Trailer Brake Controller

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bramic71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello. 2022 Ram 2500 Tradesman Crewcab 4x4 w/6.7. My truck has both tow plugs and Class V hitch, but didn't come from factory with trailer brake controller. Trailer brake controller adapter wiring is in a package under back seat. Can anyone recommend an aftermarket trailer brake controller? Also, do the aftermarket controller need to have the computer flashed? Thanks

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Why not buy a oem brake controller and buy alfaobd and turn it on? It really is that simple and the oem brake controller works great.

OP
OP
Bramic71

Bramic71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was thinking the oem would be too expensive and I hate taking the dash apart on a new truck. Maybe I am overthinking the install and cost

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
To answer your question, no, if you use an aftermarket brake controller you do not have to flash the computer because they bypass the trucks computers. The above mentioned alphaOBD can be used to activate the factory brake controller which will give you the dashboard display when the trailer is plugged in. Unfortunately the alphaOBD and the necessary bypass cable and bluetooth reader needed to use the alphaOBD can cost close to $400. for everything plus the cost of the factory brake controller. The dealers should be able to flash the computer for a couple hundred bucks. Again, the aftermarket controller does not have to have the computer flashed but you will not have the dash display.

OP
OP
Bramic71

Bramic71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
To answer your question, no, if you use an aftermarket brake controller you do not have to flash the computer because they bypass the trucks computers. The above mentioned alphaOBD can be used to activate the factory brake controller which will give you the dashboard display when the trailer is plugged in. Unfortunately the alphaOBD and the necessary bypass cable and bluetooth reader needed to use the alphaOBD can cost close to $400. for everything plus the cost of the factory brake controller. The dealers should be able to flash the computer for a couple hundred bucks. Again, the aftermarket controller does not have to have the computer flashed but you will not have the dash display.
Thank you for that explanation.

OP
OP
Bramic71

Bramic71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you. I will look into that.
If you do go aftermarket I too would recommend the Tekonsha brand. I cant tell you which particular one as I believe they make several different models which have different options but I used them in my old Nissan back in the day and it never gave me any problems

chopperman1

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Rebel
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I woud urge you to go OEM. There are many sellers out there that sell OEM for the same $$ (or dang close) to quality aftermarket. Steve White motors on eBay is one such company (where I bought mine). Costs around 190$. You can find someone local with AlfaOBD, or you can buy yourself to enable it.

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

$400?!?! my bypass cable was $50 and my obd scanner i use is $11.99 alfaobd is what $50? you can find oem brake controller for $150 on ebay so $266ish for a factory brake controller that works with your computer system. also displays on that dash and you can save multiple trailers and it records how many miles you were hooked up to each trailer. taking apart your day really isnt that bad and i would do it vs installing a 3rd party controller myself.

Thank you for that explanation.
@Bramic71 its up to you but it really is not hard to install oem and the cost is really not $400. once you invest in alfaobd it sets up you up to add other stuff later.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
some dealerships will discount the programming, if you purchase the product through them

If i owned a smart phone, i would download that AlfaOBD & use it
( i have trouble enough figuring out my landline phone )

Just think of the things you are able to do & the money that you save by no longer having to pay the dealer for programming with the AlfaOBD APP
Trailer Brakes
Daylight Running Lights
Power Folding Mirrors

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I can say with the two new RAM trucks (2500, and 3500) I have had in the past few years, the OEM brake controllers have been worthless on every one of the three different new fifth wheels I have owned. They all were set on heavy electric setting and maxed out on 10, and the the affects were dismal to nothing at all for brakes. Installed a tekonsha prodigiy P3 after market brake controller with the adapter wiring harness which tales about 10 minutes. By passing the OEM brake controller completely. And I can lock up the trailers tires when ever I want to if needed. Night and day difference in the way the brakes now work.

JNelson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
For what it’s worth I had two dealers that said the OEM controller was not available for my truck. All the wiring was under the dash. I just bought the Infotainment OEM brake controller package and installed in about hour and half - taking my time. It’s pretty simple.

Works perfect. A little pricey but I can afford it.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I can say with the two new RAM trucks (2500, and 3500) I have had in the past few years, the OEM brake controllers have been worthless on every one of the three different new fifth wheels I have owned.
I had the same experience with a new fiver the wife and I bought until I realized while researching why the trailer brakes didn't appear to work, is no one told me I needed to bed the brakes. Once that was completed no issues.

Use the break-away cable to test the RV's brakes. My OEM brake controller works perfectly on my 3500 and in my 1500 on a dual axle flatbed, a 16-foot dump, and a Montana 3790RD.

JohnCMac

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Gas only
I have the OEM controller our 2019 Ram. It has worked fine locally. We will put it to the test in a few days when we leave for a 5,000-mile trip to Colorado and Wyoming.
However, before this I always used a Tekonsha. First it was the Prodigy on my old Xterra, and then the Prodigy 2 on my Ridgelines. Never had a problem. The Tekonsha is probably easier and cheaper to install/have installed, but the OEM looks cleaner.
Really seems like six of one, half dozen of the other. Comes done to preference.