Towing with MDS?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pir8matt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello all, first post! New user here but not new to forums. I have searched here before joining for an answer but wasnt able to find my question specifically addressed. I've had my 2011 Ram since about this time last year, and I like it a lot. I actually drive it more than my other ride, an 07 Dodge Magnum SRT8.

The question I have though, is regarding the tow/haul button. I pull a smallish trailer (6x8) loaded with band gear a few times a week, but I have a couple of longer hauls coming up. I live in Florida where its pretty flat, so MDS actually works well for my use, but I'm unsure if its bad for the transmission to haul for long distances in 6th gear.

If so, is there a way to keep the truck in 5th gear but allow MDS to activate? It seems like it'd save me some gas on longer drives, where I currently get 11-12mpg pulling the trailer. It'd be nice to be able to do better than that.

Thanks for any input!

Johnn123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
My number one rule of towing, never tow in overdrive. I dont care what anyone says it will damage the trans. Tow/haul adjusts the shift points for higher rpms while towing. Having it lug in the higher gear will cause the fluid to overheat which can and will cause damage to the trans.

I do not believe there is a way to activate MDS and stay in 5th gear only. The mileage sucks but Id rather pay a little extra for gas than a new transmission prematurely. In my case, I tow a small 12' aluminum boat and small outboard motor on a home made boat trailer but I still use tow/haul everywhere I go with it.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Towing light weight aint gonna matter for chit, whatever you do will be fine. MDS is good for gas mileage in the lab, try running the one way in Drive without tow haul and do your gas mileage, and on the way back try using tow haul and try gas mileage. I personally think driving in tow haul all the time is better then those horrible stock shift points, but that is an opinion not based in actual facts.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
You may want Tow/Haul mode on if you get into some some hills or mountains that bog you down but for mostly flat towing I'd stick with OD. It won't hurt the transmission.

OP
OP
P

pir8matt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
for that kind of weight it's not gonna matter

I guess I never really said how much weight, but adding it all up, its probably +/- 1000 lbs or so. Will that still not matter?

OP
OP
P

pir8matt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You may want Tow/Haul mode on if you get into some some hills or mountains that bog you down but for mostly flat towing I'd stick with OD. It won't hurt the transmission.

Hills? Mountains? We have no such things in FL. :)

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
MDS barely works in real world driving unloaded. i cant imagine it would do anything while towing, considering you would even be able to keep it activated. ive found i get better MPGs by disabling MDS so that it isnt constantly kicking in and out.

OP
OP
P

pir8matt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the responses ya'll! MDS actually really does work well in FL on I75/I4 jaunts. I don't typically speed, so once I get to open highway I set the cruise to 65-70 or so and MDS is usually on for extended periods. I had it with an 06 Magnum I used to own as well, and could get 19-20mpg on highway trips if I kept my foot out of it.

Might not be as easy with the trailer and 1000+ lb load but I'm mainly just trying to make sure it won't burn up the tranny letting it go to 6th on long, flag hauls. I'll probably try it out next month (out n back to key west from Tampa Bay area).

Thanks again!

JTrean

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Isn't MDS deactivated in tow/haul mode? I put my truck in tow/haul last night and MDS never engaged. This was all unloaded of course, so I'm gonna say its not going to come on no matter what gear you're in. P.S. I hate MDS!!

Andy578

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I guess I never really said how much weight, but adding it all up, its probably +/- 1000 lbs or so. Will that still not matter?

won't matter. i pull a 2200lb car trailer with 2 ATVs(roughly 3500lbs total) and never use tow/haul. with the 6 speed you might notice it a bit more but i highly doubt it with that little weight. you can turn tow/haul on and off as needed anyway so if you find a hill or something you can always hit the button

Isn't MDS deactivated in tow/haul mode? I put my truck in tow/haul last night and MDS never engaged. This was all unloaded of course, so I'm gonna say its not going to come on no matter what gear you're in. P.S. I hate MDS!!

up to 2013 or something like that tow/haul disabled it but the new ones can only be disabled by using manual mode or a tuner. as for when it activates it really depends on your RPM and with the speed limits in the US you'll see it activate a lot less

Last edited:

QwikKota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Hills? Mountains? We have no such things in FL. :)

Some people only reply to the thread title. If this is a tall enclosed trailer that might add some additional drag to the tow equating to the need for more power and explain why your mileage is so bad.

rduchateau2954

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can also hit the +/- on your shifter, put it in 5, and it's will go through the gears normally without MDS. It will also not engine brake like in tow haul mode.

TruckNut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

In my 2013 Durango R/T, Tow/Haul DEACTIVATED MDS (6 speed)
In my 2015 RAM Sport, Tow/Haul does not affect MDS. Must use paddles to disable MDS (8 speed)

PippinAin'tEasy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
It is my firm belief that the Miccosukee cursed Alligator Alley to be uphill both ways. Never get good mpgs out there. If you have the 8spd engage tow/haul and lock out 8. Best combo I've found for hauling S. Fla. Where you playing Key Weird? Schooner, Parrot?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

hunter99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a small teardrop trailer that weighs no more than 1500lbs loaded. I tried tow/ haul and it was awful. There are a lot of hills here and it kept staying in a lower gear when i didn't need it. Watching the mileage, engine temp, and tranny temp they all got worse with it. I finally turned it off and all improved. Either something is wrong with it or it really needs a heavier load to be effective.

Jerry1984

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Too light to be effective. I turned mine off hauling my ~4500 pound camper at 70 so it would shift and hold 7th at ~2500 rather than sitting at ~3000 rpms in 6th that tow/haul wanted.