it didn’t help much with fit and the sleek lines aren’t there. They don’t leak and are very spacious. When close they stick out a bit and that throws off the clear lines. IMO for the cost of them and the truck they should fit a bit better. Would I buy them again he’ll yes!

BillyGoat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Wait, what? The outside panel (that you see when looking at the side of the truck) is plastic?

Yes, the outside panel is cheap flimsy plastic glued on....at least on my 17. When replaced under warranty, the panel came primed and had to be painted. Funny part is that they had a Ford collision center paint them...lol

OP
OP
S

SecuRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Can you share a picture of it? It doesn't look that way on the 2021s but you never know.

BillyGoat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Can you share a picture of it? It doesn't look that way on the 2021s but you never know.

sorry, no pics and and I have a broken leg right now. Maybe you can find some schematics of them online or use a magnet when you go look at them in person.
I was surprised too, no wonder why they don’t align and warp....cheap ass plastic

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L

I haven't looked at one in person but from the pictures it looks to be metal just like the body around it. Did this change in 2021 versions?

The lids are plastic on all 5th gens, not just 2021 models. Here's a couple pics of mine...

Rambox lid driver front.jpg Rambox lid driver rear.jpg IMG_0199.jpg

magic280z

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My truck 2019 Ram 1500 with ramboxes. First let’s me say I love them but! I had problems from the beginning with fit. There are posts on this site about fit and finish somewhere. They replaced my boxes but it didn’t help much with fit and the sleek lines aren’t there. They don’t leak and are very spacious. When close they stick out a bit and that throws off the clear lines. IMO for the cost of them and the truck they should fit a bit better. Would I buy them again he’ll yes!
That is why I haven't bothered to have mine looked at. It seems they are just replacing the lid with the same bad part and no reason to let them take it all apart to not actually fix it. I'm still waiting for the new part. Luckily covid has dropped my annual mileage in half so between factory warranty and extended the new part should arrive while still covered. The 4th Gen lids are far better.

2019 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 - Crew Cab/5.7 Bed - 5.7 Hemi - 3.92 - Anti Spin - Level 1 Options - RamBox - BUG

Truck Fun

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I've thought about the Rambox option if I were to update to a new truck. The advantage I see is the ability to store tools, etc. and eliminate the need for a tool box or tool chest. That would still allow using the full length of the box; which is more important to me than the width of the box as long as there's still room for a sheet of plywood, etc. The disadvantage I see is the negative reviews I've read about the plastic lids not being aligned very well, warping, etc.

OP
OP
S

SecuRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Any word on the new gen 2022 Rams? Hopefully they improve this issue.

magic280z

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've thought about the Rambox option if I were to update to a new truck. The advantage I see is the ability to store tools, etc. and eliminate the need for a tool box or tool chest. That would still allow using the full length of the box; which is more important to me than the width of the box as long as there's still room for a sheet of plywood, etc. The disadvantage I see is the negative reviews I've read about the plastic lids not being aligned very well, warping, etc.
I think for a lot of rambox owners the usefulness of the rambox outweighs the warping issue. I use them constantly for tools, straps, etc. Eliminating the need to use the cab storage for those things leaving a huge flat space when the rear seat is folded up.

2019 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 - Crew Cab/5.7 Bed - 5.7 Hemi - 3.92 - Anti Spin - Level 1 Options - RamBox - BUG

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Any word on the new gen 2022 Rams? Hopefully they improve this issue.
I don't expect to see any improvement on this, but we can always hold out hope. The problem as I see it is people are admitting they are still willing to buy the option even with the flaws in the lid fitment (I'm guilty of this too). So as long as people are still willing to put up with them, they really have no incentive to invest in a fix for them.

JimReed

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Rambox Rocks! Pull out the tools and load up with ice and beverages...

TOMMYGUNNZZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I use an Extang trifold canvas. It basically just sits over the tailgate so it shouldn’t matter what u have.