Trailer brake control. Oem or aftermarket

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jknappen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
just as the title says. Should I go with oem for that factory look and pay around 225-250 installed and programed or get an aftermarket trailer brake controller? Cost wise says go with aftermarket? What is a good aftermarket controller that is small and mounts pretty discreetley?

Wilmer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There was a thread I read somewhere, similar question was asked.
The OEM is just as good or better than aftermarket. Function is identical, better because of the integration into the EVIC/Cluster and Uconnect radio if you have it.

Cost is always a deciding factor. I picked up an OEM electric brake controller for $72 shipped on OfferUp, and the switch the goes in the bezel for $40 on ebay.

For programming, I decided to get the AlfaOBD software and OBD2 bluetooth dongle. Another $110 together.

Once I get all the upgrades I want, I will go to the dealer and have them flash all the sales codes at once. I could get lucky and there is a recall that requires the computer to be flashed and they add the codes for free.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
The OEM trailer brake controller uses both speed and braking force to determine application of the trailer brakes. It also incorporates the trailer stability control built in the truck. As mentioned above the trailer brake read out and warnings pop up in the EVIC, somethings aftermarket can't do.

OP
OP
jknappen

jknappen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There was a thread I read somewhere, similar question was asked.
The OEM is just as good or better than aftermarket. Function is identical, better because of the integration into the EVIC/Cluster and Uconnect radio if you have it.

Cost is always a deciding factor. I picked up an OEM electric brake controller for $72 shipped on OfferUp, and the switch the goes in the bezel for $40 on ebay.

For programming, I decided to get the AlfaOBD software and OBD2 bluetooth dongle. Another $110 together.

Once I get all the upgrades I want, I will go to the dealer and have them flash all the sales codes at once. I could get lucky and there is a recall that requires the computer to be flashed and they add the codes for free.
I have a 2018 with the 5 inch touch screen. I called an my dealer can flash it for about 55 plus tax. I can get the brake controller for 165 on ebay. Aftermarket would be a lot less expensive

bdc2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had a prodigy brake controller on my old truck and it did a better job of braking than my integrated does now. It had 3 options for preset braking voltage. Integrated only has 2. And the light trailer setting does very little to stop my 3200 lb trailer empty weight.

akordboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just got a used, but practically brand new one off of eBay. Just use AlphaOBD to enable it.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Longhorn1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Longhorn
Engine
Cummins SO
The new (April 2019) Trailer Life magazine did a review of a new trailer brake controller. The sub-title says: "Redarc's Tow-Pro Elite rivals factory-installed brake controllers, applies sophisticated electronic technology and adds a big dose of safety." In reading the article, it sounds like a really nice unit. It is expensive though list price is $202.10 plus wire and circuit breaker.

That said, my experience with add-on and OEM controllers is that the OEM ones are far superior.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
Me too I thought I my integrated needed flashed. If there was a good cubby to stick a prodigy I would switch.

I could never get the ITBC to lock the brakes on any of my trailers. Cranked all the way up it just lacked the voltage. The P3 can lock the brakes no problem, I dial it back a few numbers and it's good to go. I also prefer the feel of the brake control when using the manual lever. Like it gives me more positive feedback from the brakes when I'm using it. Hard to explain. ITBC feels numb, like it's doing what it wants to do regardless of my input.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Me too I thought I my integrated needed flashed. If there was a good cubby to stick a prodigy I would switch.

I could never get the ITBC to lock the brakes on any of my trailers. Cranked all the way up it just lacked the voltage. The P3 can lock the brakes no problem, I dial it back a few numbers and it's good to go. I also prefer the feel of the brake control when using the manual lever. Like it gives me more positive feedback from the brakes when I'm using it. Hard to explain. ITBC feels numb, like it's doing what it wants to do regardless of my input.

bdc2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
With the prodigy I just set it were it wouldn't lock up on sand and then it was perfect on pavement. You right about the integrated. I pull my skidsteer with a pintle and the itbc can't stay in tune and the hitch will slam around more than I'm used to. Or pulling the weight of a dump trailer it can't keep up. It needs to be a little more aggressive. When someone pulls in front of you need the voltage now ,,not a controlled stop. The prodigy will stop your truck.

oldguy2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I installed the factory unit in my 2017. I bought the kit on line and watched the Utube video to install it. Dealer charged me $67.50 in flash the computer. Am very happy using it with a 26 foot camper.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
ITBC feels numb, like it's doing what it wants to do regardless of my input.

and that is what it should do, it responds to the vehicle's dynamics, not your input. A brake controller's responsibility is to stop the trailer at the same rate as the TV is stopping.

