Transmission debacle-2018

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Might be a stupid question, but which tranny is in the '18 6.4? I have way too many things to keep track of to remember which model is in what year.

As a rule, I always get mine flushed. Especially since the machines can reverse flush now.

We plow and tow, I want the fluid and tranny and cooler flushed. Filter replaced.
I think I read that mopar does not want the fluid in these units changed until 90,000 miles

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
he probly beat the hell out of the truck. tcase fluid black. trans blows up. all in 20k mi. doesnt take colonel mustard to figure this out

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Changing fluid should not cause any problems. Especially changing it early. Unless it was over or under filled this isn't the issue. Mine has already been changed twice due to pan and valve body failures and I have less than 10,000 miles on it.

Punishher7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Changing fluid should not cause any problems. Especially changing it early. Unless it was over or under filled this isn't the issue. Mine has already been changed twice due to pan and valve body failures and I have less than 10,000 miles on it.

We’re talking about the 6sp in the 2500 gasser here. Completely different animal than the ZF in the 1500. With that said I am not a believer in transmission flushes. I was an idiot and had my “bulletproof” Allison flushed years ago and didn’t make it 1000 miles before she went into limp mode...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
We’re talking about the 6sp in the 2500 gasser here. Completely different animal than the ZF in the 1500. With that said I am not a believer in transmission flushes. I was an idiot and had my “bulletproof” Allison flushed years ago and didn’t make it 1000 miles before she went into limp mode...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sometimes flushing will push around sludge and cause issues if it hasn't been done in a long time. There are low pressure flush methods that don't do that, but still essentially change all the fluid.

OP
OP
pwjouster

pwjouster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
it was not a flush with any contraption.
it was a drain and refill... woop de doo
its an issue to do preventative maintenance now right?

i should be allowed to press the gas pedal as hard as i want, no? Is that going to blow an untuned engine/trans? Never. Thats the whole point of the super conservative factory tuning. Nothing you do to the gas pedal or brake pedals individually should cause any issues in 25k miles. Specifically on an HD and its nearly the same trans as a diesel. Shouldnt even be possible for a gasser to do it harm.

Not in my Hellcat, Wranglers, BMWs, OR Audis no matter what transmission. Im a Driver at heart..and i drive my machines, no doubt about it.

i do not abuse this truck in any sense of the word. I use it, respect it, and built it to do what i do. Super **** on maintenance and thats never bit me in the ass.

OP
OP
pwjouster

pwjouster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
and as it relates to the toys on the truck and my abuse of it? Youd call me a P***Y.

This is purely a failure of a component.

This truck is a poster Powerwagon and it gets credit everywhere it goes.
It behooves Ram to not take a month here and get it back on the road for more R&D.

i swear, id see maybe 1 or 2 powerwagons a year in south florida....ever since my build started, seems like all my neighbors hopped on the PW bandwagon.

JD Mark

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 2016, 2016
Engine
6.7, 6.4, 6.7, 5.9 in a F750
I think I read that mopar does not want the fluid in these units changed until 90,000 miles

Yeah, well they aren't the ones that are out pushing snow at 3 AM depending on that transmission. And have customers depending on me. And employees depending on me giving them quality vehicles. And they already got my money when I bought it and will get it again if it goes out after warranty.

So basically, I could give 2 poops what they say.

I don't believe in extended life coolant either.

I don't believe spark plugs can make it 100,000 miles either.

I need these trucks for work, and for my reputation as a business owner\service provider.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
and as it relates to the toys on the truck and my abuse of it? Youd call me a P***Y.

This is purely a failure of a component.

This truck is a poster Powerwagon and it gets credit everywhere it goes.
It behooves Ram to not take a month here and get it back on the road for more R&D.

i swear, id see maybe 1 or 2 powerwagons a year in south florida....ever since my build started, seems like all my neighbors hopped on the PW bandwagon.

Did your truck fall under that tranny recall (think it was a sensor or something), and if so did you have it taken care of?

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah, well they aren't the ones that are out pushing snow at 3 AM depending on that transmission. And have customers depending on me. And employees depending on me giving them quality vehicles. And they already got my money when I bought it and will get it again if it goes out after warranty.

So basically, I could give 2 poops what they say.

I don't believe in extended life coolant either.

I don't believe spark plugs can make it 100,000 miles either.

