Truck possessed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rcsund

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I have a 98 Cummins. About a month ago when I would hit a bump I would lose power to my accessories. It did not affect the head lights. My dash gauges and radio would lose power and than come back on. Next it started doing this when you would move the shifter. Going from park to drive, reverse to drive etc. Now when ever you touch the brake pedal it does the same thing. The truck can be in neutral and you touch the brake pedal and the accessories lose power. If you are driving down the road and touch the pedal the same thing happens. It is driving me up the freaking wall. I have gone under the hood and checked the fuse box and everything there. My neighbor installs stereos and car alarms. He is usually the car electronics go to guy and he has no idea. I posted on the Cummins forum and nothing. Somebody please help before I drive this thing into a tree.

OP
OP
R

rcsund

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
So, I went outside and started the truck, it fired right up. When I turned on the lights lost all power to gauges (except light) and radio. The lights were extremely dim. When the light is switched to running lights the gauges and radio come back. The batteries and alternator were checked and said to be fine.

HolyRamBatman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I suspect a bad ground somewhere.

With the brakes being a visual trigger...start looking in that area.

Turn the truck on and start wiggling wires in that area. Hopefully you will find your problem here. If not keep searching.

Hope this helps.

Welcome to RF.

fastSdime

Reaction score
Ram Year
1999 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum 360
I have a similar issue. It's been driving me crazy for a year now. Mine isn't my radio and dash lights, Mine is my blower motor and heat controls. Hit the brakes and it cuts out, hit the defrost button and it cuts out. Turn the blinker on and it turns on and off with the blinker.... Its cold in Kansas and it sucks. I'm going to get it in my shop and double check all my grounds.

jf5.9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
I had the "hit the brake pedal lose the radio" problem. Ended up being a bad ground to the aftermarket radio. Sounds like it might be worth while checking your multifunction switch in the column as well as your head light plunger. Its either those or a bad ground, and nobody likes looking for bad grounds.