transmission fluid change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hornet

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My mechanic sent me to a transmission shop to see a valve body full of dirt and crud all because of a flush with the machine was done.I listened right away.

Ah so this is your tranny guys reconmendation,and isn't from Chrysler.
Think i'll stick with a tranny flush,i know my tranny guy.
If it was a Chryco reconmendation not to flush,i'd listen a little more.
There's way to much dirty fluid left in the convertor with just a oil change imo

alexis

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 1500 Laramie 4x4
Engine
5.7 hemi
My mechanic worked at a Chrysler dealership,got out in 2010 to run his own shop.Includes this transmission repair shop owner,worked in a Chrysler dealership too.Told me that bill after showing me the valve body full of dirt and crud.Plugged up filters cause performance and shifting problems too.

retiredfireman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
How many quarts did it take to fill it back up? I thought it was a lot. They have a lot of kits to add a plug to your pan too, maybe a cheaper way to go. Custom pans cost serious doughramey.

9 quarts for my operation.

The filters show different ones for 2WD/4WD but the one that was in my 2WD looks like the 4WD one in the pics that come with the filter- unsure why that is

dooramit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
There is a way to do a more thorough trans flush yourself...you'll need a helper for a couple minutes and that's it. And you can do this on just about any automatic that has a trans oil cooler.

My method:

1. Get the trans up to operating temp. Hot fluid does suck but it drains better.

2. Drop the pan, clean the silicone off both surfaces, wipe pan out, clean magnet off.

3. Change both filters, put the pan back on, add new fluid.

4. Unhook the cooler return line on the side of the transmission and stick a hose on the end of the line and run the hose to a 5 gal. pail.

5. I crawl under the truck and hold the hose with one hand and hold my thumb over the return line hole on the trans (so it doesn't suck air).

***If you do not cover/plug the hole it'll suck air and won't pump hardly anything into the pail***

6. I have my helper start the truck and let idle in park until the fluid just starts to sputter & holler to shut off the truck (this could take anywhere from 30 seconds to a minute or longer). If you've gotten at least 2 gallons in the pail skip to step #8.

7. Refill trans with new fluid again, and repeat #6 until you get at least 2 gallons in the pail.

8. Refill trans with new fluid again, and repeat #6, but this time have helper shift to Reverse for 5 seconds, Neutral for 5 seconds, and Drive for 5 seconds, then back to Park for 5 seconds, then shut off the truck.

8. Reconnect cooler return line, fill trans back up to proper fluid level, get up to operating temp, go through all your gears, and check for leaks.

I believe this method is the best way to do a system flush without using a dirty machine, and by changing the pan fluid and filters first you are not risking pumping any debris into the valve body or torque converter.

Take my truck for instance: a 68RFE trans holds roughly 17-18 qts total capacity. If you just do a pan drop & refill you are only replacing roughly 7 qts. That's not even half your fluid!!! Doing the method above will pump new fluid into the torque converter and pump the old fluid into the pail (min. 2.5 gallons) and ended up using 20 qts. So I wasted a couple brand new quarts but at least I did the job right :)

I've done this to my previous '05 Hemi 545RFE and it's the exact same. And the new TorqueFlite has a trans oil cooler so this method would work also. You just need to know which line is your return line. If you unhook the wrong line you'll be covered in red fluid.

If you're only dropping the pan at 50,000 miles & replacing the filters and half your fluid you really are just wasting money IMO.

Hornet

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Good post Door
That's the way i do my tranny flushes too,a big clean bucket and a couple extra litres of oil.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
Whats the part numbers for the fliters and what type of trans oil?

david potts

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
The proper way is to do a tranny flush then a filter change,will cost a lot more then 80 bucks to do it right.
An oil change on a tranny doesn't change the fluid in the convertor,so you're still circulating dirty oil through your clean filter and transmission after your oil change.
An oil change is better then nothing ,but not really the best way to do it.

Burla you're our resident oil expert,any reconmendations on tranny oils

NEGATIVE. If you have more than 50k miles on it and its never been flushed, Dont do the power flush. Simply drain and refill se4veral times over the next 50K or so. A power flush of a transmission that is well used can have unintended consequences and almost comes under the heading of "if it aint broke, dont fix it".