Towing capacity answers and info *in depth

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cr250Ram1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I decided to make this post to share my extensive time and research into towing and axle ratios. My backstory; I didn’t know about axle ratios and ended up buying a Silverado with the dreaded, and all too common, 3.08 axle ratio. The BEST tow rating you could get was 6,100 pounds with 12,000 combined. It was horrible!!! Not only that but I learned the advertised “max tow” ratings are unattainable for how most people use their trucks. This lead me down a path of “enlightenment” about towing and I’ve learned A LOT. *this thread is about *legal* tow ratings, we all know the truck can exceed these ratings, however you run the risk of legal/civil liability and denied warranty claims when exceeding the ratings.

I recently ended up deciding to buy a 19’ Ram 1500 with the 3.21 axle ratio despite my past experience with the 3.08s. I am sharing my research on why the 3.21 ratio isn’t bad, compared to the 3.92, and WHY in most cases you will never even be able to access the additional towing ability with the 3.92s. Sure the 3.92s look good on paper with their “max trailer weight number”, but when you crunch the numbers it is really *only* better if you are driving solo with nothing else in your truck. This is due to the rams payload.

The chart below is a direct comparison of the 3.21 vs 3.92 ratio for MY SPECIFIC truck, and what I believe to be one of rams most common configurations, obviously other models (single cab) will produce much different results! If you look at the very bottom you will see what the truck is capable of towing with a family of 4 (600lbs) in the truck and NOTHING else in the bed.

***As you can see the 3.92 can really only tow 1,300 more pounds than the 3.21 when traveling with a family of 4, and ONLY if the trailers tongue weight is at 10%.**** This is due to the Rams payload of 1,505 pounds (configuration specific).

***The 3.92 and 3.21 have the SAME towing abilitywhen towing at 15% tongue weight with people riding in the truck****

10% tongue weight is often only obtained with things like a boat.
Closer to 15% tongue weight is often encountered with heavier things such as cargo trailers and travel trailers. Those batteries and propane weight A LOT.

I hope this helps someone out there shopping. I WAS dead set on 3.92s until I got the same truck for $5,000 less but with 3.21s. I did the math below and discovered the 3.21s will work good for my individual needs. With this said the 3.92 will provide a more comfortable tow than the 3.21 even with the same weight, again this data strictly looks at legal ratings. Please tow safe so everyone can get to their destination safely. I am nervous for those I see towing 30’+ travel trailers at 8k+ with their half tons because “max tow” is over 10,000...

5DA87505-E1F9-4CE9-A2FD-783CD4DC4687.png

OP
OP
C

Cr250Ram1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I highly recommend this site;
http://changingears.com/rv-sec-calc-trailer-weight-tt.shtml
You can input your own numbers and obtain your trucks towing capacity. Remember to add your trucks cargo (passengers and gear) to your trucks GVW when inputing the numbers!
*my personal 2 cents if you want to tow; buy a 19+ ram 2500 GAS 6.4. You get crazy good *legal* tow ratings (payload, hitch, trailer).

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
my last two gm trucks had 3.42 rear ends and my own experience was that they ended up staying in lower gears a lot when towing my travel trailer. my '19 ram with 3.92 rear end will mostly stay in top gear with the same trailer. I can use my cruise control a lot of the time and I see around 2000 rpm at 70'ish pulling my 6000# travel trailer. of course the main piece of the equation is the 8spd tranny with probably the lowest first gear and strong 2nd gear to get things going. numbers aside, the 3.21's would give better economy the 90% of the time your not towing. I bought my laramie to use mostly for towing and the few ski trips we take because it hauls more gear, so I was not concerned with the economy of it at all. I actually get the same 8-10 mpg towing with this truck as I got with the 5.3L/3.42 sierra and avalanche that I had, just the motor doesnt work near as hard.

Rmoore7167

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 HEMI MDS VVT
Im new to forum and just purchased the 2019 Laramie with the Hemi with the 5.7L V8 HEMI MDS VVT. The spreadsheet and the link to calculator was really helpful! .Being in market for a travel trailer now really is opening my eyes...you go to dealers and they say I can tow 11240#s ...naught. I wonder if I can get some assistance. If I did the calculations correctly it stated that I would tow max trailer weight of 7493# Max trailer weight with margin (20%) of 5995#, Max tongue weight of 1124# and Max young weight of 899#. that's significantly different that what i believed!!! Does this sound about right?(i struggled with some of the terminology) I just want to be able to look for trailers that are appropriate for truck and safe!.. My wife will have to be able to downsize!! LOL... I just want a high quality trailer but might be limited a bit in size etc

What are people towing with their Laramie with similar capabilities..Experiences? (thanks Runamuck!)

I could ask a whole host of questions on trailer mfrs...but will hold off on that for now....any help would really be helpful...thanks again for this great post!

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Im new to forum and just purchased the 2019 Laramie with the Hemi with the 5.7L V8 HEMI MDS VVT. The spreadsheet and the link to calculator was really helpful! .Being in market for a travel trailer now really is opening my eyes...you go to dealers and they say I can tow 11240#s ...naught. I wonder if I can get some assistance. If I did the calculations correctly it stated that I would tow max trailer weight of 7493# Max trailer weight with margin (20%) of 5995#, Max tongue weight of 1124# and Max young weight of 899#. that's significantly different that what i believed!!! Does this sound about right?(i struggled with some of the terminology) I just want to be able to look for trailers that are appropriate for truck and safe!.. My wife will have to be able to downsize!! LOL... I just want a high quality trailer but might be limited a bit in size etc

What are people towing with their Laramie with similar capabilities..Experiences? (thanks Runamuck!)

I could ask a whole host of questions on trailer mfrs...but will hold off on that for now....any help would really be helpful...thanks again for this great post!

Letbme make this easy peasy, for you.

Unless you are an old hand at towing stuff, know this crap, inside and out & can do it intuitively, without any forethought, whatsoever. Not unlike taking a Whiz without zippering yourself up, then stay within 75% of trucks recommend maximums.

Failure to do this simple little thing WILL be the same as Zippering yourself, after a Whiz. It will be Embarrassing, Painful and you will remember the lesson learned, for a damn long time.

Now, can the limits be ignored? Yes.
Could I or loads of others load out, well above the limits, then go cross country, with total confidence? Yes.

Again, that Old Hand Designation.

Experience is a great Resource and Life is a Harsh Teacher.
Failure to have enough of the first will give you plenty of the Latter.

Just like a kid with his first driving license. stay within your abilities.

3:92 the same 3:21?

Sweet Jesus, Mental ************ twisting Facts beyond all known Realities.
May as well claim Rosie O' Donnel is same as Selma Hayek.