2022 Big Horn rear end troubles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mikev55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My troubles started at 11 months and 24,000 miles. I had a knocking sound in the drivetrain which the dealer thought was from around the yoke (after 5 days of checking) so they put Loctite on it. I said do you really think that's going to hold up? The noise came back in a few months so this time (different dealer) found a bulletin that referenced it that said to lube it. I told them I thought that would just cushion the noise not fix anything but they said that's what the Ram bulletin said to do. That lasted 6 weeks then a loud grinding noise started. Now the pinion bearing and spider gears are shot. This is at 18 months and 42,000 miles. I sometimes tow a 10' utility trailer, a 10' dump trailer with firewood in it, and occasionally my car hauler with my compact tractor on it. Nothing really heavy and of course that's what I got it for. This is my first Ram after having two Sierras that both had 100,000 trouble free miles. I'm wondering if this is a one off or are these rears a problem as I'm starting to regret not going GMC again.

KYPOTLICKER

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Newer member, been lurking for a while. Does not seem to be a problem that comes up often on the forum

leblanc272

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just got my 2022 Laramie 4x4 out of the shop. 39,600 miles anf the rear end was shot. there was so much metal shavings in the rear end that all the axle bearings, carrier bearings and pinion bearing were shot and had damages the shafts also. the only think I pull is a19 ft bass boat from time to time, and not very far. It took 12 days of parts changing for the dealer to get me my truck back. I am looking at trading it in now. This was my 1st Ram and its the most comfortable riding truck i have had, but major issues at less than 40K miles and can expect the manifold bolts to break next, I'm out. going back to Ford or taking a chance on a GMC product

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I'm out. going back to Ford or taking a chance on a GMC product
Where's the famous "I'm never buying another Ram" ? Just a head up there has been people coming from every other brand out there who has said the same thing in their previous forum.
Rear end failures are quite rare with the Ram trucks, both 1500 and HD trucks. With the number of trucks produced every year the percentage is probably under 1%. For scope of what 1% is and using low ball estimate numbers, it's about 5000 trucks or less than the number of trucks produced at one plant in a week.
The bigger problem that is usually the cause for customer dissatisfaction for any brand is how the dealership remedies the issue. People have reported waking away from trucks and brands due to multiple attempts and/or excessively long repairs which fall directly on the dealership but the brand takes the blame. If you find a dealership that takes care of you, best to stick with them regardless of the brand of truck.

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
The diffs in the trucks are from american axle in the RAMs. I almost sure GM buys them as well? Its been a few since my wife worked for AAM, but both GM, and stalantis bought differentials from them at one time not that long ago.

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My troubles started at 11 months and 24,000 miles. I had a knocking sound in the drivetrain which the dealer thought was from around the yoke (after 5 days of checking) so they put Loctite on it. I said do you really think that's going to hold up? The noise came back in a few months so this time (different dealer) found a bulletin that referenced it that said to lube it. I told them I thought that would just cushion the noise not fix anything but they said that's what the Ram bulletin said to do. That lasted 6 weeks then a loud grinding noise started. Now the pinion bearing and spider gears are shot. This is at 18 months and 42,000 miles. I sometimes tow a 10' utility trailer, a 10' dump trailer with firewood in it, and occasionally my car hauler with my compact tractor on it. Nothing really heavy and of course that's what I got it for. This is my first Ram after having two Sierras that both had 100,000 trouble free miles. I'm wondering if this is a one off or are these rears a problem as I'm starting to regret not going GMC again.

lets see the paper work from the dealer showing what they did.
it sounds like neither your or the dealer knew what the sound was. all we can do is speculate at this point.
what did they put loctite on ?
did they take the rear end apart ?
this sort of stuff happens everyday. guy buys new truck. truck makes a noise so tekes it back to dealer. dealer dont know whats wrong but makes the problem worse in their repair attempt. guy goes ranting on the forums swearing he wont ever buy brand x ,y ,z again

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
up to about July 2010
the Dodge Ram 1500s used AAM rear differentials
for the 2011 Dodge Ram, they wanted to lighten the weight of the rear differential, so they began using a German rear differential, made by ZF, the 1500s rear differentials are still made by ZF today

Mopar Insiders indicate that the 2019 Ram 3500 uses the AAM front & rear axles

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
The diffs in the trucks are from american axle in the RAMs. I almost sure GM buys them as well? Its been a few since my wife worked for AAM, but both GM, and stalantis bought differentials from them at one time not that long ago.
Not in the 1500's,they used to be AAM / Corporate diffs in the 1500's,but they switched to ZF diffs in 2011. I think the HD's still use the AAM diff