Train Horns?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Again, everyones truck can brake, swiftly.
Everyones truck can swerve to avoid an accident.
Damn near every Lane of traffic every truck is actually
occupying has some room to give to a damn idiot drifting into your lane.

Train Horns are for Trains.
Trains cannot stop quickly. Stopping distance is measured in whole numbers and fraction...of Miles, not feet.
Trains cannot swerve to avoid an accident. that is why their horns are so loud. to provide a warning to others.

Either way, I'm done with this thread.
Reminds of when my kids were 5yrs old and really really really wanted something incredibly stupid.

NOW, GET OFF MY DAMN LAWN !!!

Dapk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My setup on my Silverado I'll be putting on my Ram. I ran the compressors underneath while living in FL but the salt in Kansas City chewed my motors & fans up. I'll be most likely running compressors in the bed.
I don't hit them all the time but when I'm honked at , I'm happy to oblige. Especially now I'm stuck in NJ in the land of assholes. lol

horn.jpg

Last edited:

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Damn near every Lane of traffic every truck is actually
occupying has some room to give to a damn idiot drifting into your lane.
I don't know where you drive but I know it's not in Califunny because none of what I quoted you saying is true.

Know that the idiots don't "drift" into a lane, they turn into it.

davesrubyram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
When I was still commuting to work, my elevated highway route would take me over some RR tracks.

Once in a while, there would be a train passing beneath the highway. As the train approached an intersection, the conductor would give the horns a blast. It never failed to startle me and make me look for the train.

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

CoZo6

2021 Longhorn Limited 1500
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
My setup on my Silverado I'll be putting on my Ram. I ran the compressors underneath while living in FL but the salt in Kansas City chewed my motors & fans up. I'll be most likely running compressors in the bed.
I don't hit them all the time but when I'm honked at , I'm happy to oblige. Especially now I'm stuck in NJ in the land of assholes. lol

View attachment 208550
We got assholes here to. It starts with our Goober #1.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
I found the perfect horn in a ship's chandlery... I just need to find a way to mount it. It's a little over 6' long and is rated at 186dB at 2 miles... Yeah, you read that right... 186 at 2 milies!! It's a frickin' ship's horn!! It would take the glass out of the vehicle in front of you!! Of course, you'd need to mount a -real- air compressor in the bed of the truck... It requires 18 CFM at 95 PSI....

And yes, I'm serious about wanting one...
I had Nathan k5hl horns on my 5 ton front fender.Also had the correct train horn valve on the dash. Sold the truck but kept the setup. Thinking about mounting on my wifes 1500 4x4 sport.View attachment 207937
With that set up, who the needs horns. Great out fit.
there are scads of air horns off hi way trucks in the bone yards, would have rig up a compressor, not sure what the CFM requirement would be on them.
Many yrs ago I had a small air horn rig on something, not great, than I found a set that used a pressure tank, like a propane torch tank, I think Freon?? so that would tell you how long ago, got it at a speed shop and load as hell , electric solenoid, no delay while the hose pressure builds up .
some days I wish I still have them, With these new trucks, you can't run over the stupid buggers, as your truck is toast if you hit a small animal on the road.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
I found the perfect horn in a ship's chandlery... I just need to find a way to mount it. It's a little over 6' long and is rated at 186dB at 2 miles... Yeah, you read that right... 186 at 2 milies!! It's a frickin' ship's horn!! It would take the glass out of the vehicle in front of you!! Of course, you'd need to mount a -real- air compressor in the bed of the truck... It requires 18 CFM at 95 PSI....

And yes, I'm serious about wanting one...
That could get you shot , some places, but not in Canada as the F**** little Ass*** P.M. outlawed all the AR15's, and no HG carry , unless you are a little D A drug dealer, than the police don't really worry. That video post 26 I think, I rest my case, a total ass.
18 CFM is what my 10 HP shop air compressor was rated at that weight 800 pounds.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lyle Longboat

Lyle Longboat

2011 Ram 1500 5.7 Sport CC
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So my first order Of the Viking train horns didn’t go through As they couldn’t ship here in isolation. So I found another set of Wolo Cannon Ball express Pro and just under $800 shipped. At least I stayed in my budget of not exceeding $800 lol.

mynameisante

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I have them on my dump trucks. I use them regularly when I get blatantly cutoff, the driver is a a-hole, and when the driver decides that they cant decide to hit the freeway on-ramp properly

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Lyle Longboat

Lyle Longboat

2011 Ram 1500 5.7 Sport CC
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Got the cannon ball express train hornS installed tonight. Man what a PITA doing it alone lol. Had to first dab up some brackets out of u joints and aluminum that was cut down to size for the air tank. Mounted everything in the spare tire area. I’ll be doing the wiring up tomorrow sometime hopefully. I drilled some Holes and bolted away. Everything right and sturdy with no clearance issues. I can still get to my rear end to complete lube job, diff change. Not to bad, but holding the horns up and bolting was a struggle. 09A6E4A5-C0E6-4024-8572-CF99B199C556.jpeg F2DCBB80-9B9B-48D1-8142-381B1212F90E.jpeg
compressor is mounted right above where the spare tiRe use to sit. Kind of protected. 15C868D3-055E-4AE5-8472-582FAE8A6009.jpeg F3F7A989-528A-46A7-B89A-4400596F37FD.jpeg

NJMOPAR

Older and faster
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
With them facing backwards, I'm trying to imagine some imploded, reverse Doppler effect experience as someone standing while you blast by at 60mph. :confused::eek::D

Broodomni

Reaction score
It sounds like you're pretty passionate about the proper use of train horns! You make a good point about their purpose being to alert others due to the limitations of trains in stopping and maneuvering.
I get the frustration when people use train horns inappropriately, like on regular vehicles. It can be annoying and unsafe.
If you're looking for a loud and attention-grabbing horn for your vehicle, you might want to check out the Dewalt air horn at https://bosshorn.com/products/dewalt-train-horn. It could be a fun and legal way to make sure you're heard on the road.

Last edited:

jeeperrob_k3rob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L Pentacrap
So I am a train guy. And I have located a set of Nathan K3LA 5 trumpets. Now I need an Air Compressor and small reservoir. They are STUPID loud and echo through my entire valley. LOVE ME SOME TRAIN HORNS.

IDSandman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It sounds like you're pretty passionate about the proper use of train horns! You make a good point about their purpose being to alert others due to the limitations of trains in stopping and maneuvering.
Solid bump of a well beaten 4yo thread. Lmao!