Towing a toy hauler with my 2014 5.7?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Robert Fowler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey guys, new to the fourm the quality of post and responses seem to be 10x better here than what I've been experiencing on facebook.

My truck is a 2014 5.7 6 speed 3.55 gears 2 wheel drive. Completely stock.

I previously towed a 4800 pound toy hauler loaded with my old YXZ several times up to Flagstaff from Phoenix. I would estimate the weight to be around 7200 pounds fully loaded. The truck handled it just fine on flat and didn't sprint up the hill but I was able to make it up the steepest grades at 50-55 or so.

Ive since moved on from that set up and I'm looking to purchase a 2015 powerlite TH at 4980 pounds dry and own a slightly heavier can am X3 I'm guessing my loaded weight will be around 7500-7700 pounds. I understand that most of you will beat me up and tell me to buy a diesel or 3/4 truck but I'm trying to make due with my current set up If at all possible.

Mods I've planned or considered.

All a must IMO

Weight distribution hitch with sway controll*
Brake controller*
Rear bags*

What can I do to add power? I've considered simple bolts on like an air filter intake system. V6 electric fan (already own need to install) or 3.92 gears, Hemi fever tuning, 180 stat to keep temps down.

Does anyone have experience towing with a similar set up? Need some confirmation either way before pulling the trigger on the trailer this weekend. Any input is appreciated.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
You didn't specify if it is a CC, QC or regular cab or package level. A Tradesman will have higher capacities than a Big Horn because of the extra weight of the extra options. But looking at charts it looks like you will be roughly about 9000lb towing and 1400-1600lbs payload. Based on the info you gave you should be under limits. Payload will probably be your limiting factor but if you aren't going too crazy on loading up you should be ok. Payload includes everything in or on the truck. This means you, passengers, tonneau cover, heavier tires and wheels, cups of coffee, etc.

Any idea what the GVWR is on the new toy hauler? What is the length of the toy hauler? This will determine how much it will act like a sail behind you. Having a lighter weight truck will magnify the sway conditions and stability.

As far as power if you are under 8000lbs you should be ok. I had a 2013 1500 Express with 5.7 Hemi and 3.55's and towed my sons 7500lb camper without much trouble. It did work a little on hills but never gave me any issues. Air bags will help but won't add to your maximum capacities. Your max is what it is and that can't be changed. 3.55 to 3.92 isn't much of a change so probably not worth the money. 4.56 would be an improvement but that is a pretty big step.

As long as your weights are all under max I would try it as is. Obviously the WDH and sway control, as well as trailer brakes will definitely be a must but try it out before adding the power add-ons.

Being a 2WD you have a little more capacity in towing and payload. It would be nice if you could load it up and take it to a CAT scale but doubt the seller will let you do that. I would definitely do that after you get it though.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
With the 6 speed, you may want to add an additional trans cooler.

OP
OP
R

Robert Fowler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the response. It's a tradesman extended quad cab my tow rating is at 8850 with the 3.55 and my payload is at 1710 hitch weight is rated for 550 although I know thats usually underrated. The total length of the trailer is 26ft end to end.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am not a trans expert, but would probably like to keep the temp under 180 max.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
You should be OK, a few hundred pounds is not make or break, doubtful you can even feel it. Let your own experience be your guide.

That said, the wording of your post it sounds like you didn’t use a brake controller or WD with your previous trailer? You may want to clarify on that. Both are essential, whether it’s 7200 or 7700.

My other contribution is go to a scale. Estimates are always wrong, and nearly everyone finds out the trailer is heavier than expected. Correct tongue weight is essential to safe towing, and with toy haulers there’s a lot of variability depending on the position of the toy. There are also various devices for measuring tongue weight and calculating trailer weight using OBD2 data from the truck than don’t cost too much.

Have fun with that X3!

HDGoose

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
L6 Diesel HO
And just because your truck is rated for a certain weight trailer, you have to understand that a 8000 boat doesn't pull the same as a 8000 large box. The correct towing equipment can help.

JF19Longhorn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 ETorque
I think with the WDH (with Sway), the EBC, and the trailer setup / loaded correctly you should be just fine stock.

Take your time and remember, it's not a race.

VernDiesel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ED
OP
OP
R

Robert Fowler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

VernDiesel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ED
No price difference is due to a different rear end. My point was that having the optimal rear gear is far less important for the trucks that have the 8 speed. In your case you have the old transmission that needs the help the most and the new rear end which costs a lot more to change the rear end gear.

OP
OP
R

Robert Fowler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No price difference is due to a different rear end. My point was that having the optimal rear gear is far less important for the trucks that have the 8 speed. In your case you have the old transmission that needs the help the most and the new rear end which costs a lot more to change the rear end gear.

What can I do to help the transmission out without a complete rebuild?

Truck has 80k on it so I plan to change the fluid soon.

VernDiesel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ED

acskgibson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
I towed my grand design 2970rl fully loaded at 8800lb with almost 1000lbs of tongue weight. My truck was a 2014 2wd tradesmen with 1650lbs of payload. It had the 6 speed, 3:92 gears with factory lsd.
I used the blue ox weight distribution with sway control, had airlift 1000 bags inflated to 35psi, Rancho 9000 shocks set to 9, and e rated tires inflated to 50psi in the rear.
This pulled my trailer very well, however I was slightly overloaded as I also carried my generator, 5gl gas can, and tools in my bed.

acskgibson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
I towed my grand design 2970rl fully loaded at 8800lb with almost 1000lbs of tongue weight. My truck was a 2014 2wd tradesmen with 1650lbs of payload. It had the 6 speed, 3:92 gears with factory lsd.
I used the blue ox weight distribution with sway control, had airlift 1000 bags inflated to 35psi, Rancho 9000 shocks set to 9, and e rated tires inflated to 50psi in the rear.
This pulled my trailer very well, however I was slightly overloaded as I also carried my generator, 5gl gas can, and tools in my bed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
As I read this thread I see costs adding up quickly; brake controller, transmission oil cooler, bags, rear gears, performance enhancements. Not to be smart, but your first post said you wanted to make do with what you had if possible, I think it is clear that is not the case. As a long, long time tow person, I almost never see anyone that isn't closer to 20% tongue weight so you will probably be close to the max, if not over, with current truck. And FWIW IMO, bags for trailer towing are a waste of money, if you aren't over weight a proper WDH will ensure proper leveling, and they will be just one more thing to fix plus mask a dangerous setup. Get the right tool for the job and enjoy the ride! Good luck

acskgibson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Here is my 2014 ram 2wd 1500 with 6 speed trans and 3:92 gears hooked up to my 8800lb travel trailer.
I have no issues pulling this trailer.
Factory tow package, AIR LIFT 1000 inflated to 35psi.
I only upgraded my tires and shocks when the factory oem was due for replacement.
Never any issues towing as long as I kept it at safe speeds for the conditions I was in at the time.
I was leaving for a 2 week trip when I took this picture and took this opportunity to weigh my rig as I knew I was fully loaded. I usually am not this heavy for my normal weekend trips.
3300 on my front
3900 on my drive
8000 on my trailer
Yes I was 300lbs over on my truck but still within my axel capacity’s on all axels and still under gross combined.
However I have since upgraded to a 2500 4x4 Laramie. This was just a want, not a need for me.

0E9FE727-54BC-4F54-9E35-15976C97172B.jpeg

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
What model TT is that? My son has a 2018 Imagine 2670MK. It weighed about 8000lbs loaded but the specs say 6600lbs dry weight

Blaise_weigh_slip.png
Blaise_truck_and_camper.jpg