Tonneau cover or topper?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jj888

Reaction score
Ram Year
?
Engine
?
I have never owned a truck (just large SUVs) but my dad has always had a truck with a canopy on it. Makes it nice to keep stuff in it locked up and dry but I could never borrow it to get loads of dirt or anything with that on it. Anyways, I likely won't get a canopy when I get a new truck but was wondering how people utilize their beds for hauling stuff that would normally go in the trunk or back of an SUV. Like, what about going to the grocery story? Or going on a trip, what do you do with the suitcases to keep them safe and dry? Do most people have a locking tonneau cover or what? It seems like I don't see that many trucks with canopies.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OK, well U gonna get a multitude of opinions. I personally have a Full Tonneau Fiberglass Cover (Mopar) on my bed. NE thing I need to haul small like goes under the cover with no issues. If I have to get big stuff, I just go and hook up my stock trailer and load that up. Now, a lot of PPL put extra boxes in bed and such, and even carry rock and gravel and such in bed. For me, the cover works,. Really depends upon what U plan on using yer truck for,. IF U get a 2021, make sure U get the new MFT tailgate, wish I had, but that is a high end option, I only have a lowly Bighorn. But U buy for what U intend to do and do not listen to ne one who says U have to do. If just gonna carry big stuff in bed occasionally, maybe a roll n lock suit you. Again, all depends what U R gonna do. All IMHO.

ADDED: U may want to get rid of Stock OEM SRA tires too, LOL, if U intend on ne off road stuff, IMHO...

IMG_0840.JPG IMG_0862.JPG

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Yep, all kinds of opinions, this is one of the great things about this forum, so much to learn.

I have a hard top trifold (Walmart less than $400) that I can take off in about 2 minutes. Clips right under top rail, no hard ware to install, and it can't be open unless tailgate is open so no need to lock. Keeps bed dry and I can fit bikes, etc. underneath it. Buy one piece hard tops, caps, and rollback covers all look good so you can't go wrong.

KeithP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT
On my third Ram, put an Undercover tonneau on each. Yup, gotta take it off to haul big stuff but that’s something I rarely do. It only weighs in at 70lbs and is easy to release. I get the ABS black ones. Can’t scratch them up if you try and can put >500lbs on top of it. Kids used to take my 03 to the drive in, yes we still have one, and sit in lawn chairs up on it. Watched a few Little League games that way myself too. Used to be able to handle taking them off and putting them back on myself but Father Time barks at me these days when I try, so my wife helps now.

You’ll have to evaluate how you’re going to use your truck to decide which is best for you. There are a plethora of options in bed covers.

OP
OP
J

jj888

Reaction score
Ram Year
?
Engine
?
Ok this is good info. I guess I was wondering if most of these are lockable and if they keep the water out.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Although not all of them do, most of them require you to have the tailgate open to open the cover. The hard one-piece covers like in turkeybird56's pics can lock independently. Most of the others release from inside. So if your tailgate is locked, the cover is essentially locked too.

KeithP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT
Ok this is good info. I guess I was wondering if most of these are lockable and if they keep the water out.
The Undercover goes over the tailgate, is lockable and I’ve never had anything get wet. Disadvantage is you have to raise the cover to open your tailgate, advantage is your tailgate can’t open if the cover is locked down. Discourages the tailgate thieves as it takes too long to destroy the cover enough to get the tailgate open.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yep, all kinds of opinions, this is one of the great things about this forum, so much to learn.

I have a hard top trifold (Walmart less than $400) that I can take off in about 2 minutes. Clips right under top rail, no hard ware to install, and it can't be open unless tailgate is open so no need to lock. Keeps bed dry and I can fit bikes, etc. underneath it. Buy one piece hard tops, caps, and rollback covers all look good so you can't go wrong.

The only problem I have is: Takes 2 PPL to pull the top off of bed of truck. My wife died almost 5 years ago, only me and hoss and dogs, so, lol, Trailer it is, lmao...

$400.00, roflmao, I guarantee that cover I got not $400, hee hee...

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
It's gonna come back to what you want to do with your machine.

I started with just a cheap aluminum topper, to keep the rain off cause I was a younger guy and slept in the bed when camping or fishing. Well, the aches and pains got to be too much so I started using a camper, and got a nicer topper with features as I was making more money.

Now that I'm an old fart, on a fixed income, and no longer hauling the entire family's crap, I put on a soft tonneau cover for the 1st time. For the most part, it's fine. You don't want to park anything of value in any bed, regardless of top. Toppers cost double to triple tonneau covers.

That's all I can think of - go forth and pick your fave.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Although not all of them do, most of them require you to have the tailgate open to open the cover. The hard one-piece covers like in turkeybird56's pics can lock independently. Most of the others release from inside. So if your tailgate is locked, the cover is essentially locked too.

Hard one I got locks. BUT, U have to open first, then open tailgate, which is under cover. Then reverse: U close tailgate 1st then cover. I ALLOW NO ONE to touch that cover, because just takes (1) dumbazz kid/person/millenial to put down top then slam tailgate, and then I am screwed, just how it is. AND I keep that top locked.

NOW: REMEMBER; Locks only keep honest PPL honest. Just like yer truck, house, watever, U can lock up forever, but if somebody wants in they gonna get in. Just a factoid, written way too many reports in over 40 years, just saying.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's gonna come back to what you want to do with your machine.

I started with just a cheap aluminum topper, to keep the rain off cause I was a younger guy and slept in the bed when camping or fishing. Well, the aches and pains got to be too much so I started using a camper, and got a nicer topper with features as I was making more money.

