Transmission goes into 1st gear rather than drive

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HighDesertRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins Diesel
I have a 2022 4X4 Limited Ram 2500 with the Cummins diesel. In the past week, I have had three instances where I have started the truck, warmed it up, and shifted into drive where the truck has, by itself, selected 1st gear and stayed there (based upon the gear limiter) as I have pulled away from where I was parked.

I did not realize what was happening until the engine got loud and I looked at the tach and the transmission display. I spoke to the dealer where I have the truck serviced and I got a vague answer from the service rep that they had seen this before. I have an appointment to take the truck in to address this issue on April 24.

Has anyone else experienced this issue and if so, how was it resolved?

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
The 3 times that you noticed it, did you have a load or were you pulling a trailer, or was it on a hill ??

OP
OP
HighDesertRam

HighDesertRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins Diesel
The 3 times that you noticed it, did you have a load or were you pulling a trailer, or was it on a hill ??
Each time it happened I was on a completely flat surface, and no, I was not hooked up to tow. Nothing in the bed either.