2018 3500 cummings trans dont shift after valve b and transpak replacement still...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lowrida1228

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummings
Ok the truck has to be manually shifted or set t o 3rd gear for the truck to get good speed. it doesn't shift on its own. Now i did the obvious for this issue. replaced the shift pack. reassembled and it still does the same thing. so i replaced the valve body and reassembled. new fluid filter the whole shabang. still same issue. now the truck will get up to 50 plus mph. so i assumed that the plates are good. if they were bad i sihould get slipping.
i do have the red lightning bolt on the dash.
My main question is when that shift pack is replaced. do it need to be programmed? cause i cant really see no other option right now. i have another trans sitting waiting just in case but its out of an older truck and the plug in is different. expected because of the age gap.
Do I need to program this transmission for it to shift being as though its mainly electronic? Thanks in advance for all help on this problem.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Is this what they mean by artificial intelligence?

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I do believe It does need to be programmed. Only way to be sure is to check with dealer.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Did you do a trans learn after you replaced that? If not you may have done damage already by driving it. Also you need to scan the truck and see what the actual codes are. Sounds like you are blindly throwing parts at it without know exactly what the faults are.

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
No programming is needed. Your truck should shift like normal after install but you should do a trans relearn procedure after installing the solenoid pack and valvebody. Its because the cvi values in the trans need to be reset by a scan tool if not you could potentially damage the the clutch packs. I have replaced the valvebody and solenoid packs in two of my trucks and both times I had to drive it to have the relearn procedure done. Both times it shifted as normal right after but didnt want to risk damage. I am assumimg you have the 68rfe trans?