Trans. cooler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Truck4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Has anyone found a aftermarket auto trans cooler with a built in fan they like? During the summer months we tow offend and heavy, occasionally get into slow, stop/go traffic and have hit up to ~230 - 250 till I can get moving again and then takes a awhile for it to come back down, looking for a add on cooler with a fan that I can have set to kick on automatically or manfully with my CTS2,
Thanks

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
NM stays decently warm year round - I personally would install the by-pass thermal delete block - then observe temps while towing!

If your still not comfortable with the cooler temps - then look into upgrading coolers or adding another in-line cooler.

OP
OP
T

Truck4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks guys, so are you saying to install one, I don't believe my truck has one 2011?

Dennis Shellito

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins IBS
I think they started putting the thermal by-pass on the 2013 and newer. What a POS that the truck didn't even need.

OP
OP
T

Truck4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
NM stays decently warm year round - I personally would install the by-pass thermal delete block - then observe temps while towing!

If your still not comfortable with the cooler temps - then look into upgrading coolers or adding another in-line cooler.

Most parts of the state do on the warm side, however between my families ranch and in-laws ranch in central and northern NM it does get pretty cold ~single digits and into negatives

I don't think upgrading or adding another cooler will help, if I'm not getting the air flow across the coolers, and that is my current issue we get into very slow, stop / go traffic so there is no air flow across / thru the current cooler to help cool

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
Ok - I understand.

Might have to go so far as adding a electrical fan.

Dennis Shellito

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins IBS
Are you sure the fan clutch is engaging? This electrical system is notorious for failure, and it sounds like what my truck was doing when my fan wasn't coming on. I replaced the OEM setup with a Strictly Diesel fan clutch conversion that utilizes an old school mechanical fan clutch.