Troubles with the 5.7

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jackel87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
So new with 5.7 and dodge to start with. Had tick noise when running in general and read that can be normal. So thought nothing of it. I’m third owner of truck it’s a 2009 SLT big horn with 5.7 hemi @ 160,000 mi. Just recently(yesterday 8/31) started morning driving to work no issues drove home no issues. Sat for few hours and then went to grocery store. Started fine and drove. About a mile and started getting loud knock and vibration as well as a sense of stalling(but wasn’t showing on rpm gauge) and would blink check engine light for short time and stop. I was on regular streets so no high rpms. At times sounded like it was going to die. Got to store parked took video of motor for noise. Went in and got groceries(15-30mins) came out and risked chance to get home. But drove fine. No issues. No loud knocks. No struggle or stalling. This morning similar thing. Left for work to grab materials. Struggled and got there, as soon as I parked it died. Grabbed materials started her up and drove fine rest of day. Spent probably 2hours driving to get kids, dinner, and then spark plugs and coil packs. Swapped them out and I’d say after 5-6hrs sitting started it after changing everything. Ran it around block and started same synopsis.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
have You checked for codes ? That is where to start ,not just throwing parts . Sounds like it may be something in the fuel system, maybe the relay. find the search function on this site,lots have had similar issues.

KKBB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sounds like typical hemi lifter/cam going to crap issue.