Need new tonneau cover which has bike rack options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

miketx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I currently have a Bakflip MX4 that got pounded by hail in May, along with the rest of my '16 Ram Rebel. Rebel is in the shop having the dents fixed, but I need a new cover (MX4 cover still works fine, but is beat to hell and looks bad). But...I want a cover that has a rack system for bikes. Here is my wish list of functionality:

* Cover needs to retract or fold for full bed access. Lots of options available.
* Cover works with easily removable bike rack cross bars (for when I need full bed access with tall/bulky items. This happens at least once a week due to hauling my wife's farmer's market booth gear, or volunteer work I do.
* I have a 5'7" bed, but need to mount two bikes with BOTH wheels still attached. Pretty sure that means the bikes will hang off the back a bit, but that's ok with the right rails.

I've seen mention of a T-bar type rail system for the Retrax series. Not sure if it works on Bakflip MX4. I've seen the Voodoo series of racks, but don't like the mounting system.

Thoughts? Links? I've been looking at RealTruck's stuff, but can't seem to figure out the whole T-rail system and how it works/fits with various covers. The Elevate rack system looks workable, but it's all out of stock.

Thanks Mike

Last edited:

1stindoor

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
'23 2500 MegaCab
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I just purchased a set of Putco rails that have the T slot in the top so I can add cross members for a bike rack. I do not have a tonneau cover (yet), but have been looking at the Bakflip MX4 because it will not interfere with the rails.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I currently have a Bakflip MX4 that got pounded by hail in May, along with the rest of my '16 Ram Rebel. Rebel is in the shop having the dents fixed, but I need a new cover (MX4 cover still works fine, but is beat to hell and looks bad). But...I want a cover that has a rack system for bikes. Here is my wish list of functionality:

* Cover needs to retract or fold for full bed access. Lots of options available.
* Cover works with easily removable bike rack cross bars (for when I need full bed access with tall/bulky items. This happens at least once a week due to hauling my wife's farmer's market booth gear, or volunteer work I do.
* I have a 5'7" bed, but need to mount two bikes with BOTH wheels still attached. Pretty sure that means the bikes will hang off the back a bit, but that's ok with the right rails.

I've seen mention of a T-bar type rail system for the Retrax series. Not sure if it works on Bakflip MX4. I've seen the Voodoo series of racks, but don't like the mounting system.

Thoughts? Links? I've been looking at RealTruck's stuff, but can't seem to figure out the whole T-rail system and how it works/fits with various covers. The Elevate rack system looks workable, but it's all out of stock.

Thanks Mike
What about a bike rack that plugs into the reciever hitch.Easy to remove when not needed. Something similiar to this.

OP
OP
miketx

miketx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What about a bike rack that plugs into the reciever hitch.Easy to remove when not needed. Something similiar to this.

Thanks, but I'm usually towing a camper. I do have a hitch bike rack for times that we are not towing. And..we just bought a new camper yesterday (old camper got totaled by the same hail that got the truck and cover). It came with a full frame mounted hitch on the back, so I could use the bike rack back there and skip the tonneau rack setup. We'll see.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
RetraxPRO XR would be a great option for you. Message me if you would like a quote on it or any other bed covers. We offer most brands.