Proportional braking is about applying a smooth braking effort on the trailer in tow. The trailer's brakes should apply a stopping effort to slow the trailer just as the TV applies the braking effort needed to stop itself. How much braking effort is the proportional part of braking. A factory brake controller will always be superior over aftermarket simply because it has additional information about the vehicle's dynamics through the CAN bus.

Locking the trailer's brakes is not an indication of the ability of a brake controller. Locking the trailer's tires doesn't stop a trailer, it could and will likely cause the trailer's loss of control. Take a scenario, pulling a loaded car hauler on wet roads and you have to panic brake. The TV's ABS system kicks on to maintain control of the TV and this information is available to the factory brake controller which responds by adjusting the PWM brake signal to the trailer's brakes. An aftermarket controller doesn't have this information available and can't mitigate this scenario thus applying full braking power to the trailer. Depending on the gain, your trailer will likely be passing you.

I've used a Prodigy II for years, it is an excellent controller but the ITBM's in my RAM's outperform it, not because it isn't a good controller, because it doesn't have all the vehicle information available.

Last edited:

Shiva

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I agree with BossHogg
Have shared a P3 between my 2 vehicles for years.Now with factory in new Ram it lives in the other truck.
Proportional controllers are great but should never be set to allow brake lockup.
A good way to set up a controller is get up to about 35 mph on dry pavement and set gain to just under lock point when you shift to neutral and nail the manual control lever.

bdc2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
and that is what it should do, it responds to the vehicle's dynamics, not your input. A brake controller's responsibility is to stop the trailer at the same rate as the TV is stopping.

Proportional braking is about applying a smooth braking effort on the trailer in tow. The trailer's brakes should apply a stopping effort to slow the trailer just as the TV applies the braking effort needed to stop itself. How much braking effort is the proportional part of braking. A factory brake controller will always be superior over aftermarket simply because it has additional information about the vehicle's dynamics through the CAN bus.

Locking the trailer's brakes is not an indication of the ability of a brake controller. Locking the trailer's tires doesn't stop a trailer, it could and will likely cause the trailer's loss of control. Take a scenario, pulling a loaded car hauler on wet roads and you have to panic brake. The TV's ABS system kicks on to maintain control of the TV and this information is available to the factory brake controller which responds by adjusting the PWM brake signal to the trailer's brakes. An aftermarket controller doesn't have this information available and can't mitigate this scenario thus applying full braking power to the trailer. Depending on the gain, your trailer will likely be passing you.

I've used a Prodigy II for years, it is an excellent controller but the ITBM's in my RAM's outperform it, not because it isn't a good controller, because it doesn't have all the vehicle information available.
Ram can't work the bugs out of their vehicle, I doubt they put that much thought into their brake controller. I imagine their main concern was lawyer proofing it.The Tow vehicles brakes were not designed to handle a 20k gvwr. In your scenario above your trailer would be pushing you. For an in town BC I don't care for it.

Last edited:

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Ram can't work the bugs out of their vehicle, I doubt they put that much thought into their brake controller. I imagine their main concern was lawyer proofing it.The Tow vehicles brakes were not designed to handle a 20k gvwr. In your scenario above your trailer would be pushing you. For an in town BC I don't care for it.

You are not understanding the value of proportion braking. The trailer stops itself as does the TV.

If you are interested, the verbiage of the patent is available online for the ITBM, it was designed and built by Continental Auto Group.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I was referring to the manual control. It just doesn't feel like it's doing much at all. Around town on flat land the ITBC is fine. I don't live on flat land. For instance, towing my 8300# trailer coming down a 6% grade, even with it cranked all the way up and mashing the manual control, i could still feel the trailer pushing my truck. I don't get that feeling with the P3. It's not about locking the trailer brakes. I only do that to see the limit, then I dial the sensitivity down a few percent so I can get maximum braking without locking when fully engaging the manual control. I really don't care who designed the ITBC or what they intended it to do, it doesn't do it. I've been towing heavy trailers for 20+ years and Ram's ITBC is severely lacking.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OEM all the way. Had OEM put into MY 19 when I bought it since FCA kinda has this thing of not putting them in, hmmmmmmmmm

bdc2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You are not understanding the value of proportion braking. The trailer stops itself as does the TV.

If you are interested, the verbiage of the patent is available online for the ITBM, it was designed and built by Continental Auto Group.
I understand what you are saying. But I don't believe the itbm was designed for everybody. I believe the emphasis was put on it maintaining a controlled stop. When somebody cuts across the road in front of me or decides to cut me off I want my vehicle to slow down quicker than it does. As it is you really have to punch the pedal to get the voltage up. I'd be interested in seeing some comparisons in deceleration rates.