I need these trucks for work, and for my reputation as a business owner\service provider.
When you are a snow removal company you must tell them that when you make your purchase or nothing is covered.

JD Mark

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 2016, 2016
Engine
6.7, 6.4, 6.7, 5.9 in a F750
When you are a snow removal company you must tell them that when you make your purchase or nothing is covered.

Wrong.

Heck, my '14 doesn't even have a plow prep package, I had to buy it in California after mine burnt outside of Vegas. They cover what breaks. And have.

Although this is part of the reason I didn't replace it with another Furd...lack of dealer support.

OP
OP
pwjouster

pwjouster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Did your truck fall under that tranny recall (think it was a sensor or something), and if so did you have it taken care of?

It did not call for any recalls on servicing the trans.

The only trans related recall was a TCM software update a couple months after i purchased the truck.
I was diligent on all recalls, as i believe if you have problems after a recall was called and you did not take care of it, its your issue.

some comments here are atrocious.

a 2018 with 25k miles and proactive maintenance with a failing trans is an issue of NO ones but FCA.
im betting that bypass temp valve failed and starved oil.

Dr. Righteous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Makes me feel kinda bad for the troubles some guys have with their RAM trucks.
I've never had a minutes trouble from my other than just doing maintenance. (wheel bearing hubs was a PITA but that is pretty typical).
Just paid this sucker off last month and it has 96k miles. It is going to have to last a good long while.
Next on the list is tranny oil and filters and 16 new spark plugs.

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Wrong.

Heck, my '14 doesn't even have a plow prep package, I had to buy it in California after mine burnt outside of Vegas. They cover what breaks. And have.

Although this is part of the reason I didn't replace it with another Furd...lack of dealer support.
Funny I aim wrong watched a whole half hour show on a guy who was buying a Ram for snow removal. So I guess the whole show is wrong and I didn't watch it . Maybe you just don't let them know what you do .But as the show was about Dodge had to be informed that their truck would be used in snow removal or nothing was covered by the dealer he made the purchase from ,Don,t know how big your company is but this guy had like 5 trucks doing his company,s snow removal

Al Handy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
this thread scares the **** out of me! At 2000+/- miles I installed a Mag-Hytec pan for more fluid and cooler running of the transmission, since I basically use the PW for towing my summer home, which is under the GVW of the truck. At the same time I changed the filters. If I have transmission troubles (god forbid) will this "modification" cause me heart ache......it shouldn't but I can see it happening, especially since I have the extended coverage.

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
this thread scares the **** out of me! At 2000+/- miles I installed a Mag-Hytec pan for more fluid and cooler running of the transmission, since I basically use the PW for towing my summer home, which is under the GVW of the truck. At the same time I changed the filters. If I have transmission troubles (god forbid) will this "modification" cause me heart ache......it shouldn't but I can see it happening, especially since I have the extended coverage.
It could. Depends on dealer. Honestly i’d run the normal cover. If I had extended warranties I’d keep everything as close as possible to stock “minus suspension” and run with it.

sac neal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2l
25k miles on the truck.

said it from the get-go...Transmission tuning is crap, shift logic is crap, lugging is crap, downshifts are crap.

Trans is out for the count.

Had it flushed around 20k miles. At 25k miles now.

The other day it had a hard downshift, almost felt like i got rear ended...
Then the next morning, truck had a harder downshift...this time i had that pit in stomach feeling of being hit, it was so harsh.

The next couple of days, it drove fine, trans temps never above 180 and everything was ok except some hard shifts here and there but not as bad as had happened the prior days.

Then woke up one morning and it sounded like trash, and almost sounded like something was being tossed around the trans pan, but only when in drive and foot on brake. Not in park or neutral.
Then drove it to dodge, had the tech test drive it for 30 minutes.
each and every shift got worse, and upon arriving back at the service isle...temp was 230 DEGREES.What?

I will update everyone shortly. This is trash. I was literally looking at the ATS bypass block a few weeks back. If this is what caused the failure, i wonder if the trans flush set it off? That would be against most logic but you never know.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

I have done a fair bit of towing with my power wagon. Never had a hint of issue with high trans temps in stock form. Seems like when I am really working it in hot weather, going up steep grades towing heavy at high rpm the trans is still hanging in the high 160’s to low 170’s.

sac neal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2l
complaining about the dodge transmission, do like i did spend the money buy you a new Allison 1,000 put it in problem solved and NEVER FLUSH A TRANSMISSION