Trans slipping

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dmillar74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.4
I have a 2016 2500 4x4 Crew 3.73 with the 6.4 Hemi. I've owned many Rams over the years (mostly Diesels). I have just over 2000 miles on it. This truck has been great but I seem to have to wait like 30 seconds to a minute after starting to drive. If I don't, the truck barely moves. If I keep pushing the gas further it eventually engages and the truck pops into gear and lunges forward. Doesn't matter if it is cold or warm outside. In addition, the truck could be hot after driving for a while and then I'll stop for 20-30 minutes, at a store or something, and turn the truck off. When I get get back to the truck and start it up and go, it does the same thing. The truck is still warm though. I'm so used to hopping in a truck, starting it, and driving. Is this just the nature of these newer transmissions? I've had 1995/1998/2004/2012 Cummins Ram trucks and a 1999 v10 Ram and never had any of these trucks do this. Is this the start of a bad transmission or just the nature of the beast?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jhighers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Penstar
I have same issue, feels like the truck shutters. After that it seems fine and everything is kosher, no idea other then to take to dealer.

OP
OP
dmillar74

dmillar74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.4
Is it low on fluid?

Brought it into the dealer when I had less than 1000 miles on it and they did say it was must have been a little low from the factory. They topped it off. Got it back from the dealer, and it is still acting the same. I've noticed this practically when I first got the truck.

stoney

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 | 2500 SLT CC
Engine
6.4L w/ 4:10
When my 2006 was doing that, it ended up being a valve body...was not holding pressure like it was supposed too, fairly easy replacement.

Rick29

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
My 2008 had very similar issues after I changed my Transmission fluid myself I put an aftermarket internal Tranny filter on her. She started with the symptoms put it in gear RPM would rise nothing then bam I was off. Turns out for me at least the diaphragm inside the filter was not strong enough to hold the pressure for the tranny to stay pressurized I guess. Went back in and changed it to a mopar one and ran fine. Yours being new could maybe a bad batch of internal filters?? TransEngineer led me down that right path!

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I have the same truck config as the OP. It's about a month and half old. Just over 1k miles. Mine has done this one time. It had about 600 miles on it at the time. I always allow it to idle down before putting it in gear. It almost seemed to me like it was electronic in nature because of the way it snapped into gear after about a '3-Mississippi'. Similar to a 'neutral drop', only delayed a few seconds. When they are low on fluid they usually slip and then gradually go into gear. Mine was immediate and harsh when it did go in. It was warm. I had just taken my daughter in for an ice cream cone and back out, so maybe 15 minutes. It was backed in a parking spot and pointed slightly downhill. Fluid level is good. Hasn't done it since.

Megazor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Same issue with my 2014. It started out as not wanting to go into reverse for 30 seconds or so; to finally taking minutes to shift into any gear. It also got stuck in gear a couple times driving down the road.

I would recommend taking it in. There were several times the shifter was in park and the truck was behaving as such, but the transmission wasn't and it would shift into a forward gear and jump forward. Sometimes this would happen minutes after putting the truck in park and leaving it running.

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Wow, that's scary.^^^

MN-Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
My truck didn't want to engage a gear when I shifted out of park when the truck was new. It took a couple of seconds for the transmission to decide "oh, it's go time." It doesn't do that now, so I assume it was part of the transmission learning process. I have about 23k on it now without a problem (knock on wood).

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L Ecodiesel
Transmissions should not do that. Not even for a learning process. Take it to your servicing dealer.

gustheram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I wouldn't say 30 seconds to a minute but mine takes a couple seconds before I can shift into gear every time. I almost never notice it because I start the truck, put my belt on and then go but on the off chance I try to shift and go quick, takes a couple seconds before it shifts into gear. I always put it down to some electronic ******** taking a second to shift but who knows, maybe I need to get it looked at.

woody31

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Special Service Vehicle
I cant believe you would even ask on here. As much as those new trucks cost,,that thing would be there till it was fixed RIGHT.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 CC 4x4 Longhorn Offroad
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Mine does the exact same thing, but it is only when I cut the wheel and take off from a stand still right after starting the engine or backing up. I usually just lift my foot off the gas pedal for a second then I'm good. I just thought is was something to do with the stupid computer programing

SlightlyTweaked

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI VVT
Been down this road, 9000 miles and needed new Torque Converter, input shaft, valve body, etc. Still not the same but better than it was

OP
OP
dmillar74

dmillar74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.4
Thanks for all your help! I brought it to the dealer once already and they told me that I was a little low on fluid. Keep in mind I brought it in when I had less than 2000 miles on the truck so I did not think about checking the fluid. I picked up the truck and I immediately noticed that it was still doing it. I didn't have time to leave the truck at the shop as I had to get back to work. Lately I've been just waiting anywhere from 10 to 20 seconds before I take off and that usually is fine. I'm thinking it has something to do with the torque converter. I've had many Dodge trucks over the years and I've never seen this. I see lots of people talking about the same kind of thing though. As many of you said, a new truck should not be doing this.

OP
OP
dmillar74

dmillar74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.4
I received a survey from Chrysler asking about how the truck is working for me. I put, in detail, what's going on with the transmission. About a week later I received a call from customer service. They want to get the truck back in the shop and their going to give me a loaner vehicle. I have another weird situation that happened though. I had pulled up at my work and left the truck running while I ran inside to grab something I forgot. I came back out to the truck and shifted the gear from park into drive and I was barely moving. Look down at the control center and saw that it was in fourth gear. I tried changing the gears on the selector and it wouldn't work. I put it back into park and back down into drive and it's still showing fourth gear. I kept moving the gear selector up-and-down and back to drive and it would still show fourth gear. Finally I turned the truck off and let it sit for about a minute or two. Started it up and it's working fine now. I told customer service about that one as well. Truck goes in Monday.

Megazor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Same thing my truck was doing at 3000 miles. They replaced the shift solenoid and valve body. I'm now at 15000 miles with no further issues.

I now set the parking brake every time I exit the truck if I leave it running.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I received a survey from Chrysler asking about how the truck is working for me. I put, in detail, what's going on with the transmission. About a week later I received a call from customer service. They want to get the truck back in the shop and their going to give me a loaner vehicle. I have another weird situation that happened though. I had pulled up at my work and left the truck running while I ran inside to grab something I forgot. I came back out to the truck and shifted the gear from park into drive and I was barely moving. Look down at the control center and saw that it was in fourth gear. I tried changing the gears on the selector and it wouldn't work. I put it back into park and back down into drive and it's still showing fourth gear. I kept moving the gear selector up-and-down and back to drive and it would still show fourth gear. Finally I turned the truck off and let it sit for about a minute or two. Started it up and it's working fine now. I told customer service about that one as well. Truck goes in Monday.

I'm a bit confused why you haven't taken it to the dealer before. There is obviously something wrong. This is what warranties are for.

OP
OP
dmillar74

dmillar74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.4
I'm a bit confused why you haven't taken it to the dealer before. There is obviously something wrong. This is what warranties are for.

I did. They said it was "low fluid". Immediately felt the same problem but just didn't have time to bring it back. Been super busy where I just couldn't get back to the dealer yet.