Trailer Brake controller, How do I know if it is working?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joe.G

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 SLT Quad Cab Short Bed
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi, I have a Tekonsha unsure what model but I can check later today, It is just a basic slide controller, I hooked up a trailer that has Electric brakes but the controller didn't do anything no lights lit up on the controller even if I slide it manually. The trailer I used may not have working brakes so It was not the best one to try ( Trailer is going though a overhaul ).

How can I check the controller with out a working trailer hooked up?

Should it light up if I slide the slider over with nothing hooked up?

Any and all tips would be great .

Thanks

2004 Ram 1500 with Factory Tow Package.

MikeT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
Connect the trailer, with the engine running, step on the brakes. The controller should respond that it is sending a signal back to the trailer. I have the same brand of controller and my controller lights up whenever a trailer is connected. When I hit the brakes the screen on the controller tells me how much pressure the controller is sending to the trailer brakes. If yours isn't sending some sort of signal then you need to start checking the connectors for the controller, the 7 pin on your truck and the trailer. My controller lights up even if no trailer is connected just to tell me there isn't a trailer connected.

Mike

OP
OP
J

Joe.G

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine just has a single LED light, The 7 pin in the back does allow the lights to work on the trailer, I would like to see if I am getting power to the controller first, Electric isn't my strong point.

WY-Dave

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500
Engine
6.7 CTD
google how to adj trailer brake controller plenty of vids

Smokeybear01

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
The light only comes on mine when I step on the brakes and then the little bulb goes from yellow to red depending on how much trailer brake you want by sliding the lever. If all your lights are working on the trailer I would check the hot wire to the trailer brakes first and then go from there. There isn't really much to a brake controller to go wrong unless the rheostat gets fried. Under $30. to replace if you have to. In most states they're required on any trailer with a gross weight over a certain number. The specific number is relative to your state so I won't mention any. Good luck,

I should also add, a lot of old timers simply slam on the brakes when they're barely rolling to get the feel for them and adjusted properly each time they hook up. Guilty.

MikeT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
If your truck has been factory wired for towing (like your said), then there should be a cable from the back of the controller to a connector (on my truck, 06 it is under the dash on the far left side, near the pedal for the emergency brake.) It's a light blue connector - again on my 06. In any event there should be a cable coming from your controller to a connector. If that's there and connected, you may have to do some fuse checking and making sure wires are connected. The controller should be getting battery voltage more or less directly from the battery which most likely is fused, that is the voltage that the controller uses to send to the trailer brakes and depending on the force of your braking it sends a varying amount of voltage to the brakes. There will also be switched 12 volts going to the controller to run the internal electronics of the controller.

I advise trying to get the owners manual for your model brake controller. You can Google the name of the controller to get their website. The manual will have the connector pin-outs so you can check for proper voltage to the controller this will tell you if you have what you need to get the controller to work. Many of the websites that sell trailer components will have the pin-outs for the 7 pin at the back of your truck. Etrailer.com has them as I recall. This can also be useful in allowing you to check the complete system right away.

If this is getting too deep for you, you may just want to take the truck to an RV dealer or some place like Camping World if you have one nearby. They install and service brake controllers for a living and should be able to troubleshoot the system in short order.

Mike

OP
OP
J

Joe.G

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I figured it out today and the issue is in the trailer, I used a volt meter and a test light and everything on the truck side is working as it should and with the test light the controller also lit up. The Controller needs resistance to light up.

Now I need to figure out how to wire the trailer up correctly.

MikeT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
Get to that website I linked to in my last post. They have the pin-out listed for the 7 pin trailer connector. That should be all you need.

Mike

OP
OP
J

Joe.G

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How does the following plan sound,
I'll get the Brake kit and the junction box linked to below.
I'll run 10 Ga blue wire to the brakes along with white ground or get a duplex wire in a jacket but I won't run across trailer from brake to brake I'll do a home run to junction box from each side.

I'll then use a 14 gauge duplex jacketed wire and run to each tail light and then a single wire to each marker, I believe the lights are all self grounding. I gues I'll need to run a ground from junction to trailer as well. I think running home runs will eliminate a few splices.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0098M5...olid=2SITI2N7NEK2Q&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

https://www.etrailer.com/Wiring/etrailer/e99011.html

Smokeybear01

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
If the bolt hole pattern is correct for your trailer and the lights are all grounded and you use the wire you mentioned, it should all work. Etrailer is super if you have any questions. I purchased my last 5th whl hitch from them and have picked their brains with LED questions and trailer wiring questions in the past. Very helpful staff. The brake ass's should come with a wiring diagram as well as the kit from etrailer. Good luck,

I should add, this is a good time to repack them whl bearings while you're into it.

OP
OP
J

Joe.G

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just did all of the Bearings, i replaced them and the races.