Transmission fluid questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Huckleberry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi five seven
Hello all,

I'm looking at changing the fluid in my ram here in a day or so. My situation is this, I have a case of Lucas ATF in my garage. It's says it is direct replacement for ATF+4. My question is, can I use this and just go buy the filter or should I just go get all valvoline atf+4? Any help would be appreciated!

rowdyram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
lukas would be ok i think

Sparkyy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6
Welcome to RF, Huckleberry!

When I did the tranny fluid replacement in my 07, I used about 8 quarts of Valvoline fluid.

One thing when doing it, if you don't know, block the tires so you can put it in neutral and then check the fluid. Otherwise it will appear to be over the fill line when in reality, it might need more.

Lucas might work for it but I would search around just to make sure that it is OK for ATF+4, I used Valvoline for mine.

OP
OP
Huckleberry

Huckleberry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi five seven
I have talked to a rep at lucas and he did say it is good to go for atf+4 and he did email me a PDF file for the ATF with a complete list of the compatible tranny fluids. It just worries me that the Lucas bottle says semi-synthetic and the ATF +4 is a full synthetic. Has anyone else ran lucas with a hitch?

Jeepkid

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Dodge Ram 1500 TRX 4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Is there a reason you are wanting to use that fluid? It seems like you are concerned. Perhaps save that fluid for power steering or elsewhere and just get the actual stuff.

OP
OP
Huckleberry

Huckleberry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi five seven
well the only reason I was thinking about using it was because I was giving a free case of it and trying to find a use for it. Kinda like money burning a hole in your pocket haha

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca