Transmission moan

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mr Grumpy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've had a poke through the site and not found anything related to my specific issue so here goes.

I have a '04 Ram 1500 quad cab Hemi Sport 4x4 with about 120,000 miles that I bought used in January.
The issue is pulling away from a standstill I get a brief moaning sound, I can't feel the trans slipping and it only seems to do it in 1st gear.
I was wondering if anyone has experienced this? if so is it a precursor to something more serious?
I have no idea when the trans fluid was last changed so thinking about changing that, what would be the best fluid to use? is it worth throwing one of those bottles of magic fluid in first? if so which one? or after the fluid change?

Any advice and insight gratefully received, thanks in advance.

moezer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Could be that the trans is on it's way out, put a bottle of lucas anti slip

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Mr Grumpy

Mr Grumpy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Doesn't sound like a fan clutch, noise sounds like it's coming from under the back seat when you're driving.

LoneWolf3574

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've never owned a 4x4 so I'm not positive on this but that sounds to me like that is about where the transfer case would be located. Have you checked the fluid level or changed it?

Snake15eyes1998

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I wouldn't put anything into your transmission, until you know forsure where the sound is coming from. What color is the fluid? Red? Brown? Black? I would do a transmission service for sure. In my transmission, I run amsoil full synthetic. Not sure what that noise could be.

OP
OP
Mr Grumpy

Mr Grumpy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well thanks to you all for your thoughts.
So I checked the fluid, it was a little low but well within limit, nice red colour, didn't smell burned.
I figured I'd try the cheapest solution first and work up.
To Canadian Tire this morning and bought a bottle of the Lucas stuff, my thinking being that if that doesn't work it's not likely to do any more harm and it'll just come out when I change the fluid. Warmed her up and poured the stuff slowly down the dipstick tube with it idling, checked the level, ran it through the positions and out for a road test. No Noise!
Seems to have worked, I'll know better when it's going from cold though.

Jason G Slabaugh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l hemi
Mine does that too only when its cold.. But only started after I changed brake pads and rotors. Doesnt do it all the time but worse when its damp out

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodie1990