Tow mirrors should be outlawed 2019 bighorn

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bulldogsram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I was at the dealership for some minor warranty work. I brought up the tow mirrors on my 2019 5.7 bighorn just to ask about replacements. They mentioned that they had a lot of people asking the same question. They shrugged me off saying that it’s not as easy as it should be thanks to the engineering and wiring. On the test drive I thought it was just a change from my 2015 f-150 and I would just have to get used to it..... that’s not the case at all, the magnification doesn’t allow enough field of view the blind spots can’t be covered by the spot mirror behind my door handle. Backing a trailer up on the passenger side is complete work in progress using spot mirror only not allowing for enough side view. I spend more time adjusting my right side mirror that the motor is gonna wear out, each time hoping that I can just find that sweet spot. I drive dump trucks with 30’ trailers hauling machinery for a living. I can back those in anywhere, but with these mirrors in road mode, I can barely back in the driveway without a trailer. These mirrors are not safe. I’ve gotta head dance around the truck to change lanes. Forget the power folding or heated issue, correct vision of the surrounding area is all I am asking for. I can’t be the only one. Please keep pushing this issue as we need a fix.

aladin_sane

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had tow mirrors installed on my 2017 bighorn to replace the power folding ones it came with. I have not had any issues, maybe they are different on a 2019?

BSVmopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Big Horn CC
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I know what you are saying about the fixed stock spot mirrors. You cannot see anything in them as they should be adjustable. Adjust them to be useful and the main mirror becomes useless. I solved that by getting adjustable 3" spot mirrors from napa and installing them right over the factory spot mirrors. Don't look bad and mirrors do what they are supposed to do.

OP
OP
B

Bulldogsram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I wonder if I could replace the passenger side big mirror glass with a driver side one that is not as magnified, I know that they are molded specifically for each side. If I flipped it upside down the mold looks like it may work if the fastening system isn’t directional also.

Thank you for the spot mirror advice, that mirror is useful when positioned correctly. I always like seeing the edge of my truck with view for context. With it one way I can see my rear end corner for backing in but can’t see enough of the next lane for changing lanes, if I set it for changing lanes easier I can’t see my end corner. Flipped up in tow mode I can see excellent as the spot mirror becomes the correct shape to do its job, but holy cow it’s hideous on a beautiful 50k truck.

Just seems to me that if the magnification of the big mirror wasn’t so pronounced that it would solve my issue and I would be able to use the spot mirror as just that... “A spot mirror!”.... and not be stuck relying on small couple inch walleye field of view that I cant judge distance with quickly going 70mph.

Thank you for chimming in though, hopefully one day there will be more options as the model advances.