Tonneau Bakflip MX4 v GatorFX

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Billk2023

Reaction score
These two covers appear to be very similar and it seems you can close the tailgate without having to open the last panel first. Both are expensive with the Bakflip being $200 more. Any experieince with which holds up best would be appreciated.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
I never had the other brand but the Bakflip worked well for me.20210911_105332.jpg

SniperDroid

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The MX4 was the best add on I've put on the truck. Great value for my money! Easy to self install, too.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The MX4 is VERY popular. It is a great cover. We have lots of customers with this cover. We even have customers that bought it for one generation RAM then when they bought a newer truck (new body style) they bought another MX4. MX4 gets my vote

Message me if you would like a quote on one for your RAM

Wire4money

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I’m on my second MX4, but this one the rear corner trim piece fell off somewhere. The other side was about to go, too. There is no adhesive holding them on, and whoever runs their social networking does not return messages.

SniperDroid

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I’m on my second MX4, but this one the rear corner trim piece fell off somewhere. The other side was about to go, too. There is no adhesive holding them on, and whoever runs their social networking does not return messages.
I had a problem with mine after one year. They shipped a repair kit ASAP.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Another MX4 convert, just installed in mid-December. I replaced a trifold hard top that was excellent with zero leak and hope this works the same. I didn't need the top, but wanted to buy something for the truck and just happened to see someone else discussing right then so I ordered.

1stindoor

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
'23 2500 MegaCab
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I have the MX4, it's my first tonneau so I can't offer anything on the differences, but it's been trouble free and waterproof thus far. Easy installation by one person.

Rebel_trevor12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
These two covers appear to be very similar and it seems you can close the tailgate without having to open the last panel first. Both are expensive with the Bakflip being $200 more. Any experieince with which holds up best would be appreciated.
Bakflip would tend to last longer than gator, I believe they are sister company if I am not mistaken. it seems like gator is less quality but I have it now on my truck it's 1 year strong :) I got mine from tonneaucovered.com for $989.00

mplaramie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've had both and the BAKflip quality is better. However, for the cost difference, the Gator is a good option and held up well.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
1 thing to note as well....I can not speak on Gator's customer service but should you have a problem with a BAK product(which is rare) BAK's customer service is awesome. They will get you taken care of asap and the process is very simple.

Pudge

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Power Wagon 75th
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Some bakflips you do have to close the gate first before the last flip, but not on the mx4. I’m happy with mine. I’m on my 2nd one, different truck. I’d buy again.