Towing Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

QMAN88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I have a 2013 1500 5.7 HEMI 8 speed trans. What is the towing capacity for this truck? I don't have an owners manual and the stickers/plates are not giving me a clear picture as to what the maximum towing is.

rzr6-4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Sticker isn't clear as in you don't understand what it means? Tow rating will vary a lot based on what options your truck had equipped from factory, people can give you a rough estimate but the sticker in the door will be the only way to know for sure. Post a pic of it and someone should be able to explain.

jawzs2

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010, 2014
Engine
1500, 3500
This should get you close, as you can see, there are a lot of variables, and I wouldn't take this as gospel, weights can vary depending on options and accessories. The door sticker will be closer to a true number, but again, any added equipment will affect the final number. There are numerous threads on here where someone has the asked the same question over the years, there's a ton of info in them, some good, some bad. Your payload is going to be the limiting factor, the truck can pull a lot more than it can carry.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
You may not be able to get to max towing without exceeding other numbers first, mainly GRAWR. Look at the sticker in your drivers door. Guessing your GRAWR is about 3900lbs.
I had a 2013 1500 with 3.55s and it had the 5 speed auto trans. My max towing was 8600lbs. To figure it out you need to find your GCVWR and subtract the weight of your truck along with everything you will have in it including the hitch, dogs, etc

Fake-Account27

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
You can comfortably tow between 5k and 6k lbs without having to over analyze anything. Once you get over that it will depend on the trailer, tongue weight, gear and passengers in the truck etc.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Sticker isn't clear as in you don't understand what it means? Tow rating will vary a lot based on what options your truck had equipped from factory, people can give you a rough estimate but the sticker in the door will be the only way to know for sure. Post a pic of it and someone should be able to explain.
The sticker doesn't tell you anything regarding towing capacity. The best it does is give you GVWR, but you would need your GCWR to subtract from and the sticker does not give you that.

Bighorn_Brown

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This should get you close, as you can see, there are a lot of variables, and I wouldn't take this as gospel, weights can vary depending on options and accessories. The door sticker will be closer to a true number, but again, any added equipment will affect the final number. There are numerous threads on here where someone has the asked the same question over the years, there's a ton of info in them, some good, some bad. Your payload is going to be the limiting factor, the truck can pull a lot more than it can carry.

Where did you get this information? I’d like to get this detailed info for a 2024 Ram Bighorn.

sblack33741

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L Pentastar ETorque
I have a 2013 1500 5.7 HEMI 8 speed trans. What is the towing capacity for this truck? I don't have an owners manual and the stickers/plates are not giving me a clear picture as to what the maximum towing is.
What is the gear ratio?

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
Looks like my 2014 , if its same as 2013, is 10,100 lbs. trailer weight.
3.9, 8 sp, quad, 5.7H 6.4" box, no ram box.

I would think the type of the trailer would have a bearing on it, wind , flat deck or big square box.

Last edited:

Zoe Saldana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l

The limiting factor is the payload!!!!!!!

Jas34

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would think the type of the trailer would have a bearing on it, wind , flat deck or big square box.
Yes, it does. It all boils down to payload capacity of the truck as mentioned above and the tongue weight of the trailer as payload will most likely be the limiting factor.

With a flatbed you might be able to balance the load so it tows well with 10% tongue weight. A travel trailer will be closer to 15% for it to tow well, so you probably won't be able to tow as heavy of a travel trailer no matter what the manufacturer's towing capacity claims it to be.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The limiting factor is the payload!!!!!!!

Yes, it does. It all boils down to payload capacity of the truck as mentioned above and the tongue weight of the trailer as payload will most likely be the limiting factor.

With a flatbed you might be able to balance the load so it tows well with 10% tongue weight. A travel trailer will be closer to 15% for it to tow well, so you probably won't be able to tow as heavy of a travel trailer no matter what the manufacturer's towing capacity claims it to be.
Payload capacity has little to do with towing capacity until you get to the point where your payload weight is starting to dig into your GCVWR. All payload cap tells you is how much weight the truck can hold, which of course includes the tongue weight of the trailer, but it doesn't tell you the max weight the truck can pull.

jawzs2

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010, 2014
Engine
1500, 3500
Looks like another one and done

Zoe Saldana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Payload capacity has little to do with towing capacity until you get to the point where your payload weight is starting to dig into your GCVWR. All payload cap tells you is how much weight the truck can hold, which of course includes the tongue weight of the trailer, but it doesn't tell you the max weight the truck can pull.
" but it doesn't tell you the max weight the truck can pull."

I didn't say it did.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
" but it doesn't tell you the max weight the truck can pull."

I didn't say it did.
The OP's question was: "I have a 2013 1500 5.7 HEMI 8 speed trans. What is the towing capacity for this truck? I don't have an owners manual and the stickers/plates are not giving me a clear picture as to what the maximum towing is."

In your one and only answer in Post #13 you literally said, "The limiting factor is the payload!!!!!!!"

I was refuting that. Payload is not the limiting factor as to your towing capacity. It is the limiting factor to your GVWR, which also has nothing to do with the towing capacity.

markabby

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
ugh....3:21 rear end...towing a 16' landscape trailer with a freeze on it and a golf cart, with a truck box loaded with stuff....at 85mph i got 10 to 11 mpg...at 75mph, i was at 12.5 to 13.5mpg on the highway.

I'm getting rid of that trailer and going with a 12 foot double axle.

Zoe Saldana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
The OP's question was: "I have a 2013 1500 5.7 HEMI 8 speed trans. What is the towing capacity for this truck? I don't have an owners manual and the stickers/plates are not giving me a clear picture as to what the maximum towing is."

In your one and only answer in Post #13 you literally said, "The limiting factor is the payload!!!!!!!"

I was refuting that. Payload is not the limiting factor as to your towing capacity. It is the limiting factor to your GVWR, which also has nothing to do with the towing capacity.

You do not understand the relationship among the numbers.