Trouble with display

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wmivey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm having trouble with my display (2018 Ram 1500) and I've had four units installed and after contacting Chrysler, their only solution is to go with number five. I've made at least 10 trips to the dealer to resolve this. It just randomly goes blank and you lose all functionality of the truck, except for what's in the instrument cluster. No AC, no heat, no camera, parking sensors, radio, blue tooth, and the list goes on. No one has a clue what to do. This problem presented itself when the truck was less than three months old, but was real random and rare. Now, it's frequent. Genuine assistance from higher ups is just not there. Does anyone have a clue what causes this? I'm ready to wholesale the truck and move to another model. The thing only has 27,000 miles on it and I like it otherwise. Help would be greatly appreciated.

ibike

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Replacing the same part four times you’d kinda think that must not be the problem. Coming from a Jeep Wrangler it seems Chrysler Fiat has a lot of trouble with getting and keeping the grounds grounded. I’d look at all my ground circuits.

OP
OP
W

Wmivey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That sounds like a good idea. I just wonder where they pick up the ground for that unit. I don't have a shop manual and don't have a clue where to start looking. I wonder if the grounds all end up in the engine compartment or are they under the dash.

ibike

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
In my wrangler they are every fricken where in unlikely spots. Kick panel. Under seat under the carpet and on the firewall. The thing is you gotta disconnect and remove paint and or corrosion. Not sure where you can find a ground point listing for our rams.

OP
OP
W

Wmivey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It's interesting that you bring grounding up. My background is aviation. In the mid 90's, we had an airplane that the auto pilot would randomly disconnect, sometimes with a jolting nose over first, and on at least one occasion the thing wouldn't engage on the entire flight from Atlanta to Calgary Canada. Maintenance swapped every box from that airplane to one just like it. The problem stayed on the same airplane. After about six months, the avionics shop found a poor ground. They disconnected it, burnished the thing and we never saw the fault again. Temperature has seemed to effect this fault, and resistance can vary with temperature, so I think you may be onto something. Finding where to look could be a challenge.