Checking transmission fluid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ramtruck211

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Don’t know if this question is for the right thread. But I have 2019 ram 1500 classic v8 5.7 and one thing I can’t figure out is how to check the transmission fluid on this vehicle. Does anyone know how to and where it would be located? If I can even locate it or check it at all. I saw videos and read up on some article saying I can’t check it but some were saying I can check it. Figure if anyone in here would know. Thanks in advance

Last edited:

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ram decided not to include a dipstick because they claim the transmission is "lubed for life".

The manufacturer of the transmission (ZF) recommends fluid and filter service every 80k km (about 50k miles)

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Don’t know if this question is for the right thread. But I have 2019 ram 1500 classic v8 5.7 and one thing I can’t figure out is how to check the transmission fluid on this vehicle. Does anyone know how to and where it would be located? If I can even locate it or check it at all. I saw videos and read up on some article saying I can’t check it but some were saying I can check it. Figure if anyone in here would know. Thanks in advance

Just remember the golden rule for tranny maintenance & fluid checks, always pop out the fill plug before touching the drain plug.

Last edited:

NETim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Lots of threads about transmission fluid drain and fill procedure here.

This thread is fairly representative and does have the official ZF procedure. Our beloved Rams have to have the tail end lifted quite a ways to level out the transmission to get an accurate fill/level check on the ZF.

It's not difficult but you do have to have the right tools on hand. TALL jack stands etc.

https://www.ramforum.com/threads/8hp75-fluid-change-and-ppe-pan-experience.204029/

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Before this oem modern engine debauchery you could trust that you will be able to maintain your vehicles, now straight up buckle your seatbelts dorthy because kansas has gone byby. People had better read up before making future vehicle purchases, or better yet just take the blue pill next time. Every single year it is just getting worse, it will make what happens in Japan with disposable cars after 50k miles look like a picnic, and we thought it could never happen here, lmao.

I am definitely part of the problem, I had no idea what mds was til after I bought my truck. First and last time I will ever buy a vehicle in full ignorance.

Yeah you can check your fluid, the motor city mechanic has a two video series on it, as in watch both video's just to check the fluid and sadly I am not joking, about that at least. Just to check the level, lmoa? It is so sad it is tragic. Literally 15 minutes just to explain the process on how to check transmission fluid level.

BenchTest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not to add on more fluff, but procedure is key when servicing these transmissions. If you're automotive savvy and do a lot of regular, routine maintenance, the ZF procedures will sound similar to other makes/models of vehicles. If this is your first run at servicing a sealed transmission, do your homework. You'll undoubtedly run across a plethora of suggestions on what filter and fluid to use "because this document said, or he said..." <--- fair warning :) Everybody has an opinion on what is correct. And as @NETim said above, these trucks need a BUNCH of rear lift to level the trans during fill procedure. Be safe. And again, if you're new to this, do your homework prior. Preparation is key to success.

BenchTest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Before this oem modern engine debauchery you could trust that you will be able to maintain your vehicles, now straight up buckle your seatbelts dorthy because kansas has gone byby. People had better read up before making future vehicle purchases, or better yet just take the blue pill next time. Every single year it is just getting worse, it will make what happens in Japan with disposable cars after 50k miles look like a picnic, and we thought it could never happen here, lmao.

I am definitely part of the problem, I had no idea what mds was til after I bought my truck. First and last time I will ever buy a vehicle in full ignorance.

Yeah you can check your fluid, the motor city mechanic has a two video series on it, as in watch both video's just to check the fluid and sadly I am not joking, about that at least. Just to check the level, lmoa? It is so sad it is tragic.

You ready for the next wave? Government limited speeds in vehicles with remote kill capability? Coming in late '24 or early '25 per most news stories. Feds decided they need to have control over your upper speed via real-time ability to monitor, and if they deem necessary, shut you down or enact a limiter. Along with camera reporting from your own dash..and ability to "page out" your infractions (think vehicle reports you're doing 71 in a 55) to local law enforcement operating traffic enforcement. Big brother, force fed. Hope you're hungry :)

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
You ready for the next wave? Government limited speeds in vehicles with remote kill capability? Coming in late '24 or early '25 per most news stories. Feds decided they need to have control over your upper speed via real-time ability to monitor, and if they deem necessary, shut you down or enact a limiter. Along with camera reporting from your own dash..and ability to "page out" your infractions (think vehicle reports you're doing 71 in a 55) to local law enforcement operating traffic enforcement. Big brother, force fed. Hope you're hungry :)
Preacher meet the choir....

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

Yeah you can check your fluid, the motor city mechanic has a two video series on it, as in watch both video's just to check the fluid and sadly I am not joking, about that at least. Just to check the level, lmoa? It is so sad it is tragic. Literally 15 minutes just to explain the process on how to check transmission fluid level.

The downside to his video's is the fact they're 7 years old,and he doesn't level the transmission pan rail.Now a day's we know the pan rail should be levelled front to rear and side to side.

Attachments

• IMG_3383 (2).JPG
    IMG_3383 (2).JPG
    272.9 KB · Views: 9

T. Anders

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Has anyone ever seem this document? It's from ZF themselves and it's their recommended procedure for a fluid change on a ZF 8HP trans. I find it interesting that it makes no mention of leveling the trans flange as we see mentioned on here so often. It actually states the vehicle should be in a horizontal position on the platform. I'm planning on doing a trans fluid change on my Ram soon and this seems to add some confusion compared to what I normally see here.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct...aw1wXToHMzEVLTmXZY-N2gsY&ust=1665110159530610

KansasArt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How many threads are you gonna post this question in? You asked and were given several answers to support leveling the trans. And by members with far more knowledge than you & I. Time to put on your big boy pants and decide one way or another.

T. Anders

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How many threads are you gonna post this question in? You asked and were given several answers to support leveling the trans. And by members with far more knowledge than you & I. Time to put on your big boy pants and decide one way or another.
I posted the response here first and got no answers, so I started a new thread. Sorry if this upset you in some way.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You don't. The manufacturers became keenly aware of people's stubborn refusal to read, understand, and follow simple instructions in the owners' manuals. This was the few who even read, much less acknowledged said instruction guide as to how to operate and maintain a complicated machine.

Routinely, owners would check trans fluid on a cold day and there would be what appeared to be almost no trans fluid showing on the stick. Only the most astute would notice a 2-sided scale for low to high fluid level. The cold side was almost to the very end of the dipstick, and the hot side, (flip side of the stick) was quite a ways higher up the stick.

Conclusion biased customer, who thought following instructions was for chumps, would see how close to the end of the stick the fluid level was. Never mind that the transmission was working just fine. Said consumer, who just knew that facts be damned, more is always better and would put a couple of quarts of fluid into the trans and figured "That oughta do it!".

Resulting higher fluid level got up into the rotating masses of the gear train and clutch drums and was whipped into a frothy delight of aerated fluid. Inasmuch as air can be compressed, and fluid cannot, the pressures in the transmission's hydraulic circuits would drop precipitously. This resulted in burned out transmissions which the manufacturer would bleed to death financially fixing for the same consumer who unwittingly caused the root failure.

Nowadays, the procedure to check the fluid level requires a scan tool, raising the truck/ car up on a level lift, and removing a plug usually placed in a place designed to burn whoever tries to check the fluid, due to hot catalytic converters. Adding fluid, or the need to would constitute a leak. All but the properly trained or the non-faint of heart DIYer would or should attempt a repair.

But then, if one had read the owner's manual, they would have read and clearly understood the admonition to "See your local dealer and soon!" ;)