Tonneau cover or topper?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LANdrew4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 HEMI® MDS VVT eTorque
I agree with the comment that it all has to do with what you plan to use truck for.

I bought my truck to be as flexible as possible. I never know when I show up at my grandkids' homes what use they are going to put me and my truck to (or for that matter, what plans my wife has for me on the weekends). It could be going to a nursery to pick up dozens of delicate plants. It could be going to Costco to pick up a new flatscreen TV (which should be transported vertically). It could be loading all the bicycles in for a short drive to the bike trails. It could be picking up a load of mulch.

I couldn't be more pleased with my truck in this respect. I have a crew cab (so plenty of room in back of cab for things that need a bit more protection) and the cab has internal tie downs, flexible partitions to keep things from sliding and all kinds of other subtle but useful features. In the back I have RamBoxes which are great for all kind of things from tools, to my computer bag, to small plants, tarps, tie downs, or even filling them with ice for a cooler. They keep things out of site and locked (against the curious - ANY lock can be broken). In the bed I have the bed divider/bed extender (even though in 2020 FCA was forced to no longer call it a bed extender as lights could be obscured from some angles, I bought the extra pieces on eBay and it works great). As a divider, it is great at keeping things from sliding around and I also bolted fork clamps to it so it serves as a bicycle rack. As an extender it is great for carrying longer items. I prefer to keep the bed covered for fuel efficiency, to protect plants, yard tools, luggage, or anything small enough to fit under a cover from wind and rain, and to protect the curious/covetous from themselves; however, I did not want a cover that was hard to remove or provide an issue of what to do with it when you did remove it if you needed to put in something that would not fit under the cover (or to ease loading). I ended up with the TruXedo Pro X15 soft cover (roll-up). It installs almost flat and looks great. It has kept the bed dry even through car washes and is very easy to roll up out of the way (or to remove). The latch to open it requires the tailgate to be opened so it does provide some security, but as with a soft top convertible, a quick slash of a box cutter would defeat it so its main security is keeping tempting things out of site.

So far, the combination has handled everything that has been thrown at it, so very pleased.

Yarek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V10 magnum

I load dirt, mulch, rocks, construction debris etc all under the camper shell. I just spread a tarp in there to make the clean-up easier. I like the camper shell for carrying stuff like drywall, when it's rainy. Sure: it is a bit of a pain when you need to unload stuff and cannot stand up straight, but that's called compromise.

Fatbob Frank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
I really like the tri-fold!
I forgot how nice it is to be able to see out my back window...

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L non-Etorque
I load dirt, mulch, rocks, construction debris etc all under the camper shell. I just spread a tarp in there to make the clean-up easier. I like the camper shell for carrying stuff like drywall, when it's rainy. Sure: it is a bit of a pain when you need to unload stuff and cannot stand up straight, but that's called compromise.
Haha...I never said I couldn't do it. Just that I'm not willing to load/unload those things with a topper. It's called getting old :D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrplopez1972