Top Tier Detergent Gasoline

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WWade

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Are you limiting your gas purchases to Top Tier Detergent Gasoline?

Mike R

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
In my area costs the same as non-top tier. Use app and get 5-10 cents off a gallon at BP or Exxon. Why take a chance with cheap stuff?

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
Usually, but I’m not religious about it. I get Shell when their price is right, because I’m in the Fuel Rewards program for additional discounts. Any other top tier if the price is better. Costco fairly often for example.

But if I’m in the boondocks I won’t travel a long distance just to avoid the corner store.

If I lived far away from it, I’d supplement occasionally with some Techron cleaner, IF I had any symptoms.

Michael

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I normally use Shell. When I was going through the process of getting a custom tune the tuner looked at the data I sent him from my truck. He said whatever gas I was using was pretty bad. I was using Costco. After that I ran the gas tank almost empty and refilled with shell. The next time I sent him the data he could tell I switched brands and said the fuel looked good. He recommends using shell or BP for gas. I knew someone who has a hellcat and he normally used chevron gas in it. After telling him what the tuner told me about the fuel. Next time he filled it up he tried shell and said he could tell the difference between shell and chevron gas in his hellcat.

I know the voices in my head aren’t real, but man, do they ever come up with some great ideas.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Interesting. Ive only ever used Costco in my truck, mostly because their 93 price is cheaper than everyone else's 89 octane price.

But for the next tank or three I might try using Shell to see if I feel any difference. The engine doesnt ping or anything right now, its bone stock, etc so maybe it doesnt make a huge difference in my case.

gablett

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Watching the spark knock sensor on the diablo tuner I will get some knock if I don’t run shell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Jerrybob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi

Rug_Trucker

Reaction score
Ram Year
1993 D-350 CTD dually
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Just because it comes out of the same pipeline doesn't mean it comes from the same refinery. Son of a son of a pipeliner, former gas hauler.

I do run 2oz of Marvel Mystery oil per every 5 gallons in my cars. 170K on one of them. Had the intake off of it the other day. The injectors look brand new. It adds lubricity to the fuel that the corn juice takes away. Good for your fuel pump and your top piston rings.

Lionfish

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Diesel
As far as I know, Costoo gas is top tier. Unfortunately, they do no carry diesel locally so I cannot run it in my truck. However, I do have several high performance vehicles (no, not Dodge) and they run Costco premium very well.

LarryA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Have run almost exclusively Costco gas in my cars over the last 20 years - 2017 Ram, 2014 BMW X3, 2008 Mercedes C350, 2008 RX 350 and 2004 Mazda 3. Never had any fuel related issues or problems. Low price combined with 4% back on the Costco Visa is why.

the Shell station near my home can be $.75 to $1.00 more per gallon so it is not really an option

2019RamInSC

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For what it's worth from the AAA . And yes I switched to Top Tier.

https://newsroom.aaa.com/2016/07/aaa-not-gasoline-created-equal/

Among brands tested, non-TOP TIER gasolines caused 19 times more engine deposits than TOP TIER brands after just 4,000 miles of simulated driving. Such carbon deposits are known to reduce fuel economy, increase emissions and negatively impact vehicle performance, particularly on newer vehicles. To protect vehicle investments, AAA urges drivers to use a gasoline that meets TOP TIER standards for engine cleanliness and performance.

scott lass 18

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 ram 1500
Engine
I normally use Shell. When I was going through the process of getting a custom tune the tuner looked at the data I sent him from my truck. He said whatever gas I was using was pretty bad. I was using Costco. After that I ran the gas tank almost empty and refilled with shell. The next time I sent him the data he could tell I switched brands and said the fuel looked good. He recommends using shell or BP for gas. I knew someone who has a hellcat and he normally used chevron gas in it. After telling him what the tuner told me about the fuel. Next time he filled it up he tried shell and said he could tell the difference between shell and chevron gas in his hellc

Magnus Sport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ran 89 Chevron once after running V Power, always put in top rated V Power in now since the truck seemed off running the Chevron.