Brake Fluid Change Not Required?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
It's your fault now that I'm $12.78 short to my savings.
Damn it , now I maybe in the same boat, Have to check Canada pricing.
mine always sit in dry garage, fluid looks good yet, but getting to 80km Wife's 2008 is at the same mileage and brake peddle will settle a little if you hold pressure on it.
Last oil change , service tec said it's fine, But I think it's time.
I use to have a power bleeder for the old grain trucks, but I don't crawl under stuff anymore, if I can help it.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Damn it , now I maybe in the same boat, Have to check Canada pricing.
mine always sit in dry garage, fluid looks good yet, but getting to 80km Wife's 2008 is at the same mileage and brake peddle will settle a little if you hold pressure on it.
Last oil change , service tec said it's fine, But I think it's time.
I use to have a power bleeder for the old grain trucks, but I don't crawl under stuff anymore, if I can help it.

I received mine the other day. I'm going to try this afternoon. I might sacrifice some new fluid and purposely add the percentages of water to check accuracy of it. As long as the accuracy is "Close Enough" I'm fine with it because detecting any amount will result in a flush.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
If you see wacky reading on it , Try testing some new sealed fluid if you had some.
I have a sealed can, but it is not the current new stuff that I think is in my '14 .
I am nor sure with out checking what the 2008 Honda calls for.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
If you see wacky reading on it , Try testing some new sealed fluid if you had some.
I have a sealed can, but it is not the current new stuff that I think is in my '14 .
I am nor sure with out checking what the 2008 Honda calls for.
That's the plan. To Get a baseline.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
So far with the tester here's what I've done. I tested a sample from a 32oz container of DOT3 that only had about 4 Oz left. It has been on the shelf from when I did a brake line repair back around March. It was slightly discolored yellow. So I tested it and it said 2%.
So then I tested a Toyota that I bought last year. It had new lines installed about 2 years before I bought it and the fluid looked dark grey to brown in color. It tested at first 3%. I tested again being sure the probes were fully submerged and it went to 4% everytime there after.
Next vehicle, my 1987 rock crawling Suzuki Samurai that I haven't driven in atleast 5 years. It just sits. Fluid was dark amber. Upon testing the reading was pegged right to 4% everytime.
So the big challenge, brand new sealed container from Napa Dot4. I broke the seal and poured an Oz into a clean container and dipped the probes fully. GREEN 0% everytime.
Final test, I sucked the old fluid from the Toyota resevoir and refilled with the new fluid. Tests 0%.

I'm convinced enough it is detecting a degree of contamination and could be used as a guide. But like I've done over the decades of working on equip./vehicles the color is an indicator too.
I haven't had time yet to mix water in a percentage ratio with the new fluid to check accuracy but really it isn't about the exact number, it's about indication of any moisture present then it's worth considering a flush.

RJR49

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I never even thought about changing fluids until the brake master of my MG. Rusted up, then the limited slip on my 1992 Tahoe stopped limited slipping. Then there was the time my father's 1965 Plymouth Fury station wagon stopped shifting. So, I change oil every 5k, and everything else every 25k

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
So far with the tester here's what I've done. I tested a sample from a 32oz container of DOT3 that only had about 4 Oz left. It has been on the shelf from when I did a brake line repair back around March. It was slightly discolored yellow. So I tested it and it said 2%.
So then I tested a Toyota that I bought last year. It had new lines installed about 2 years before I bought it and the fluid looked dark grey to brown in color. It tested at first 3%. I tested again being sure the probes were fully submerged and it went to 4% everytime there after.
Next vehicle, my 1987 rock crawling Suzuki Samurai that I haven't driven in atleast 5 years. It just sits. Fluid was dark amber. Upon testing the reading was pegged right to 4% everytime.
So the big challenge, brand new sealed container from Napa Dot4. I broke the seal and poured an Oz into a clean container and dipped the probes fully. GREEN 0% everytime.
Final test, I sucked the old fluid from the Toyota resevoir and refilled with the new fluid. Tests 0%.

I'm convinced enough it is detecting a degree of contamination and could be used as a guide. But like I've done over the decades of working on equip./vehicles the color is an indicator too.
I haven't had time yet to mix water in a percentage ratio with the new fluid to check accuracy but really it isn't about the exact number, it's about indication of any moisture present then it's worth considering a flush.
Just a heads up,i've had one of the little fluid checkers for awhile,and i got in the habit of removing the battery after i used it.Mine uses a little AAA battery,and it seems to kill the battery fairly fast even if you're not using it.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Just a heads up,i've had one of the little fluid checkers for awhile,and i got in the habit of removing the battery after i used it.Mine uses a little AAA battery,and it seems to kill the battery fairly fast even if you're not using it.
I'll keep that in mind. It didn't come with a battery, maybe that's why! IIRC this one is a AA.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I'll keep that in mind. It didn't come with a battery, maybe that's why! IIRC this one is a AA.
The bigger battery might last longer,but i got bit in the rear by mine the first couple of times i used it. I'd use it,and the next time i'd go to use it,even with-in a week,and the battery would be dead,then i got in the habit pf pulling the battery on it

Shawn Burns

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Rebel
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I do it every year as part of my pre-towing season ritual. But, I am notorious for excessive maintenance. The jury is out if my problem is wasteful or not.