Towing from Cali to North Carolina

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brometheus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I just got my first RAM a few days ago, I haven't owned a cage in about 5-6 years living here in SoCal I just had a motorcycle. But I got it because I am moving to the east coast and since I own about all of nothing I'll be hauling a 6x12 Uhaul trailer behind me the whole way. Should I be running it in tow/haul the entire trip? When I moved out here I had a 6.0L diesel and I pulled the same trailer but never used tow/haul because that thing was a tank.

Truck specifics are 2012 SLT 4x4 5.7L. All stock, however I was reading around the forums and I was debating a vararam intake but I read someplace else that exhaust/intake should be done with a tune.

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Tow/haul will change your shift patterns and lock your torque convertor quicker and hold it longer to save it from eating itself. On flat stretches you won't notice it. On grades or passing you will notice the shift changes.
Coles notes version- yes. You should use it for towing that trailer. It won't do any harm using it. Not using it could though. Just my .02

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
I would use it you'll get about 2mpg less and to me that would be worth it. The Wind the trailer catches is probably worse that the weight.

2014StormTrooper

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Longhorn 4x4 2003 LY Evo VIII ER Built 2.2L
Engine
6.7 CTD / 4G63
I just moved from Vegas to central Texas towing a 6x12 uhaul behind my truck, it did great the whole way. I didn't use tow/haul mode though except going up big grades. My truck is the 8spd with 3.92's though so it might be diff.

OP
OP
B

brometheus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the advice guys. I'm kinda looking forward to the trip, not the wind whipping the trailer though.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Thanks for the advice guys. I'm kinda looking forward to the trip, not the wind whipping the trailer though.

Trailer is lighter than the truck it shouldn't be a handful. should be a smooth trip just keep spare tire few tools to get you out of a bind and don't look back.