Transmission shifts into natural while driving

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wvargas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
My 2021 Ram 2500 tradesman shifts into natural while driving and I get a "4WD Neutral warning vehicle may move even in park" message on my cluster. its normally happens when driving in the city traffic on warm or hot days or when parked with truck on again on hot days. the first time it happened I was at a McDonalds drive thru waiting on my order and it just shifted in to neutral and started to roll, you could imagine my surprise as I haven't even done my first oil change yet. last summer I was on a boat ram getting ready to drop my boat in the water and almost ended up with my brand new truck in the water very scary situation. has any one else experienced the same issue with their truck,

Attachments

• IMG_4539.jpg
    IMG_4539.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 4

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I don't have 4x4 on this truck, but I have to assume that yours is electronically engaged (my last truck had a manual stick on the floor). I think it may be something as simple as you not having the electronic 4x4 button - or knob, or switch - in the proper position. Not saying you don't know how to operate your truck, but I still have crap on this truck I haven't figured out yet. :rolleyes:

OP
OP
W

wvargas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
So just an update, so I’ve been researching and found a few other cases like mine and they all say that they take there truck to the dealership and they can not figure out the issue. So my first thought was that the linkage for the 4x4 shifter mite me bad so I checked it and it was good. Then I was thinking why dose it only happens on hot days. so while I was checking the linkage on the transfer case I noticed that there was a sensor/switch right over the lever where the 4x4 shifter connecting rod is attached to. Which I assumed was some kind of neutral switch. Which was funny to me because I had a “flashback” where I had a 88 Honda goldwing that was doing the same thing and I was able to repair it by replacing the natural switch. So I took a chance and bought a new switch. I’ve attached a picture of the switch and the part number. So I replaced the switch and I’m so happy to report that I fix the problem. No more shifting into neutral on its own.

Attachments

• IMG_1745.jpeg
    IMG_1745.jpeg
    138.2 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1744.jpeg
    IMG_1744.jpeg
    256.3 KB · Views: 8