2017 Isnt shifting out of first gear when in Drive

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rayluckadoo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi all. First post. Hope im doing this right! lol

I have a 2017 5.7, eight speed. For some reason my truck is not shifting out of gear one I put it in Drive. It did this once before, and I reset the ECM and that seemed to fix the problem. It shifted fine - no signs of anything mechanical in the transmission not working. This was about 1K miles ago. Yesterday, it started doing it again. The dash shows the the traction control light (off) though I have not turned it off. I assume there must be a sensor or something that is going bad. I'm a DIY guy and plan to fix it myself once I identify what is causing this issue. Has anyone seen something like this happen before?

119K miles, give or take. If that matters.

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
Hi all. First post. Hope im doing this right! lol

I have a 2017 5.7, eight speed. For some reason my truck is not shifting out of gear one I put it in Drive. It did this once before, and I reset the ECM and that seemed to fix the problem. It shifted fine - no signs of anything mechanical in the transmission not working. This was about 1K miles ago. Yesterday, it started doing it again. The dash shows the the traction control light (off) though I have not turned it off. I assume there must be a sensor or something that is going bad. I'm a DIY guy and plan to fix it myself once I identify what is causing this issue. Has anyone seen something like this happen before?

119K miles, give or take. If that matters.
Welcome to the forums

Is your truck 2 or 4WD ?

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
Have you collected error codes from the OBD port ?

OP
OP
R

rayluckadoo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well I've learned a bit more since first posting this question. I now realize that thw truck is going into limp mode and also has a camshaft position error. I changed that sensor not that long ago but I didn't use an OEM sensor. I'm hoping it is just a bunk sensor.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357