Tranny “shudder” when shifting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lucky8926

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I have a 2014 Ram 2500 that currently has about 46,000 miles. My transmission seems to have a shudder when shifting from 1st-2nd & 2nd-3rd under low acceleration. It also has harsh downshift when slowing down going back to 2nd and 1st. A few months ago the dealership replaced 1-2 shift solenoid pack. These issues started after this repair was done. At first I thought the shudder and hard downshift was the computer relearning shift patterns and assumed it would get better. It has not, and actually has gotten worse. My truck has very low miles, and although it’s a 2500 I’ve never towed anything over 1000 lbs.
Another issue that started after the solenoid replacement is when I am driving forward, come to a stop and shift into reverse, the transmission seems to be in neutral instead of reverse even though the gear selector indicates it is in reverse, or all the letters of the gear indicator will be yellow.
I’ve also noticed a low pitched “squeak” from time to time when moving at slow speeds, under 5 mph. It’s typically when I’m in a parking lot. I don’t know if these are all connected but they all started about the same time after the dealership changed solenoid pack.
I haven’t taken it in to the dealership yet because they’ve ****** me around with an issue I had a while back, so now I like to be prepared with some info of what may be causing a problem before I head in there.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Could be fluid getting past check balls, I'm not sure what a 1-2 solenoid pack is, but you issue doesn't fit the usual worn issues with the rfe. Usually valve body leaks and pistons go whack in OD gears first if leaky VB is issue, thus why it could be dirty fluid or contamination in check balls. I'd say most surely the issue is in valve body, which are plug and play. If you can drop a transmission pan you can change a VB.

https://youtu.be/i0cRTBVCb50?t=460

OP
OP
L

lucky8926

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The shift solenoid was bad. The code was P0750 and means bad shift solenoid “A”. It was my understanding that solenoid A is what tells the trans to shift to and from 1st and 2nd. That may be completely wrong though. Either way, the Stealership did all the work. I had them replace the filters while they had it apart. They didn’t report seeing any other issues while they were in there.

Soileau

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 R/T Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I have a 2014 Ram 2500 that currently has about 46,000 miles. My transmission seems to have a shudder when shifting from 1st-2nd & 2nd-3rd under low acceleration. It also has harsh downshift when slowing down going back to 2nd and 1st. A few months ago the dealership replaced 1-2 shift solenoid pack. These issues started after this repair was done. At first I thought the shudder and hard downshift was the computer relearning shift patterns and assumed it would get better. It has not, and actually has gotten worse. My truck has very low miles, and although it’s a 2500 I’ve never towed anything over 1000 lbs.
Another issue that started after the solenoid replacement is when I am driving forward, come to a stop and shift into reverse, the transmission seems to be in neutral instead of reverse even though the gear selector indicates it is in reverse, or all the letters of the gear indicator will be yellow.
I’ve also noticed a low pitched “squeak” from time to time when moving at slow speeds, under 5 mph. It’s typically when I’m in a parking lot. I don’t know if these are all connected but they all started about the same time after the dealership changed solenoid pack.
I haven’t taken it in to the dealership yet because they’ve ****** me around with an issue I had a while back, so now I like to be prepared with some info of what may be causing a problem before I head in there.

I have a 2015 Ram R/T with the 8 speed (72,000 miles) and it shudders from 1st to 2nd and only when cold, usually the first shift out of my driveway. Once it's warm/hot it shifts fine. My tranny fluid & filter have never been replaced. I'm hesitant to change it because so many guys complain of issues starting after their first fluid change.
lucky8926: does yours shudder once warm or only cold??

OP
OP
L

lucky8926

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Mine seems to do it more when it’s warm. The hotter it is the more I notice it.

Mbrigh3

IG: Stormtrooper_5.7
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had 2 transmission replaced in my 14 8spd because of that. Good luck. I traded the lemon in.

Jimmynrichie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2015 Ram R/T with the 8 speed (72,000 miles) and it shudders from 1st to 2nd and only when cold, usually the first shift out of my driveway. Once it's warm/hot it shifts fine. My tranny fluid & filter have never been replaced. I'm hesitant to change it because so many guys complain of issues starting after their first fluid change.
lucky8926: does yours shudder once warm or only cold??
Have you figured out your shift issue? My ram is doing the same thing between 3rd and 4th gear. It does the same as you said and it's only the first drive of the day. I can usually get it to shift by letting the truck coast into 4th and once it's warmed up not issues

OP
OP
L

lucky8926

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Have you figured out your shift issue? My ram is doing the same thing between 3rd and 4th gear. It does the same as you said and it's only the first drive of the day. I can usually get it to shift by letting the truck coast into 4th and once it's warmed up not issues
No I haven’t. It’s still doing it, bit now I think it may be an issue with the rear diff. I’m still not ruling out tranny though. I think I’m going to change the rear diff fluid and see if that makes a difference.