Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Octane

Reaction score
There are 3 type of trans pumps these days.... Variable displacement vane style pumps, and 2 designs of gear-in-gear drive pumps. The 2 gear designed pumps have the ability to dead head and are positive displacement. This means they can self destruct at terminal pressure, so flushing these powerful pumps is NEVER going to strain the poor thing into failure. The Vane style pumps will sound like a cat when it gets air or low pressure. The vane pump is designed to consume less power and have less parasitic loss at lower demands. (cruising slowly through a neighborhood at light throttle, for example)
My bro had a 79 Ply. Volare automatic once,it quit pulling.On the torque converter where the thing notches into place into the tranny broke out and he had to get a used tranny and another converter.I've never saw one do this before or since.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My bro had a 79 Ply. Volare automatic once,it quit pulling.On the torque converter where the thing notches into place into the tranny broke out and he had to get a used tranny and another converter.I've never saw one do this before or since.
I saw that many times back in the day. It was a common thing on Chryslers. The drive hub on the converter was too thin, thus weak by design.

Octane

Reaction score
I saw that many times back in the day. It was a common thing on Chryslers. The drive hub on the converter was too thin, thus weak by design.
We often wondered about why it would do this.We didnt know if something inside the tranny locked up and caused it or not.So a bad designed converter then.We know till it happened the tranny operated just fine.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
We often wondered about why it would do this.We didnt know if something inside the tranny locked up and caused it or not.So a bad designed converter then.We know till it happened the tranny operated just fine.
The problem became more prevalent after the 904's were redesigned for TCC operation. I would replace the lock up pump and converter with older non-lockup design components for their durability. Nowadays, that kind of retrofit isn't possible!

Octane

Reaction score
The problem became more prevalent after the 904's were redesigned for TCC operation. I would replace the lock up pump and converter with older non-lockup design components for their durability. Nowadays, that kind of retrofit isn't possible!
Yes.I had a 904 non lockup in a older AMC with no problems.

Octane

Reaction score
The AMC version was actually a 998 Octane,and had a heavier duty case then the 904.Internally it was a 904 though
I am thinking the v8 trannys were the 998 and the 904 were the 6 cyl. trannys.??Its been a long long time ago!!

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I am thinking the v8 trannys were the 998 and the 904 were the 6 cyl. trannys.??Its been a long long time ago!!
I think you're right,i for some reason was thinking of a 304 or bigger AMC,forgetting all about the mighty 6's ,that they built more of,lol