Tradesman, basic yet good platform to build upon ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
DRkNESS

DRkNESS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Why all of a sudden are all of my posted pictures links broken on Tapatalk ?

Truck Fun

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I got a Tradesman for following reasons; Didn't want/need all the bells & whistles (nor pay for them). Wanted a more basic truck that I could make into something for my needs, Didn't have 20 or 22 inch rims, And was more affordable. Things like a large display screen with lots of menus is something I wouldn't use.
I'll admit, it would be nice to have power driver's seat and power folding mirrors. However, I didn't have those in my last truck so I will survive.

BigRed4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I got a Tradesman for following reasons; Didn't want/need all the bells & whistles (nor pay for them). Wanted a more basic truck that I could make into something for my needs, Didn't have 20 or 22 inch rims, And was more affordable. Things like a large display screen with lots of menus is something I wouldn't use.
I'll admit, it would be nice to have power driver's seat and power folding mirrors. However, I didn't have those in my last truck so I will survive.
Same for me and my current Tradesman, even though I like the 20" rims.

When the time comes, and I've been looking, I think I'll go with a 5th gen tradesman with the ORP. Saving the cost of a level and then throw some 34" aggressive tires on it, add exhaust and call it a day. Pretty much the same thing I did with my current truck minus the tuner because of the added cost with the locked PCM.

I don't take my truck to the dunes or mud pits but it sees plenty off pavement use and abuse and paying 60k for truck would give me a heart attack anytime a bush ran down the side driving through a field.

On an average weekend during deer season the inside and outside get's muddy and it's a truck right?

BSVmopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Big Horn CC
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Nothing wrong at all with Tradesman level. That's what I wanted but the rebates are weak for them and a Big Horn may cost the same or less in the end. Less to go wrong with the Tradesman also. Best thing about my Big Horn is the Level 2 dash, power remote mirrors and heated seats. All things you can live without but nice to have.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Nothing wrong at all with Tradesman level. That's what I wanted but the rebates are weak for them and a Big Horn may cost the same or less in the end. Less to go wrong with the Tradesman also. Best thing about my Big Horn is the Level 2 dash, power remote mirrors and heated seats. All things you can live without but nice to have.

I noticed that also. Was looking on my local dealers website yesterday and seen new Gen 5 Big Horn's selling cheaper than Gen 5 Tradesman models because of the different rebate incentives.

SargeFirstClass

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’m sure that there are some on here that do not need the bells and whistles, just wondering if any would do one and build upon that ?432a82cfeda826cba7c848893873daab.jpg
I have a 2016 regular cab long bed hemi 4x4. After a few additions it is a great truck if I can just find the vibration!c67fc843008011b7ffe0c3fd2bcec2be.jpg9142cf807b15fe01d0f16ea13a302a26.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

DJLOVESHISHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had this exact situation. I had a few requirements in a new truck. Had to be a Ram, Had to have the 5.7 Hemi, Had to have at lest the 6'4 bed, color didnt matter. Found the truck, put running boards and a bed liner in it, AWESOME!!!!!!!!!! I know alot of people like the bells and whistles and if that is your thing, great, I say get what works for you and this worked for me.

Irish.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 trademans upgrade
Engine
I got the trademark trim level 2 which got running board and spray on Bed liner. I can live without heated seats other bell and whistles.
I just put in tow hooks and fog lights on it and 4.5 inch exhaust tip.

HockeyPops

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought the tradesman for that exact reason. I knew I was going to put a lot of aftermarket into it. So far I installed a CAI, cat back, interior upgrades. Only real issue was the audio system. Putting in a new one next month. Looking to go with new wheels in the fall and then keep looking for new ideas.

NoStopN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I can't believe I hadn't found this thread earlier. Anyway, I plan to do several modifications. Thankfully, it will just be the "basics". Suspension lowering, wheels/tires, & upgrade the stereo. The windows have been tinted & the truck's speakers are way better than the bargain trim would suggest. Those won't get replaced until they pop.

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
Post #3, in my opinion, captures how we beat the manufacture "option escalation price program" More and more buyers like those here, have figured out, that they can own the brand truck that they want. Add features and options after purchase that are often less expensive, are specific to their likes and not pay a premium for an unwanted option package. In our truck group we have a couple Tradesman smart owners. Their trucks fit right in with the Big Horn, Laramie etc. The difference is they paid well under $40k versus $60-$80.
I have been buying trucks for over 35 years. I buy a SLT factory order. I paid $36k for our 2018 2500 CC 6.4 6 speed auto. One of the advantages we have with the Ram options is we can often buy specific function or feature with out buying the package. i.e. Folding electric tow mirrors for $150. At our age we must have the electric adjustment seats and better interior. Fitz

Slevin

Reaction score
I wish they made a luxury interior (power everything, sound system, leather, etc) with a basic exterior.

I love my Laramie's interior but could easily do without big wheels and all the chrome.

OP
OP
DRkNESS

DRkNESS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Anyone have anything new they’ve possibly have updated to their Tradesman ?

NoStopN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I wish they made a luxury interior (power everything, sound system, leather, etc) with a basic exterior.

I love my Laramie's interior but could easily do without big wheels and all the chrome.

To be honest, with the exception of leather seats, the 2019 Ram has more "luxury" features than my older trucks had. Power windows, door locks, mirrors, heated mirrors, 2 USB plugs that will play music. No more of those dangerous CDs. :rotflmao:

Anyone have anything new they’ve possibly have updated to their Tradesman ?

I've added some new songs to a thumb drive to go into one of those USB ports. :rotflmao:

OP
OP
DRkNESS

DRkNESS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Heck lol I’ll take that, especially if you post some photos of your truck. :)

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
I picked my Low end 2015 SLT w/ V6 for the same reason ! Not a ton of things I do not really need or want. I did ass back up camera and boards plus a few other goodies I wanted ! Plus paying more for a truck then I did my first house :O ain't going to happen lol

OP
OP
DRkNESS

DRkNESS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Trust me I get it as several folks around here are running home sized diesel trucks as grocery getters. I think the one guy has a satellite dish on his lol. Again I’m not hating on them, I just wanted to see how creative folks are being with their Tradesman. :)

Ram Dan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I got a tradesmen also just the basics just to throw some gear and coolers and grandson and wife in the truck and head to camp on weekends about 6 tenths of a mile of the beaten path .