Transmission debacle-2018

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It was indeed covered under warranty.

Last night, i started the truck up to see what it would do.
Drove fine for 5 minutes around the neighborhood, so i parked it.

thought i would drive it to work ~3 miles~ and 1.5 miles in i came up to a stop light, and Check engine light came on this time.
Limp mode in 4th gear rest of the way to work. I requested the dealer send a flatbed to protect my investment, but they stated limp mode to the dealer is acceptable.
So back it goes in a few hours.

So, they pulled the tranny, tore it apart, put it back together with new parts, installed it, and then never took it for a test drive to even see if it worked? Wtf.

OP
OP
pwjouster

pwjouster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
tech actually did take it for a test drive, and stated he drove it how he thought i would drive it...
my tech and the trans tech himself cleared the vehicle...no knowing why it decided to go out again.
they may have only done a 5 minute test, and it may be an issue that happens once its up to operating temp.

on the other hand, the Pacifica is very comfortable.

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
Wow. An even trade...

a few years back the my Raptor went in for warranty and they tried to put me in a Ford Focus...yeah no thanks.
Follow up with Ram Cares. They just replaced my steering wheel that has some pealing issues (it is not leather by the way ) And they hooked 56PW17 up with a bunch up no covered items when he had some covered items being replaced.
See if they can bolt in the new 8 speed. It is one of my favorite things about my PW.

OP
OP
pwjouster

pwjouster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
i wish! they would never do something like that, as it would require a total tuning on the new TCM which a warrantied truck would never get from the factory 1 off.

They put me in a 2018 1500 v6 at first and honestly...it was a piece of crap. The window switch module popped out when i used 2 fingers to roll up both front windows. It had 170 miles on it...brand new. Had a check engine light for a day, and the v6 is not right in it. The sound system was horrific.

So... i asked for another vehicle and this was the only option. So i said why not, comfort and MPG benefits...plus remote start and stow and go seating so i can play games or nap lol
it drives very nice, but the torque steer is always a bummer but the 3.6 is more suited in this minivan. Granite Chrystal and black S line appearance...kinda stealth looking.

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
We have the 66RFE it's almost exactly like the diesel version the 68RFE inside. Then the 2019s got the 8 speed ZF which is also what they use in the hellcat and I won't lie its awesome. Ask me how I know lol.

i raged on my hellcat daily and the trans held on like it was strapped with a titanium 5 point harness.

ZFs are typically in a different league.

y’all been married long? At 15 years I still don’t get to have (2) 60k plus vehicles.
I’m trying to Upgrade her Durango with the new Durango with that hellcat engine. (Not going so well)

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
It was indeed covered under warranty.

Last night, i started the truck up to see what it would do.
Drove fine for 5 minutes around the neighborhood, so i parked it.

thought i would drive it to work ~3 miles~ and 1.5 miles in i came up to a stop light, and Check engine light came on this time.
Limp mode in 4th gear rest of the way to work. I requested the dealer send a flatbed to protect my investment, but they stated limp mode to the dealer is acceptable.
So back it goes in a few hours.

Hi pwjouster,
We are sorry to hear about your ongoing concern. If additional assistance is needed, please reach out to us privately.
Laura
Ram Cares

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
Do it! Ram Cares is awesome. They have taken care of a few PW owners here on the forum in the last 2 months. Including me. (Just a steering wheel, but hey)

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
OP are you still driving around in the Uber XL and making side cash or do you have your truck back?

OP
OP
pwjouster

pwjouster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
OP are you still driving around in the Uber XL and making side cash or do you have your truck back?

truck is in the shop still, i assume i will have it back next week.
ill update the thread once they come back with a determined cause. Again, they mentioned Valve body related but didnt say if this was new or existing condition.

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
truck is in the shop still, i assume i will have it back next week.
ill update the thread once they come back with a determined cause. Again, they mentioned Valve body related but didnt say if this was new or existing condition.
Wow. I thought this was an 8 book hour job?! Guess not. At least your getting good gpms in the mini van;)

Odin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 2500
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Was gonna post a separate thread, but saw you were having issues with your trans.

