Towing Capacity-Trailer Upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shane K Torres

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
So I've got an '09 Ram 1500 4.7L and the towing capacity is right at 6000lbs. The trailers I've been interested in have a GVWR of 4500 dry/18-21 feet. I think I should be fine to tow something of this weight however we camp a lot up in the hills so our drives aren't on flat roads always. I'm curious what other 4.7L trucks are towing, but have also found they didn't make many 1500's with this same engine. What are you towing?

Last edited:

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Hi Shane. I don't have the 4.7 but my brother had one in a 2007 Dakota and it seemed to make decent power.

I think you'll be fine at the length and gvwr weight you mentioned. You may wish to have a transmission cooler installed to help with transmission temps when towing.

Take the time to set up and dial in your wdh and you should be ok. Take your time when towing and remember it's not a speed contest. Most st trailer tires are speed limited to 65 mph and you don't want to exceed that and overheat them. Good luck with your search

Wahrsuul

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The 08+ 4.7 was a big change from the 07- 4.7. Lots more HP and torque. My first 09 had the 4.7 and was a decent engine.

A trans cooler is a must with the 545REF trans. Also, keep the fluid clean. Seems to be a decent trans, but from everything I've read, it needs regular maintenance.

I forget - is GVWR the loaded weight? If so, you'll be fine. A good WD hitch is recommended, and since you're talking about hilly areas, trailer brakes would be a very good thing.

Thendrix

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
A word on brakes, if you're going to be towing on the same roads as my wife and kids, please have a working and properly set brake controller. They're to cheap and easy to have and use

OP
OP
S

Shane K Torres

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
My truck is fully equipped with trailer brakes since the first trailer I owned. So will the trailer I buy next.