Trailer mods, what have you done?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Loudram

Loudram

Just a sinner saved by grace
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ah crap now I need those. Didn't know it existed, and I was happy. Now I can't live without it....

I have nice LEDs under the awning. But I love your idea of putting them under the trailer. Nothing to shine in your eyes.
We have the same led's under our awning to but these will be a little less harsh. And the nice thing is the company is an American owned small family business.

KMKKOZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
We have the same led's under our awning to but these will be a little less harsh.

Yup I definitely saw that right away. Love the remote idea, I like sitting in my camp chair and only getting up for a beer or bourbon.

Ordered it already, thanks for the Fireside code!!

Paul Michaels

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Nice that we are discussing Travel trailers in this forum. Sometimes, these get over looked. I have a 2018 RAM 1500 Lone Star Silver Edition, w/ max towing of 8400lb. I installed the max tow package. I was planning on purchasing a TT in the next months. Hopefully w/ a bunkhouse (one 15yo daughter), max 30' & 7700-7900lb GWVR. Does anyone have any ideas, comments, advice?

OP
OP
Loudram

Loudram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nice that we are discussing Travel trailers in this forum. Sometimes, these get over looked. I have a 2018 RAM 1500 Lone Star Silver Edition, w/ max towing of 8400lb. I installed the max tow package. I was planning on purchasing a TT in the next months. Hopefully w/ a bunkhouse (one 15yo daughter), max 30' & 7700-7900lb GWVR. Does anyone have any ideas, comments, advice?
Look at your payload first and go by that and the trailer tongue weight. If you get a trailer that fits then chances are it'll be within your tow limits. Your truck is on the loaded side so your payload will be low. Typically you'll run out of payload before you hit your towing limit.

For trailer tongue weight add 100lbs to their advertised weight for propane and battery. That's your starting weight. It just get heavier from there depending on what you put in the trailer and where you put it.

For payload deduct gear, passengers, and mods added to your truck like step bars or a tonneau cover. Payload ratings already include all fluids full including gas.

Last edited:

Paul Michaels

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thank you very much. I have a worksheet calculator I got from one of the YouTubers. I'm working with that to get me to where I need to go. Again, Thank you & have Safe Travels!!!

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
To the OP. I'm curious why you chose not to store the sewer hose inside the rear bumper?

OP
OP
Loudram

Loudram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
To the OP. I'm curious why you chose not to store the sewer hose inside the rear bumper?
I have 3 hoses in the bumper now. But I have two gray tanks. One is 1/3 of the way back and it takes two hoses to reach the back of the trailer. That leaves one hose to reach the sewer. I've camped at sites where the sewer is really far back so I want to be prepared if that happens. So I have three in the bumper and two in the tube.

old manS RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
clip_image002.jpg

The idea is to build a “toy-hauler” to carry a boat. We’ll call it a “Boat Tote”.

Challenges:

· Must be light weight enough to pull with a 1/2 ton tow vehicle.

· Must have room for a boat

16’ 3” Boat with motor on a trailer; Total boat, motor, trailer length is 20’; Total Width 6’6”, approximate weight 1200 pounds.

· Limited budget

At this point we realized if we want a quality trailer and it appears that Haulmark is the hallmark. After emailing the factory in McAdoo, PA we were scheduled to meet a dealer and a sales representative at the factory to discuss the particulars of ordering a custom built trailer.

After the meeting we gave them our specifications and they said they would custom build the base trailer with the optional air conditioning, RV windows and RV door in our specified location. We opted for the deluxe trim package with linoleum flooring and vinyl covered walls and ceiling.

We took delivery in May 2016 and started building an interior that will fold to within six inches of the wall making it possible to pull the boat on its trailer up inside.

Ammenties: Full shower, 12 gal. hot water, flush toilet, laundry chute, fridge, microwave, two burner hot plate, TV, his & her closets. Full size bed.
clip_image004.jpg
clip_image006.jpg
clip_image008.jpg
clip_image010.jpg
clip_image012.jpg
clip_image014.jpg
clip_image016.jpg
clip_image018.jpg

TTH 1.jpg

TTH 2.JPG

TTH 5.JPG

TTH 7.JPG

PrdCdn

TEAM RAMROD
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L ECO Diesel
No trailer here... I have a JUMPING JACK trailer...
Since day 1.
Installed proper jack
built tongue box
built solar power
interior lights
USB / 12V rear plugs
upgraded wiring
back up camera
back up lights

just so I can haul my toys around!!
20180629_165444.jpg 20180629_214728.jpg

chris1126

RAMINA
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

KMKKOZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
clip_image002.jpg

The idea is to build a “toy-hauler” to carry a boat. We’ll call it a “Boat Tote”.