Now that I'm an old fart, on a fixed income, and no longer hauling the entire family's crap, I put on a soft tonneau cover for the 1st time. For the most part, it's fine. You don't want to park anything of value in any bed, regardless of top. Toppers cost double to triple tonneau covers.

That's all I can think of - go forth and pick your fave.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ DITTO !!! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

audiophile

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
When I had my '98 I really wanted a camper shell. I thought they fit the lines on the 2nd gens nicely. I never could afford one so when I got my '16 I debated between the tonneau and the shell. Ultimately I went with a soft roll-up tonneau. It is a Lund and it also cannot be opened if the tailgate is closed. I keep multiple fishing rods and tackle in my bed all summer long. It keeps them mostly dry. A real heavy rain will find some passage but mostly dry. It rolls up easily if needed and can be removed completely in under 15 minutes.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The only problem I have is: Takes 2 PPL to pull the top off of bed of truck. My wife died almost 5 years ago, only me and hoss and dogs, so, lol, Trailer it is, lmao...

$400.00, roflmao, I guarantee that cover I got not $400, hee hee...
I have had the top since 2017, I just fold it up in bed, turn it sideways and set it in bed, then slide it out if I need to remove. I have taken it on and off many times, moved it from my 2003 2500 when I bought my 2018 new. I was not sure what I wanted when I originally bought it, I had a roll top cover that finally gave up after about 13 or 14 years and I decided to just get this trifold hard top until I could figure out what I wanted long term. However, I couldn't be happier with it and it's lasted for so many years already with regular use in very cold winter and super hot summer. When I bought it, I figured the $370 bucks that I paid was worth it if it only lasted me a couple years. Here I am going on four and it still works great. But if you don't want to worry lifting, I suggest something like the Pace Edwards rollback. It is hard aluminum so it is secure inside, takes up about a foot of you open it, and you don't have to take it off to put tall objects in your bed or if you want to tow a fifth wheel. Good luck.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
When I had my '98 I really wanted a camper shell. I thought they fit the lines on the 2nd gens nicely. I never could afford one so when I got my '16 I debated between the tonneau and the shell. Ultimately I went with a soft roll-up tonneau. It is a Lund and it also cannot be opened if the tailgate is closed. I keep multiple fishing rods and tackle in my bed all summer long. It keeps them mostly dry. A real heavy rain will find some passage but mostly dry. It rolls up easily if needed and can be removed completely in under 15 minutes.

Be careful - it can be opened.........with a bowie knife or rip claw. My son learned the hard way. Had all his tools stolen. I'll say it again - keep nothing of value in your bed. Keep it out of sight in the cab. Yeah, they can bust out windows too, so key here is "out of sight".

audiophile

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Be careful - it can be opened.........with a bowie knife or rip claw. My son learned the hard way. Had all his tools stolen. I'll say it again - keep nothing of value in your bed. Keep it out of sight in the cab. Yeah, they can bust out windows too, so key here is "out of sight".
Yep, that thought is there. Luckily nothing has ever happened. Been on my truck for four years. Even work for a retail establishment and no issues. I guess if they want it, they'll get it.

MoPowered

Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a Topper and ain’t do above the can broken into easily enough. Maybe you could opt for a Bestop Supertop truck bed Cover. It’s a convertible that folds up right to the rear cab window, very lightweight but will protect you and your gear if your hauling something that you need to keep out of the elements. Think Jeep Wrangler Soft tops. I had one for my Power Wagon but removed it when I decided I wanted a more permanent top and something I could mount a roof rack on.

Zoe Saldana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
I have never owned a truck (just large SUVs) but my dad has always had a truck with a canopy on it. Makes it nice to keep stuff in it locked up and dry but I could never borrow it to get loads of dirt or anything with that on it. Anyways, I likely won't get a canopy when I get a new truck but was wondering how people utilize their beds for hauling stuff that would normally go in the trunk or back of an SUV. Like, what about going to the grocery story? Or going on a trip, what do you do with the suitcases to keep them safe and dry? Do most people have a locking tonneau cover or what? It seems like I don't see that many trucks with canopies.

If you need to lock it up you need a cap.

A Softtopper if you have tall things but don't need to lock it up.

A tonneau cover keeps most people out, if you don't have tall things.

I have a tonneau cover.

lpennock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L & 6.7L Cummins
Add me to the tonneau group. I have a truck camper so wanted something easy to take off when I want to load the camper. My Bak Flip G2 can be removed or replaced in about 5 minutes. With locking tailgate it gives you reasonablely secure storage. It keeps the opportunistic thief out but won't stop the dedicated thief.

Sent from my SM-T500 using Tapatalk

NorthStar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 1500 Big Horn/Lone Star 4x2 Crew
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
Since I live near the Gulf of Mexico and occasionally suffer from hurricanes/tropical storms, I have always opted for the locking topper. Leer is my topper of choice. I need it to protect as much family possessions as possible during an evacuation. And in the worse case, it serves as a place to sleep in the event we evacuate to interior Texas and find the hotels, motels, or shelters with no vacancy. My son has a tonneau in his truck and it works for his needs but also knows he is limited on available storage space (my topper is cab height whereas his tonneau is only bed height).

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
the full tonneau does not work for me as I often tote something in the back that is taller than the bed. I had an avalanche for 10 years and got used to having the covered storage so on my last 2 trucks I have had a Bakflip. I can fold back a section or two to make room for something taller than the bed to go in there or to get a load of mulch or other stuff dumped in. my son got one that rolls up but is rigid when deployed for his 2500 but it was a lot more expensive so I stuck with the Bakflip. If I upgrade to a new 2500 I may get a topper so I can carry a kayak on top.