Towing Capacity - receiving conflicting info

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EPEisenman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8 FFV
Hello all:
Hoping you experts here can guide me as to confirming the tow capacity of my 2007 Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x2 with 6' bed.

Although the truck has a hitch on it, I've never pulled anything but a small trailer. We are looking to get a bumper pull camper and I need to confirm how much I can safely tow.

Build sheet shows:
4.7L V8 FFV Engine
5-Spd Automatic 545RFE Transmission
3.92 Rear Axle Ratio
Corporate 9.25 LD Rear Axle
Trailer Tow w/4-Pin Connector Wiring

Sticker in door jamb shows:
GVWR: 6700 lbs
GAWR Front: 3700 lbs
GAWR Rear: 3900 lbs

Research I've done leads me to believe I am rated to tow about 6200 lbs but two camper dealers have said I can tow more like 7700 (both basing this on the fact the truck has a hitch). I'm not sure if the hitch was factory installed.

Can anyone help me interpret my build info and guide me as to what I can tow and/or does it look like I have a factory installed tow package?

waross63

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Go to Ram truck website. There is a link to towing capacity. Enter your vin and it will provide specific towing information on your truck.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

OP
OP
E

EPEisenman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8 FFV
Go to Ram truck website. There is a link to towing capacity. Enter your vin and it will provide specific towing information on your truck.

Tried that, unfortunately vehicle must be 2009 or newer and mine is 2007.

OP
OP
E

EPEisenman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8 FFV
Here you go.

http://www.rambodybuilder.com/2007/docs/dr/mlup.pdf

You would have to find your particular model on that chart but it should give you what you are looking for..

./

Thanks mtnrider, I had previously found this chart in my research and "Max Trail" is listed at 6250 for my model/engine.

I guess my question is two-fold.
This chart doesn't reference a "tow package" option and presumably if this option were factory installed it would increase the towing capacity above the base amounts?
And I'm not sure how a "tow package" would read on the build sheet - does "Trailer Tow w/4-Pin Connector Wiring" mean anything beyond the wiring for lights?

I strongly suspect my tow capability is 6250 and the camper dealers don't really know, but I wish I could get a definitive answer.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Thanks mtnrider, I had previously found this chart in my research and "Max Trail" is listed at 6250 for my model/engine.

I guess my question is two-fold.
This chart doesn't reference a "tow package" option and presumably if this option were factory installed it would increase the towing capacity above the base amounts?
And I'm not sure how a "tow package" would read on the build sheet - does "Trailer Tow w/4-Pin Connector Wiring" mean anything beyond the wiring for lights?

I strongly suspect my tow capability is 6250 and the camper dealers don't really know, but I wish I could get a definitive answer.

I don't think the tow package affects the tow rating, it just adds the hitch and wiring etc. Tow rating is based on engine, gear ratios and weight of the particular truck you have so I would say what is in the chart is accurate

Marley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You have to watch RV dealers, they wanna move trailers so naturally they'll tell you your truck can pull it.

6250 ain't bad but pay attention to trailers GVWR.....not dry weight or UVW.

0rion

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
The stuff I found looks like you can tow 7350. Let me ask this though....how big is the camper you're looking at? That's a pretty heavy bumper pull. I wouldn't want to tow it. Might get some tail wagging the dog action.

https://rvsafety.com/towing-guides

0rion

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
I don't think the tow package affects the tow rating, it just adds the hitch and wiring etc. Tow rating is based on engine, gear ratios and weight of the particular truck you have so I would say what is in the chart is accurate

It can (and normally will) effect ratings if you have tow package. Typically you'll see a hitch added, steeper gear ratio, and trans cooler. I know that's how it is on a Durango as I just saw someone adding that stuff because he didn't have to tow package. Seems like he was also putting a bigger alternator on it too but memory is foggy on that part.

MikeT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
It has been my experience that RV dealers will tell you anything that it takes to sell the trailer in question. I had a Toyota Tundra with the basically same 4.7L engine you have, was looking at a toy hauler back in 07. Dealer swore the Tundra would tow the trailer just fine. Well in actuality it did tow the trailer, the braking sucked as did the mileage. I was getting average of 6mpg towing and on one occasion it was under 4mpg. The engine was revving up around 4k rpm driving into a strong head wind. That was the straw that broke the camel's back. A few weeks later came the 06 2500 Ram. Tows the toy hauler almost like it isn't there, getting an average of 15mpg with the trailer on and loaded. I was wise enough to insist that they install anti sway bars and load leveling before I bought the trailer. That was the only wise thing about the buying decision I made. absolutely go by what the vehicle builder tells you about towing capacities. RV dealers are first cousins of lawyers and politicians - Lie for a living. If you don't have the right vehicle for the job you will very well suffer the consequences.

Mike

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
DITTO to what MikeT stated. And use a WDH Hitch also, just IMHO......

OP
OP
E

EPEisenman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8 FFV
Thank you everyone for your responses. Even if I am rated to tow 7000+ I've decided I just don't want to be pulling something anywhere close to my limit.

We are looking at ultra-light bumper pull campers now, something in the 4000 lb. range.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
EP: U will be fine there. But I still suggest U invest in a good WDH, cause big box things catch a lot of wind and the tail may wag the dog, just saying...

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
EP, Up to U. I do not have a WDH, but all my towing is local under 50 miles, so I drive my "age", LMAO. But only tow to get hay and/or pull Hossies to Vet, so all local.

But if U pulling a Box sail, and family with U, WDH a great idea, cause nuthin more important then family, but I just a Boird, LOL....

(And nothing worse then the Tail wagging the Dog)

KSH

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 1500
Engine
EcoDiesel
I got a propride for wdh and sway control. Expensive but worth it to me. I haven't tried another wdh hitch so i can't compare them.

0rion

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
You can get plenty of camper and still be safe enough to tow I believe. Several buddies of mine all have bumper pulls and all seem to be in that 5500# range give or take. I want to say your hitch weights will be in the 800# range there.

KSH

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 1500
Engine
EcoDiesel
If no one mentioned it yet, towing capacity isn't the issue, payload is usually what you generally run out of first.

Last edited:

Spoonsize

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
We’ve had several travel trailers. Each of them were purchased with our needs in mind. All of them have left 2000+ lbs towing capacity on the table. Pulling. 3880 lb trailer and just finished installing a Husky 400 to 600 tongue weight WDH, could not be happier.

Bloody_Knuckles

USN 81-86
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
If I can chime in, Ram trucks equipped with a tow package have a round 7-pin connector on the bumper and a button on the end of the gear shift lever that changes the transmission shift pattern on the 545rfe from 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 to 1, 2, 2'(two prime), 3, 4 with no 5th od gear. This feature is due to the 20" wheels and tall tires to keep the engine in a higher torque rpm range and to help prevent transmission overheating but some 17" equipped trucks may have the same feature. The giveaway is the button on the shifter that causes the TOW/HAUL lamp to come on in the instrument cluster.

PS. Don't forget that with the extra weight comes a need for greater braking ability. Just because you can get it moving, it doesn't mean you can stop it.

Last edited: