Transforce Tire Recall

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lpennock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L & 6.7L Cummins
Just saw this pop up on the NHTSA recall listing. For those of you running Transforce tires there is a recall.

NHTSA Recall ID Number :​
22T002
Synopsis :​
Bridgestone Americas Tire Operations (Bridgestone) is recalling certain Firestone Transforce HT, size LT275/70R18 with DOT code VN15TH71821and Transforce AT, size LT275/70R18 with DOT code VN15TR91821. The tires were manufactured with an incorrect inner liner compound, which could cause increased inner liner permeability or cracking, resulting in belt separation. Belt separation could lead to loss of vehicle control, increasing the risk of a crash. Bridgestone will notify owners and replace the affected tires with a comparable Bridgestone or Firestone brand tire, free of charge. Owner notification letters are expected to be mailed April 1, 2022. Owners may contact Bridgestone customer service at 1-800-847-3272.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Thanks for posting that. I have to check my AT tires.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Any idea what year tires are affected? I think they changed the dot code a few years ago and now it's harder to tell

Irishthreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I just looked it up, 2 sources stated the tires were manufactured between May 2-May 8, 2021.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Just saw this pop up on the NHTSA recall listing. For those of you running Transforce tires there is a recall.

NHTSA Recall ID Number :​
22T002
Synopsis :​
Bridgestone Americas Tire Operations (Bridgestone) is recalling certain Firestone Transforce HT, size LT275/70R18 with DOT code VN15TH71821and Transforce AT, size LT275/70R18 with DOT code VN15TR91821. The tires were manufactured with an incorrect inner liner compound, which could cause increased inner liner permeability or cracking, resulting in belt separation. Belt separation could lead to loss of vehicle control, increasing the risk of a crash. Bridgestone will notify owners and replace the affected tires with a comparable Bridgestone or Firestone brand tire, free of charge. Owner notification letters are expected to be mailed April 1, 2022. Owners may contact Bridgestone customer service at 1-800-847-3272.
Thank you very much for posting this. checked the Transforce AT tires that came on my 2021 2500 and they are the exact ones mentioned in this recall. You may have saved me from a bad accident as a lot of the U.S. recalls never show up, here in Canada. Be very interested to see if I get a letter from Firestone, but the tires are already off the truck and I will definitely be calling them if I have not heard anything by April 20th.

Hated the tire anyhow so no loss. Will be interesting to see what the replacement options are.

Firestone Transforce Recall.jpg

Last edited:

BLUKTY2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
All that I have to add is that these tires came stock on my 2017 3500. The first thing I did was get rid of them at around 400 miles. Sorry, and I don't mean to offend anybody, but my history with Firestone is not a good one.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
All that I have to add is that these tires came stock on my 2017 3500. The first thing I did was get rid of them at around 400 miles. Sorry, and I don't mean to offend anybody, but my history with Firestone is not a good one.
When I first saw "reacall" and "Transforce" I figured it was due to them wearing out at 20K miles :) Yep. worst tires I have ever owned and it's not even close. Worn to the tread bars at 23K miles with no towing or other excess use. I was never a fan of Firestone before this and am definitely not one now.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Thank you very much for posting this. checked the Transforce AT tires that came on my 2021 2500 and they are the exact ones mentioned in this recall. You may have saved me from a bad accident as a lot of the U.S. recalls never show up, here in Canada. Be very interested to see if I get a letter from Firestone, but the tires are already off the truck and I will definitely be calling them if I have not heard anything by April 20th.

Hated the tire anyhow so no loss. Will be interesting to see what the replacement options are.

View attachment 485382
Just got my letter in the mail from Bridgestone. From what it says it appears you can pick pretty much any Firestone of Bridgestone in the same size. Also said, if I have already replaced the tires, which I have with Duratracs, I may be entitled to recover the cost of the tires, mounting and balancing, up to the cost of the Firestone replacment. Will be interesting to see what they say when I take the old skins in. All- don't forget to have them swap out the full size spare tire as well.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
It's my lifelong experience the car companies put the cheapest tires they can get the vehicle out the door with. The insult to this injury is that they go on their marketing sights stating the opposite - that the tires were chosen for the best performance characteristics of the vehicle. B.S. I've seen this over and over and over and over.

Back in '91 my Dodge Ram came with - wait for it - Firestone Steeltex (same thing as Transforce - they re-named it trying to hide the bad reputation).

It's one thing when the manufacturer treats you like dirt, it's quite another when the lie to you about it. Repeatedly.

quickster2

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Laramie 2500 4 X 4
Engine
6.4L
Price is just 1 of the about a dozen criteria that OEM's make the decision on with regard for tires. Having said that, as soon as I bought my truck (it was my free FCA Company vehicle prior) I ripped the Firestones off and put on Michelin Defender's and never looked back at around 22K miles. I won't run Firestones going back to their debacle with belts separating on the 721's when I was in the Army. I had another Firestone model same/similar failure issue years later. They never stood behind either of the failures. Don't even need to remind everyone about the Firestone factory in Decatur, Illinois fiasco.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Price is just 1 of the about a dozen criteria that OEM's make the decision on with regard for tires. Having said that, as soon as I bought my truck (it was my free FCA Company vehicle prior) I ripped the Firestones off and put on Michelin Defender's and never looked back at around 22K miles. I won't run Firestones going back to their debacle with belts separating on the 721's when I was in the Army. I had another Firestone model same/similar failure issue years later. They never stood behind either of the failures. Don't even need to remind everyone about the Firestone factory in Decatur, Illinois fiasco.

Well, it sure as heck ain't performance. Didn't Firestone also have issues with the predecessor 500 tires?

mcv1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 HO Cummins
I recognize it is a 6 month dated thread. But thought I'd add some info to help others.
I have the same tire and size subject to the recall, but NOT the dates.
Transforce ATs were the "upgraded snowplow package" OEM tires for my RAM. I've never used them as such; it has solely been a highway vehicle. However, these tires have worn very irregularly, despite 3 times to the dealer and FIRESTONE shops to confirm the factory alignment is and has always been perfect. Tires always properly inflated. Frequent rotations, usually at 5K, but once at 7k miles. The sidewalls have a visible "cut" or seam all the way around the circumference of the tires. One tire the outer layer has peeled back, revealing the white material all the way around the tire. Looks like crap.
I recognize there was a recall on certain dates for this exact tire due to poor wear and buggered compounds. But Firestone says these don't qualify for replacement, even though one of the sidewalls has disintegrated to the point where the manufacturing code is illegible.
Although they are factory tires, there are tires with mismatched date codes 0620, with 0720, and one that is illegible. Interestingly (and suspiciously) the tires that have the most severe failing sidewalls also have rapid tread loss on the side of the tire above the whitewall. Sure seems correlated to me...

A local tire shop says they are unsafe to drive, but the nearest Firestone dealer (100 miles away) says it is just a cosmetic issue; that sidewalls peeling is common with Firestone "mold defects".
Firestone Warranty says to take it to a Firestone store. The Firestone store says they don't do anything for OEM tires, and I should instead call Corporate Firestone Customer Service. Customer Service says to contact Warranty. They are driving me crazy.

Crap tire, and lack of sympathy or response so far! It is a shame to have to drive on a tire that I fear is unsafe, especially on a new truck. I look forward to having enough money to replace the set with something that I am comfortable the sidewalls won't disintegrate.

Attachments

• even the best tire has a ridge or seam, and the raised white letters are floppy and peeling off .jpg
    even the best tire has a ridge or seam, and the raised white letters are floppy and peeling off .jpg
    271.1 KB · Views: 3
  • called a seam or mold defect around tires.jpg
    called a seam or mold defect around tires.jpg
    218.4 KB · Views: 3
  • further sidewall degradation after driving back from Grand Junction.jpg
    further sidewall degradation after driving back from Grand Junction.jpg
    226.1 KB · Views: 3
  • seam or crack all around circumference .jpg
    seam or crack all around circumference .jpg
    218.2 KB · Views: 3
  • soft spot .jpg
    soft spot .jpg
    208.5 KB · Views: 3
  • uneven wear, appearing to show different compound on tread .jpg
    uneven wear, appearing to show different compound on tread .jpg
    230.7 KB · Views: 3
  • what appears to be a cut around entire circumference of tires.jpg
    what appears to be a cut around entire circumference of tires.jpg
    310.5 KB · Views: 3

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
That really sucks. I would go to my dealer and make them deal with it under warranty. They have way more stroke with Firestone than you do. I can tell you, I wasnt a big fan of Firestone to start with, after owning a set I will never buy another. They were a pain in the butt to deal with, even on the recalled tires. Took a ton of followup to finally get paid.

BLUKTY2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I have stated this on this forum before but I will state it again anyway; my experience with Firestone is not good. I cannot believe that they are still in business. I came really close to loosing everything that is so dear to me: my wife, dog, and let's not forget ME! I will spare all of you the graphic details but- Firestone tires are pieces of ****. Just sayin' and YMMV

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I have stated this on this forum before but I will state it again anyway; my experience with Firestone is not good. I cannot believe that they are still in business. I came really close to loosing everything that is so dear to me: my wife, dog, and let's not forget ME! I will spare all of you the graphic details but- Firestone tires are pieces of ****. Just sayin' and YMMV
Sorry to hear that! But please provide some details to help the rest of us out. Were they part of the recall? Which exact tire was it (size/rating)? How many miles? Thanks.

I had bad experiences with Firestone early on in my vehicle owning years. So I've not been a big fan of their products or the way they do business for a very long time.

BLUKTY2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Sorry to hear that! But please provide some details to help the rest of us out. Were they part of the recall? Which exact tire was it (size/rating)? How many miles? Thanks.

I had bad experiences with Firestone early on in my vehicle owning years. So I've not been a big fan of their products or the way they do business for a very long time.
This was 22 years ago now so I cannot provide an answer to your questions. I do know that there was no recall on them, were E rated and they had plenty of tread left. Tread separation.