To white letter or not white letter?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RAM08110719

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 L V8 E85
I keep them in. Even when I had a fast car with performance tires on it. A clean look. Don't need to be an advertiser for the maker of the tire.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Ok in these PC days and dealing with some with fragile egos on here, I will say It's a personal preference, no right or wrong and everyone gets a trophy.
BUT that being said, attached is a picture of my 1986 Monte Carlo SS (remember the "photograph" you had to wait 4 days to pick up after you dropped of the "film" for processing?).
Sorry no iphones back then. I used to brush them with a toothbrush and whitener. Enough said.

I don't have blacked-out trucks but I always put black letters out. Today, white letters out seems dated, except maybe for some specific color schemes.

View attachment 224383
Nice car!

rvance

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pent 3.6
I ran the white letters out on my 68 Torino GT and my 69 Hemi Roadhouse. Since I became a man I turn them in. If I had a hot rod I would have to reconsider.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ok in these PC days and dealing with some with fragile egos on here, I will say It's a personal preference, no right or wrong and everyone gets a trophy.
BUT that being said, attached is a picture of my 1986 Monte Carlo SS (remember the "photograph" you had to wait 4 days to pick up after you dropped of the "film" for processing?).
Sorry no iphones back then. I used to brush them with a toothbrush and whitener. Enough said.

I don't have blacked-out trucks but I always put black letters out. Today, white letters out seems dated, except maybe for some specific color schemes.

View attachment 224383
Nice car[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

My first car was 87 Monte Carlo, really wish I had kept it[emoji17]

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I have had in and out, currently like them out. With more monotone color scheme I think it provides a bit of contrast that makes the work put into one color vehicles pop more. But catch me in two years and I will probably think differently.

Mikethomas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Go to the tire shop, have them remove the wheel of your choice, select your tire, mount it, put it on the truck, see if you like, put the wheel on backward ( if it can be done), and look at it. Which one did ya like?
Done deal!

NJMOPAR

Older and faster
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
I'm on this fence now. Just got my 4 Pirelli Scorpion AT+ in and am itching to see how that little white scorpion facing out would look.

Plankton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

View attachment 224383

I thought that was the Batmobile for a second. lol Awesome Monte though!

EM2OOLtVAAEU0nq.jpg

I chickened out and black sidewall out.... lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pics?

boblonben

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What? Are we driving Studebakers??? Put those white walls and white letters where no one can see them!! :)

I've never been a fan of the white facing out but it's not even so much a looks thing. With white letters out whenever you (or, more to the point.... your wife) rubs the tires hard on the curb the white backing shows through and it looks like crap. Pretty soon you're working towards a full-on whitewall.
then don't hit the curb !!!!!!

Thornback

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
I like white out. The looks are like overalls vs a dinner jacket (don't jump on me cause I wear overalls when I go fishing). But I have seen some vehicles that have never been washed and the RWL's are black. It's the USA, turn 'em anyway you want. Ain't we lucky.

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
Thanks - yeah I've heard that back when I had it. lol
Seriously, I thought that the second I saw the Monte pic! I guess we're all guilty of being old (ish)...