Transmission slip/slow to engage on start up after sitting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dch703

Reaction score
Ram Year
1988 and 1991
Engine
Good morning,

I have a 2016 Ram 2500 4x4 (6.4l) quad cab with ~120k miles. I recently had the transmission serviced (fluid and filters). Since this service the transmission does not engage right away after sitting for several hours. The transmission seems to be working properly and the issue does not repeat unless the truck sits for several hours. Any clue what may be causing this?

Thanks

audiophile

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Sounds as though one or more drum seals are starting to harden. This allows the fluid to bypass the seal until the fluid gets warm enough to make the seal pliable again. Also, have you had the Trans served regularly or was this the first time?

jambbii

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's the anti drain back on your canister filter. I just found this out the hard way. Did a trans service on the wife's durango 65rfe (same filter setup as yours) and used a generic filter kit. Did the exact same thing as you. It was very annoying so I grabbed a mopar canister filter (there may be other good options as well) and the "slipping" stopped after sitting.

toyv84x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have fitted the ATP B245 kit a couple of years back and it was ok but noticed some drainback overnight that got worse and worse. Two weeks ago I did another ATF +4 and filter swap with another ATP B245 kit. Now it doesn't move for 2 minutes until pumped up and warm. Throwing code P0944 Loss of prime. Anyone found the ATP filters so this or am I likely suffering from pump issues?

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good morning,

I have a 2016 Ram 2500 4x4 (6.4l) quad cab with ~120k miles. I recently had the transmission serviced (fluid and filters). Since this service the transmission does not engage right away after sitting for several hours. The transmission seems to be working properly and the issue does not repeat unless the truck sits for several hours. Any clue what may be causing this?

Thanks
How recently was it serviced? I'd take it back and have them double check their work/fluid type and level as a first step.

toyv84x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Update on mine.......I looked in the pan and the pancake filter had come out. Typical issue but the seal was not strong so I had to use a new one which tapped in firmly and flush as advised. I guess it was flapping about and only when the fluid got hot was there expansion and some suction to pull the fluid. Was causing all the drainback issue I've had and throwing the code P0944. Fortunately no need to fix the governor valve or torque convertor. Although it's a matter of time for other parts replacement at 168K miles. I assume the ATP filters are fine and were not the issue after all so can't blame them for the record. Has Mopar in there now as I needed a new seal anyway and new ATF. Now next up is the P2706 code which kicks in every trip. Hoping for a wire issue, expecting a new solenoid pack or PCM. Might get lucky again!

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Easiest way to tell if it is just losing prime is to start the truck put it in neutral, idle for a 1-2 minutes then put in gear. If it goes into gear and moves normally chances are you just lost prime - then you have to look for the cause of that :)

The pump will circulate fluid in neutral but not in park - at least it doesn't on the 46RE and I am guessing the newer 68RFE speed is the same.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
Was the transmission serviced at any time prior? Or first time at 120k?

Lots of cases where a trans has been ignored for life and only serviced when it begins to show symptoms; then it gets worse. Not because of the service, but because it was going out already.

@pacofortacos gives an excellent explanation of the pump operation in Chrysler trans. Many older ones will leak down when the seals get old and hard. Using neutral at cold starts can extend the useful life for years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963