I've seen so many positives about the ZF trans in the 2019s. Wonder if it would be a super huge pain in the ass to do a trans swap to it? Only reason I'm bringing it up is cause I like the idea of the 8 speed (so many positives) but I don't wanna lose my colum shift or transfer case. Prefer both of those, I'm old school like that.

Any thoughts?? Worth it or nah?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I've seen so many positives about the ZF trans in the 2019s. Wonder if it would be a super huge pain in the ass to do a trans swap to it? Only reason I'm bringing it up is cause I like the idea of the 8 speed (so many positives) but I don't wanna lose my colum shift or transfer case. Prefer both of those, I'm old school like that.
The 6apd you have in your truck now is a mechanically shifted transmission, the ZF 8 spds are "Shift by Wire". Unless someone R&D's a way for a column or console shifter to change the gears electronically, then it's the gift knob.
I don't get why so many are hung up on having a column shift, quit playing with the dam shifter and drive. The gear ratio spread alone in the 6 spd is reason enough to let that dinosaur fade into extinction with it's column shifter.

Odin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 2500
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
The 6apd you have in your truck now is a mechanically shifted transmission, the ZF 8 spds are "Shift by Wire". Unless someone R&D's a way for a column or console shifter to change the gears electronically, then it's the gift knob.
I don't get why so many are hung up on having a column shift, quit playing with the dam shifter and drive. The gear ratio spread alone in the 6 spd is reason enough to let that dinosaur fade into extinction with it's column shifter.
There's a few reasons why I prefer the colum shift to a shift knob. Probably the biggest part though has to do with all the training for my job in using a colum shift for tactical/defensive driving which I have needed to use in my personal life, I don't think I could replicate with the shift knob. Hundreds of hours of muscle memory one way and to go to learn another completely different way requires more extensive additional hours to learn a new skill set. You can't do something one time and be expected to duplicate it in a high stress situation the next. Doesn't work that way. Flipping a colum shifter doesn't take fine motor skills like turning a shift knob does either.

Plus, like I said, I'm old school like that. Growing up on the rodeo circuit, all trucks back then had column shifters and its what I'm used to.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
pwjouster

pwjouster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
im not the one with the answer, but it would be interesting to know if someone is already thinking about this.
a ZF would be a world of difference.

still no truck..or any answers.

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
I would think that you can have the current trans rebuilt with after market parts to make the tranny do what you want it to do?!
My only experience is with my 66 mustang and that set me back 1200.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would think that you can have the current trans rebuilt with after market parts to make the tranny do what you want it to do?!
My only experience is with my 66 mustang and that set me back 1200.

yea, things have changed a wee bit since then lol.

JD Mark

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 2016, 2016
Engine
6.7, 6.4, 6.7, 5.9 in a F750
I don't want more gears, I want fewer gears.

More shifting creates heat.

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine

There it always the manual option. I would skip shift when possible and for @olyelr the PW tans had a column shift for the 50’s called “3 speed on the tree” I learned how to drive one when I was 15.

Last edited:

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

There is no issue at all with the 8 speed producing heat. Actually, the fact that there is a much better “range” of gearing with it, it will most likely do LESS shifting than the 6 speed will. The 6 speed gearing is so spread out and screwed up... there are times when I am towing that 2nd gear seems too low but 3rd gear is too high. Sure wish there was another one between there.

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
There is no issue at all with the 8 speed producing heat. Actually, the fact that there is a much better “range” of gearing with it, it will most likely do LESS shifting than the 6 speed will. The 6 speed gearing is so spread out and screwed up... there are times when I am towing that 2nd gear seems too low but 3rd gear is too high. Sure wish there was another one between there.
Very true! One reason the salesman couldn’t sell me the 2018 PW for 10k cheaper is the tranny. The big 60” screen that is built into the dash was one of the other 4 reasons...