Tow/Haul Mode

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Just my pair of pennies, each to their own.
Yep, to each their own. I'm the opposite, I set the cruise and let the truck do its job.

I can understand your way, especially if the truck hasn't the power to control the load. Been there, and done that a lot. Nowadays with my 2020 3500 HO in tow haul, the exhaust brake on and cruise control set, it hardly notices it's pulling something, while I relax and let it do its job. Sure, at times traffic can interfere and adjustments need to be made. Sometimes the only needed adjustment is the CC speed setting.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Yep, to each their own. I'm the opposite, I set the cruise and let the truck do its job.

I can understand your way, especially if the truck hasn't the power to control the load. Been there, and done that a lot. Nowadays with my 2020 3500 HO in tow haul, the exhaust brake on and cruise control set, it hardly notices it's pulling something, while I relax and let it do its job. Sure, at times traffic can interfere and adjustments need to be made. Sometimes the only needed adjustment is the CC speed setting.
Yep, and add ACC to the mix, it even works well in moderate traffic.

This may be a diesel vs gas thing too. Most of the towing dramatics and hill timing stuff described by ramffml goes away with the Cummins.

Last edited:

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I ask this respectfully, how often do you tow? My preference is to use T/H and gear limit to 6th. I avoid CC like the plague, because it has one mission: keep your speed constant at all costs.

That is not the right way to tow for me. Traffic for me causes many little slow downs and increases, not to mention hills etc. I like to have a buffer in front of me; then I run down hills and coast/bleed of a little speed as I rise to the top, CC would never do that effectively. If you do it like I do (not my technique, I just use it), you can avoid many downshifts and upshifts, whereas with CC it just goes nuts trying to keep you to that magic number you've set for it.

I'm a far better judge of what gear I'm going to need than the computer is, I can look ahead and see traffic/hills, I can run down a hill, and downshift it before the computer would (if needed) so that its ready to go as it hits the beginning of the hill (preventing it from losing steam before it finally decides to downshift).

Bottom line, CC really is terrible way to tow. If you're bad at judging the road and conditions then OK use it, but I guarantee you when I drive it it's easier on the truck and I get better MPG.

Just my pair of pennies, each to their own.
I'll agree, to a certain extent. I would never have used CC when towing before I got this truck. And even now, I won't use it if there is any kind of traffic around me - or in inclement weather. But I've personally towed about every type of trailer under the sun and maintained a CDL for 30 years and this truck has taught me that, under most driving conditions, if I put it in CC and set it at 60-65 (I never tow over 65, ever) it does a fine job of keeping it there. I don't care how often it feels it needs to shift, this transmission was made for towing and the engineers know way more than I do about what parameters it needs to abide by.

I've also noticed that it doesn't shift as often as you might think it does.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Yep, and add ACC to the mix, it even works well in moderate traffic.

This may be a diesel vs gas thing too. Most of the towing dramatics and hill timing stuff described by ramffml goes away with the Cummins.
Love the ACC on wifes jeep. Only issue is after driving her jeep and i use my CC on ram i almost rear end people!!!
And that is the reason I don't like ACC and don't have it on this truck.

Summer 2022, I was in the Burbank, CA area and rented a Santa Fe. I was tooling down the freeway, doing about 65, surrounded by moderate traffic and was approaching another car from behind. I had CC set and just as I started to switch lanes to the left all of a sudden my car started slowing down rapidly. I tapped the brake and thought, "Oh crap, I just blew something in the engine." So I stayed in my lane and waited but nothing else happened, so I set CC again. About a minute later, same thing, so I began easing over to my right (without touching the brake) trying to get to the shoulder and as soon as I got into the next lane the car sped up again (another oh crap). So I took the next exit and went into a gas station parking lot. While I was standing there discussing it with my wife a guy asked if he could help and I explained the issue. He said, "You have ACC on that thing. I don't know if you can disable it, but you might be able to adjust the setting to less sensitivity."

I tried but couldn't figure it out, so for the next 4 days I didn't use CC because I never knew when the dang car was going to try to nanny me again. I will decide when to brake and speed up, I don't want the vehicle doing it for me.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
And that is the reason I don't like ACC and don't have it on this truck.

Summer 2022, I was in the Burbank, CA area and rented a Santa Fe. I was tooling down the freeway, doing about 65, surrounded by moderate traffic and was approaching another car from behind. I had CC set and just as I started to switch lanes to the left all of a sudden my car started slowing down rapidly. I tapped the brake and thought, "Oh crap, I just blew something in the engine." So I stayed in my lane and waited but nothing else happened, so I set CC again. About a minute later, same thing, so I began easing over to my right (without touching the brake) trying to get to the shoulder and as soon as I got into the next lane the car sped up again (another oh crap). So I took the next exit and went into a gas station parking lot. While I was standing there discussing it with my wife a guy asked if he could help and I explained the issue. He said, "You have ACC on that thing. I don't know if you can disable it, but you might be able to adjust the setting to less sensitivity."

I tried but couldn't figure it out, so for the next 4 days I didn't use CC because I never knew when the dang car was going to try to nanny me again. I will decide when to brake and speed up, I don't want the vehicle doing it for me.

I've had a couple different loaners in the last few years that had ACC. I personally don't care for it, mostly because I am always watching down the road and am already anticipating random slow-downs and necessary lane changes. So I don't need my vehicle starting to slow down when I'm trying to make a maneuver at a closer-than-it-should-be situation.

That said, I have RIDDEN with enough people who worry me, who should ABSOLUTELY have ACC on and active at all times.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I've had a couple different loaners in the last few years that had ACC. I personally don't care for it, mostly because I am always watching down the road and am already anticipating random slow-downs and necessary lane changes. So I don't need my vehicle starting to slow down when I'm trying to make a maneuver at a closer-than-it-should-be situation.

That said, I have RIDDEN with enough people who worry me, who should ABSOLUTELY have ACC on and active at all times.
I love it on jeep, you have choice of it or regular CC and set between 1-4 car lengths. Never had an issue.
If you have ACC, can you disable it and just make it work like regular CC?

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Yes sir. Two different buttons, ones is regular and other is radar assisted
I wonder if that was possible on that Santa Fe I rented. I use CC all the time, if I'm going more than a mile at the same speed I use it. I just don't like that adaptive part.