Transmission flush/filter??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Octane

Reaction score
The shops in my area would only use a machine flush if you signed a waiver or showed them documentation that the trans had fluid changes every 60k miles.I do pan drops and between filter changes I drain fluid from pan and replace a few quarts.But I've never owned the 8 speed auto.

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I called a dealer in my area (twice) to get a ballpark price and schedule my 8 speed for a fluid and filter change, but they never called me back.

On another call, they quoted me $265 for the pan/filter and $29/qt for fluid. Capacity is 8.7 qts.

So, $526 just for parts. I'd be surprised if it was less than $800 from the dealer.

I ended up buying the Mopar pan and 7 qts of Mopar fluid from RockAuto for $325 shipped. Did the work myself and used about 5-1/2 qts of fluid in the process.

No way to get all the old fluid out, so I will get 4 or 5 fresh quarts of fluid and do a drain and fill after 4 or 5 k miles.

Wasn't super easy to do, but wasn't super hard either, just time consuming. Plenty of great instructions how to properly do here on this site.

Octane

Reaction score
I called a dealer in my area (twice) to get a ballpark price and schedule my 8 speed for a fluid and filter change, but they never called me back.

On another call, they quoted me $265 for the pan/filter and $29/qt for fluid. Capacity is 8.7 qts.

So, $526 just for parts. I'd be surprised if it was less than $800 from the dealer.

I ended up buying the Mopar pan and 7 qts of Mopar fluid from RockAuto for $325 shipped. Did the work myself and used about 5-1/2 qts of fluid in the process.

No way to get all the old fluid out, so I will get 4 or 5 fresh quarts of fluid and do a drain and fill after 4 or 5 k miles.

Wasn't super easy to do, but wasn't super hard either, just time consuming. Plenty of great instructions how to properly do here on this site.
I cant afford maintenance on an 8 speed then.I have the 6 speed

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I cant afford maintenance on an 8 speed then.I have the 6 speed

There are aftermarket pans that are cheaper, and quite a few members here that use them as well as using other brands of fluid with good results.

I personally chose to go with OE parts and fluid on mine. Just my preference. I paid more for the OE parts, sure, but still paid WAY LESS than at the stealership that I originially tried to call.

The changing process really wasn't too bad. In fact, the biggest help I got was from members and posts from this site.

I was overdue for my fluid/filter change, and my Ram didn't have harsh use either. I am so glad I did it, and I know it did my truck good.

Last edited:

Octane

Reaction score
I'm always incentivised to do my own work also, by calling a shop for their labor/ parts costs.I always go into shock at what most want.Like back in the day a muffler shop would repair broken manifold bolts for $100 and last I checked my local muffler shop wouldnt even do the job.And others want hundreds of dollars.Ridiculous.

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
If I had money, I could afford to have someone do the work. Problem is, I don't, and still can't exactly afford it, but it has to be done.

It is what it is.

Also, there's no guarantee that someone else will do the work properly either. Catch-22. At least I know what I did, and only me to blame.

danoday

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think you view your transmission fluid and filter as two different schedules as defined by your owners manual and I would recommend following it. However, I wouldn't discourage a flush in between recommended scheduled fluid changes, especially since for some owners it may take several years to hit the recommended interval. A flush would replenish fluid properties to maintain the life of your transmission over the years of operation. Most trans fluids (that i have had) that hit the service window for replacement are completely discolored and exhausted. While there is no replacement for a filter replacement keeping clean fresh fluid will minimize the particulates that enter in the filter. Again I am not suggesting a flush in luei of scheduled change, just in between.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

CVX20

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Have a local shop that does good work change the filters and do a fluid exchange. As mentioned before, print out the procedure and ask the shop to follow it to ensure the trans is filled correctly.

Ask the AAA guy, if the machine pushed all the crud out of the filter where does it go? The machine can't push it "forward" through the filter since the filter pores are what stopped the crud from going that direction in the first place. If the machine pushes the crud "backwards" through the filter, it will end up in the pan. I wouldn't let that shop touch my transmission.
Some of these machines actually do a bit of a backflush. It stirs up the crap that would normally stay put in the nooks and crannies and the valvebody lays in the stirred up crap.So while the suspended crap is floating around in the pan it gets into the valvebody before it gets filtered.The filtered fluid goes directly to the pump and then through the rest of the system.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Seems everything German is inordinately expensive. Not much design-for-service philosophy there, from what I've experienced.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Some of these machines actually do a bit of a backflush. It stirs up the crap that would normally stay put in the nooks and crannies and the valvebody lays in the stirred up crap.So while the suspended crap is floating around in the pan it gets into the valvebody before it gets filtered.The filtered fluid goes directly to the pump and then through the rest of the system.

