Today is car wash day!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ramflava

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel
Starting off with the beast.

These pic are after Adam's Car Shampoo and dried off.

Just for fun I put the air suspension into Off Road 2 mode.

IMG_11671_zps307603f2.jpg

3dcb3a14-43dc-41d9-b5b7-4f23d87607ed_zps4dd36683.jpg

Next step is to clay bar it!! This is gonna take a while!

Big Boi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Just a heads up. When you clay a vehicle, you're not only removing contaminants, but are actually marring the surface as well. Whenever you clay, you should polish the paint as well. I would follow the clay bar with M205 or Meguiar's Ultimate Polish. I have a detail business, and would never clay anyones car without following up with a polish of some sort.

What clay are you using?

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Results for Speedy Surface Prep Towel, - Search

You might consider using a Speedy Surface Prep Towel instead of a clay bar. They have been getting some good reviews from professional detailers and they appear to do a better job than clay barring. They seem to last for quite awhile also. Just another option---
Jay

Last edited:
OP
OP
ramflava

ramflava

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel
Just a heads up. When you clay a vehicle, you're not only removing contaminants, but are actually marring the surface as well. Whenever you clay, you should polish the paint as well. I would follow the clay bar with M205 or Meguiar's Ultimate Polish. I have a detail business, and would never clay anyones car without following up with a polish of some sort.

What clay are you using?

Sooooo yeah... I had already started when you posted that. DAMN! I'll need to go get some polish. Any recommendations?

Also I have an orbital machine, but I've never used it and I don't know the correct pads to use. Any suggestions?

Thanks for the info!

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Check out autogeek.net. They have instructional vid.'s about using a buffer and also they have great info about polishes and which pads are the best to use. Meguiar's is a good polish and Wolfgang also has a good polish. Good luck and be sure to post the results. ( I've always found that a 12 pack makes the job go much eaiser and with less pain). LOL
Jay

Chewy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
You know what my recommendation would be Flava... Heck, in NM you'd get it the next day probably from CO.

Adams Fine Machine Polish is great unless you're going for a full paint correction and then you'll start with their Swirl and Haze remover and then to the FMP unless you have minimal damage and then you can start with FMP.

Honestly, do your research on the surface prep towels and pads (replacement for clay) They tend to be pretty harsh on the paint. Right now from what I've seen, I'll stick to clay and have less to correct later. As a home detailer I take VERY LITTLE info from professionals. They're looking for fast and easy and a lot of times not worried about correcting the paint.

Flava, register on Adams Forums and check out what's been done and what's available. Like them on Facebook or keep an eye on their daily specials or holiday specials and buy up. It's not guaranteed, but they'll probably have special for Memorial day. I've used a lot of the other stuff out there, and I find Adams easy to use and straight forward. The pad you use on the machine matches the color of the product and so on. For a new detailer, you don't want to have to mix and match and try to figure out what does and doesn't work.

Remember, we have a discount code here too.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ramflava

ramflava

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel
Yeah, I'm sure in the future I'll invest into the adam's machines, but right now I have a cheap orbital that'll likely do the job, just needed to buy some polish right quick and some bonnets.

Chewy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
Yeah, I'm sure in the future I'll invest into the adam's machines, but right now I have a cheap orbital that'll likely do the job, just needed to buy some polish right quick and some bonnets.

If you're using a terry bonnet on an old school orbital, just grab some Adams Revive Polish. It's a paint cleaner and not made for correcting. It will make your paint just POP!

When you buy the tools from Adams, they warranty them for life. ;)

Chris

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've had just the opposite experience with professional detailers. The ones I've talked to are very willing to help, they give me good tryed and true information that has been accurate 100 % of the time----and they are not trying to sell me a product or think one line of products is the best to the excluison of all others.
Jay

OP
OP
ramflava

ramflava

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel
I'm currently using a Coleman 10" Orbital and Meguire's Polish. I have the driver side front and rear doors and the roof top left. Then I'll need to wax. I may have to do that tomorrow!

Big Boi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Results for Speedy Surface Prep Towel, - Search

You might consider using a Speedy Surface Prep Towel instead of a clay bar. They have been getting some good reviews from professional detailers and they appear to do a better job than clay barring. They seem to last for quite awhile also. Just another option---
Jay
Be careful with that. They tend to be aggresive and produce more marring than clay alone. As for clay alternatives, I will be ordering the Nano Skin Auto scrub. It attaches to the DA like a pad, and really sepeds things up. When your doing 4-5 details a week (side gig), claying gets tiring.

Sooooo yeah... I had already started when you posted that. DAMN! I'll need to go get some polish. Any recommendations?

Also I have an orbital machine, but I've never used it and I don't know the correct pads to use. Any suggestions?

Thanks for the info!
Im a huge Meguiars Mirror Glaze fan. Not a fan boy, like you'll find on the detailing forums. Its realitivly inexpensive, works, and can be found locally if need be.

Check out autogeek.net. They have instructional vid.'s about using a buffer and also they have great info about polishes and which pads are the best to use. Meguiar's is a good polish and Wolfgang also has a good polish. Good luck and be sure to post the results. ( I've always found that a 12 pack makes the job go much eaiser and with less pain). LOL
Jay
Check out AutoGeeks YouTube channel. Also, Mike Phillips had a book out that will educate you on the correct paint correction techniques. I go by the same name on AutoGeek's forum.

I have a Griots 6" DA with a ton of pads. Rule of thumb, is to use the least aggresive product needed. Always do a test spot. Ive corrected newer GM models that needed hr's of compounding and polishing. Then some Imports and even my Ram that corrected pretty quickly.

Here's a correction I did on a Tacoma. I used a Glaze on this one being that it had a single stage paint job.

Before

After

Chewy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
I've had just the opposite experience with professional detailers. The ones I've talked to are very willing to help, they give me good tryed and true information that has been accurate 100 % of the time----and they are not trying to sell me a product or think one line of products is the best to the excluison of all others.
Jay

Great, but many detailers use and are only familiar with one or two product lines because when they find something that works, they stick with it. Detailers and car people in general get all bunged out over the newest most marketed items whether good or bad. Just be careful and do your homework.

Personally I'd rather work with a company that's small and customer service oriented and buys and sells USA made products whenever possible and never Chinese products compared to 3M which I work with in business and is one of the most difficult vendors we have. 3M owns Meguires. JMO

There are many great companies out there. What I'm saying is pick one line at first and get a feel for it. Whether Menzerna, Adams, Meg's etc... It's just easier!

Sent from my miniaturizer via tap dancing...

chuck

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 True Blue Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Just saw the original pics, sorry to interrupt your guys' discussion but looks great!!

Carry on gents!

OP
OP
ramflava

ramflava

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel
Alright, this was a long day!! Got it washed, clayed, and polished. Didn't wax it, but I'll probably get that done tomorrow along with final cleaning of the glass, chrome, rims and tire dressing. Then I have to find the motivation to repeat the entire process on my cop car (brand new 2013 Ford Explorer).

343343d9-734c-4b5b-8b0c-9045a49eb5fe_zps64c38122.jpg

IMG_1171_zpsbaaa09b3.jpg

IMG_1170_zps31e049d3.jpg