Challenges:

· Must be light weight enough to pull with a 1/2 ton tow vehicle.

· Must have room for a boat

16’ 3” Boat with motor on a trailer; Total boat, motor, trailer length is 20’; Total Width 6’6”, approximate weight 1200 pounds.

· Limited budget

At this point we realized if we want a quality trailer and it appears that Haulmark is the hallmark. After emailing the factory in McAdoo, PA we were scheduled to meet a dealer and a sales representative at the factory to discuss the particulars of ordering a custom built trailer.

After the meeting we gave them our specifications and they said they would custom build the base trailer with the optional air conditioning, RV windows and RV door in our specified location. We opted for the deluxe trim package with linoleum flooring and vinyl covered walls and ceiling.

We took delivery in May 2016 and started building an interior that will fold to within six inches of the wall making it possible to pull the boat on its trailer up inside.

Ammenties: Full shower, 12 gal. hot water, flush toilet, laundry chute, fridge, microwave, two burner hot plate, TV, his & her closets. Full size bed.
clip_image004.jpg
clip_image006.jpg
clip_image008.jpg
clip_image010.jpg
clip_image012.jpg
clip_image014.jpg
clip_image016.jpg
clip_image018.jpg

View attachment 244322

View attachment 244323

View attachment 244324

View attachment 244326

That is amazing. I would definitely love that set-up to haul motorcycle on vacation. Nice job!

Michael

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have 3 hoses in the bumper now. But I have two gray tanks. One is 1/3 of the way back and it takes two hoses to reach the back of the trailer. That leaves one hose to reach the sewer. I've camped at sites where the sewer is really far back so I want to be prepared if that happens. So I have three in the bumper and two in the tube.

I’ve got two grey tanks too. The one in the rear has a pipe that runs the grey water towards the middle front where all three tanks drain from. So there is only one place to connect a hose. Near the rear tank is where the drain lever is for the rear tank.

OP
OP
Loudram

Loudram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’ve got two grey tanks too. The one in the rear has a pipe that runs the grey water towards the middle front where all three tanks drain from. So there is only one place to connect a hose. Near the rear tank is where the drain lever is for the rear tank.
I wish all manufacturers did that. It's so much easier and really, how much more could it cost?

regal81455

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I wish all manufacturers did that. It's so much easier and really, how much more could it cost?

Not trying to sound like an ass, could you do it yourself now? Is there enough fall available? Maybe hard piping together would be the way to go?

KMKKOZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hmm. I might look at mine and see also. My kitchen grey tank outlet is 12 feet further forward than my rear grey and black outlet. I have one hose so I move it around. Interesting idea to join them together in the back.

Oh and grey and black valve labels were backwards from the factory. When you pull grey you get black. Kind of surprised the first time.

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Hmm. I might look at mine and see also. My kitchen grey tank outlet is 12 feet further forward than my rear grey and black outlet. I have one hose so I move it around. Interesting idea to join them together in the back.

Oh and grey and black valve labels were backwards from the factory. When you pull grey you get black. Kind of surprised the first time.

I had the same problem with my tank labels. Couldnt figure out why my grey tank was filling when I had just dumped them a few days earlier. How smart do you have to be as a label installer at the factory to get this right?

OP
OP
Loudram

Loudram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not trying to sound like an ass, could you do it yourself now? Is there enough fall available? Maybe hard piping together would be the way to go?

That could be your next mod.
I've already watched a YouTube video on it. I'll check it out tomorrow in the light to see if I have the drop I need to do this.

My lights came today so I'll be under the trailer tomorrow installing them anyway.

KMKKOZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My lights might be in tomorrow! Can't wait. Funny the stuff you never needed but can't live without now.

KMKKOZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I received the lights, and they look great. Of course it's pouring rain so the install will have to wait until next week.