ZF Transmission Fluid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
$119.97 Canadian Pesos at Walmart for all 3View attachment 533457

Cheapest price I've ever seen out here in a very long time.

MOPAR can shuve that overpriced junk up their candy asses.

If Canadian money weren't so valuable, you could get it for much less! ;)

Gero

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I can play too! Love this stuff. It works for the ram as well as the odyssey we have.

Attachments

• IMG_20230903_212959.jpg
    IMG_20230903_212959.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 7

Jas34

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If your to lazy to search thats not my problem
WTF, dude, really? I realize this is the internet, but that's a pretty crappy reply.

That said, when I re-read your post, I initially took that to mean that using the Valvoline made a "big difference". That's what my question was...in what way. Re-reading it, I guess you meant there's a big difference between experimental and proven to work. Whatever. I'm familiar with all the online info on it.

FWIW, I was a dealership tech for a lot of years in a previous life. First Dodge, then Cadillac, then a few years with Mercedes Benz and somewhere in between a shop foreman in a VW/ Porsche dealership, as well as owner of my own repair business. So I tend to play by the book on most fluids, even on my own stuff, especially when it concerns transmission fluids. You're only replacing part of the fluid when you do a service, so why use something different on a transmission that shifts great. Other than price, I don't see a reason.

Have a better day.

Last edited:

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
so why use something different on a transmission that shifts great. Other than price, I don't see a reason.

The fact Dodge says its lifetime but ZF says otherwise is all I need to know. As well as that same owners manual now says to use 0w20 in a HEMI is laugphable. Its all ******** and EPA driven. Dodge gives zero ***** about longevity of your vehicle. Its just a scare tactic to sell overpriced junk to the public that think the owners manual is something they should follow.

And the price is a ******* joke to top it off. As someone with 3 vehicles its nice to be able to use the same engine oil in all of them R.L 5W30 and MaxLife in the trans ! Even though all 3 say to use their proprietary unicorn ****.

Ive been wrenching for 30y, heck I have a 2 post in my home shop. The only fluid I never found a good alternative for was that Audi Quatro T-Case oil I had in the wifes SUV back in the day, But it was priced within reason so there's that. And if you've also been wrenching for that long you know its all ******** for dealer to screw people so they can pay for that huge building .

Last edited:

js12278

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'll let others experiment with the aftermarket tranny fluids and I'll pay the stupid price for the OEM fluid knowing that I can find it and do it myself way cheaper than having someone else do it. How often do you have to service a supposedly "sealed for life" transmission anyway. I tow a bit and just bought the truck so I wanted to change all the fluids.

Valvoline has really upped their game in their offerings the last few years though. I really liked the toothpaste tube packaging of the gear oil I bought. Great idea for those of us laying on our back in a driveway. My lift days are over (mostly fortunately, except when I need to work on my vehicles).
Online Mopar techs uses it all the time, Valvoline multi vehicle. It’s safe, less expensive. I’ll use it next 50k service.

Last edited:

ADWarlock20

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
From the quarts you bought at the dealer, what does it smell like?
Mine had a distinct odor of the nastiest baby diaper. I kid you not. It’s also a dark green color. How’s your dealer quarts look?
I ordered the pack from Amazon in September for $96. Looked like the real deal. I've put about 5k miles on it since then and drives the same as it did before I changed the original fluid. Photo is comparing the amazon fluid out of the quart bottle vs the original fluid with 56k miles on it.

Attachments

• IMG_0766 - Copy.jpeg
    IMG_0766 - Copy.jpeg
    133.9 KB · Views: 11

HuskerRam

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
$119.97 Canadian Pesos at Walmart for all 3View attachment 533457

Cheapest price I've ever seen out here in a very long time.

MOPAR can shuve that overpriced junk up their candy asses.
I'll admit I haven't changed the fluid in any of my 8HPs before I traded the truck for a newer one...but I've got to think it's easier to change the fluid with the tranny still under the truck ;) (I see you've got one in the background).

But yeah, Valvoline Maxlife for the win.