I hear you, but there's no way to backflush or backwash a transmission. Fluid will not pump backwards trough them. Like said, I believe the term "flush" stems from marketing.

I've never seen one of these machines be anything other than a fluid exchanger that uses the transmissions own fluid pumping ability to do the work. I guess additives could be used that remove varnish, debris, but the last thing you want to do is move solids around in the system.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Never use them machines for your trans. Bottom line.

Its a risk not worth the high price.

Do it right. Change the filters and just do a fluid change (not a flush as its not needed). Flushes can cause more problems then they solve. The best practice is maintain it correctly from day one with fluid changes and new filters.

There are enough guys one here that can help get you through it if you want to do it yourself. Otherwise is take it to a shops that will follow the ACTUAL STEP BY STEP for that trans. Some have been known to skip some important steps like the temp of the fluid being correct during the change and making sure the trans is level with the ground.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CVX20

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I hear you, but there's no way to backflush or backwash a transmission. Fluid will not pump backwards trough them. Like said, I believe the term "flush" stems from marketing.

I've never seen one of these machines be anything other than a fluid exchanger that uses the transmissions own fluid pumping ability to do the work. I guess additives could be used that remove varnish, debris, but the last thing you want to do is move solids around in the system.
So you're saying that it's just a fluid exchanger and not a flusher.Can't tell you how many I've built shortly after being flushed,so some machines are obviously different than just an exchanger.

Octane

Reaction score
If it's pushing fluid in as it's pulling fluid out it is exchanging fluid and therefore flushing it, and anything in that fluid that is in the system.I no longer do it.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
These fluid exchangers/Flushing machines are and have been doing damage to the front pump in the transmission if the vehicle is running it overcomes the pump, even with the vehicle off it damages the pump, some vehicles start pumping fluid when you put it into drive like our trucks, all these suckers and pumpers, Rott.

boblonben

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys,
I have a 2017 Ram 1500 4wd with the Hemi and 8 speed transmission with 58k miles on it. I am going to do a transmission service and my local AAA shop says that they use a transmission flush machine that cleans EVERYTHING out and replaces the fluid. They're telling me that I don't need to change the filter/pan because the machine cleans it so well. Obviously, I would rather spend $225 instead of $900 at the dealer because they change the filter/pan. I've never towed anything and I don't put anything in the bed exceeding about 350lbs. Does anyone have any input on whether the transmission flush machines do a good enough job to not replace the filter/pan? BTW - I will be using AMSOIL synthetic fluid. TIA
Why change? ZF says to NOT do this with so few miles on it. Maybe around 1250K or something but 58K, nope. Since you do not tow or haulmuchyou're just wasting time and money.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Why change? ZF says to NOT do this with so few miles on it. Maybe around 1250K or something but 58K, nope. Since you do not tow or haulmuchyou're just wasting time and money.

ZF reconmends changing the fluid/filter between 50,000 to 80,000 miles,or every 8 years,which ever comes first,more often if you tow.You should do a little research before posting.
ZF is Germany based,they use Kilometers not miles,so you're way off on your milege projections

Last edited:

hemirunner426

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 built to serve
Engine
5.7 hemi
Do not do the trans flush thing... Also the 8 speed has no dipstick,oil level is crutial..USE ony ATF+4 fluid,anything else can affect shift quality and performance..

I would be doing this now only if my truck fell under the classification of severe service.

eddie046

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
NEVER use ATF+4 fluid in the ZF 8 speed. It is not compatible.
Do not do the trans flush thing... Also the 8 speed has no dipstick,oil level is crutial..USE ony ATF+4 fluid,anything else can affect shift quality and performance..

I would be doing this now only if my truck fell under the classification of severe service.

TimboRam77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I trust Scotty on this one. Drain and measure what come out. Filter replace and put in same amount that came out. Flush is a disaster. This is IMO after studying the subject way too much. Trust no one
Except the Lord...

eddie046

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
ZF reconmends changing the fluid/filter between 50,000 to 80,000 miles,or every 8 years,which ever comes first,more often if you tow.You should do a little research before posting.
ZF is Germany based,they use Kilometers not miles,so you're way off on your milege projections
My 2017 manual specifies no changing interval for the 8 speed. If you look through the forums Ram has stated repeatedly that these transmissions should never need a fluid change in normal us. That being stated I don't think I'll think about changing mine until 150K miles or so.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat